Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 Data Found

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Really cool to see "what might have been".

That second stage gives me big AOF 3 vibes.
They look gorgeous. Seeing a fan interpretation of the backgrounds makes me wish for a fan version of the game to be completed some day.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Came here after a long time only to find out that my avatar made it into MOTW2 proto....

but with his fucking arms and legs broken and not playable.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Not sure what all will make it out publicly, but It would be cool if someone hacked some of the completed assets into MOTW and made a MOTW 1.5

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Not sure what all will make it out publicly, but It would be cool if someone hacked some of the completed assets into MOTW and made a MOTW 1.5
We'd need a lot more sprites to come out. Right now I don't even think we have full frames for any of the new characters to have idle stances, let alone moves.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
This guy took an unfair beating here for his comment above. The language translator likely butchered what he was trying to say.

Here’s some additional KEY information about the origin of these “Garou Special” pics; and what I believe this guy was referring to with his comments about a CRT being involved.

I had to dig really deep to find these, which was why I was so late to chime in here. Here are the alleged origins of these 2 infamous screenshots. (taken of it being played on a home CRT)

Picture 1

View attachment 58727

Picture 2

View attachment 58728
Ok well this has to be then certainly debunked. along with all the previous info there is no way a japanese dev would take a photo of the prototype in his American looking house with a Louis Armstrong knick knack on top of his tv. Would be cool to see the guy who made this to come out and say its fake.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Ok well this has to be then certainly debunked. along with all the previous info there is no way a japanese dev would take a photo of the prototype in his American looking house with a Louis Armstrong knick knack on top of his tv. Would be cool to see the guy who made this to come out and say its fake.

I’m still not totally convinced that the screenshots have been 100% debunked. But I have to admit that the analysis and comparison has certainly brought them into question.

However, I don’t think a Japanese developer took those pictures. And I don’t believe it’s an American house either. The only thing that is however certain (and suspect) is that the game is running in US mode because it has the fixed layer credit displays on both sides of the screen. (And the character Marco Rodriguez being named as such)

As for the guy who took the actual pictures, I don’t know if I can trace them that far back to the original source, but, and in case it interests anyone, here is the actual text (translated) that was posted along with the pictures way back then:

“…There were several images spread regarding the supposed continuation
of Garou MOW some time ago. More or less in the period after the bankruptcy of SNK, alleged images circulated on the Internet that it would possibly be a beta version of the continuation of Garou Mark Of Wolves, from the series Garou Densetsu (Fatal Fury). Garou 2 or Garou: Legacy Of Might, would have been produced by SNK itself had it not gone bankrupt. Will it be?

As far as we know, there is an Alpha version, albeit with a lot of errors. This version does not have Introduction sequences or final illustrations. But over
the victory screen, there is a single dialogue between Terry Bogard and Rock Howard, which Rock holds some sort of grudge against Terry for not telling the whole truth
about his father (Geese).

You can also see the return of Andy Bogard with a new look and style similar to Eiji Kisaragi from Art Of Fighting 2. In one of these two images, Ryo Sakazaki dressed as Mr. Karate as in Fatal Fury Wild Ambtion.
It was initially unknown if Kain and Grant
would be in the game…”

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I can't help but wonder if the person who posted these (fake) images 20 years ago realizes that nerds are still debating this after all this time.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Really cool to see "what might have been".

That second stage gives me big AOF 3 vibes.
SNK really had a thing for Latin America, it seems. Even before they leaned into their unexpected audience in the 00s. AOF3, Grant's stage in MOW, now this, Nazca and the first mission in Slug 1, etc.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SNK really had a thing for Latin America, it seems. Even before they leaned into their unexpected audience in the 00s. AOF3, Grant's stage in MOW, now this, Nazca and the first mission in Slug 1, etc.
Likely only due to it being foreign and mysterious = good art direction. I wouldn't be too deep about it.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
The thread connects across multiple teams. Nazca formed independant before being bought by SNK so that's a coincidence. Beyond that, maybe there were some good art books floating around the offices. KOF would always have representation because of the international tournament feel.

Still, it's fun. SNK's sprite art beautifully captures the geometry of Aztec stonework.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Plus the "aztic" ruins in stage 8 of AF2.