Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 Data Found

geladobom

War Room Troll
This guy took an unfair beating here for his comment above. The language translator likely butchered what he was trying to say.

Here’s some additional KEY information about the origin of these “Garou Special” pics; and what I believe this guy was referring to with his comments about a CRT being involved.

I had to dig really deep to find these, which was why I was so late to chime in here. Here are the alleged origins of these 2 infamous screenshots. (taken of it being played on a home CRT)

Picture 1

View attachment 58727

Picture 2

View attachment 58728
Thanks for posting the shots, i was unable to find them. But Mr. Karate could be MUGEN or we can unlock him on Garou's first game? There is a dreamcast version too.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Thanks for posting the shots, i was unable to find them. But Mr. Karate could be MUGEN or we can unlock him on Garou's first game? There is a dreamcast version too.
I have the dreamcast version. Mr karate is not in it. Neither is this stage. No significant new content in the game other than an arranged soundtrack.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
This guy took an unfair beating here for his comment above. The language translator likely butchered what he was trying to say.

Here’s some additional KEY information about the origin of these “Garou Special” pics; and what I believe this guy was referring to with his comments about a CRT being involved.

I had to dig really deep to find these, which was why I was so late to chime in here. Here are the alleged origins of these 2 infamous screenshots. (taken of it being played on a home CRT)

Picture 1

View attachment 58727

Picture 2

View attachment 58728

Blast from the Past. I haven't seen these in a long time, Billy.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Have you even played motw?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
15 years ago it wasn't difficult to buy a PC graphics card that would output composite or S-video to a consumer CRT. My Sony Vaio laptop back in the day had S-video out.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
15 years ago it wasn't difficult to buy a PC graphics card that would output composite or S-video to a consumer CRT. My Sony Vaio laptop back in the day had S-video out.
yeah they pretty much all had them back in the day

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yep. This was the basis for many MAME arcade cabinets at the time since monitors larger than 20" were extremely expensive but large TVs were fairly cheap.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Can you find the kick move that is used in the screenshot?

I'm not sure it's Evil Ken. The shoulder and hands don't really match up.

I would like the story behind these pics, but it's most likely Mugen/hacked rom.

I sorta wish the original creator would release this horrible Mugen MOTW2 with Mr. Karate.

I don't see why he would have been in MOTW2. The only AOF character to make an appearance was Ryo in FFS, right? He was a hidden character and not canon. AOF takes place 10 years before anyway (prior to them disregarding this for KOF).

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
It could be a ryo kof sprite, he's got blond hair and a karate gi too. Not familiar enough with his kicks to identify the sprite but it's got to be one or the other, no one would draw a brand new sprite for this sort of thing. I might boot up some roms later and see if I can find the exact sprite used.

I was looking around for Mugen MOTW fan games in case the image came from one that was released, and I found one called Ultimate Garou from around 2011, which includes Mr Karate... But it's Takuma based Mr Karate who looks very different, and basically no other aspects of the game match the screenshot. The game is more of a kof thing anyway, featuring characters like Kula, who have fuck all to do with the FF franchise.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Is that Louie Armstrong on top of the TV?
That TV model does not look like anything NA NTSC.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I've been following this at Twitter. It's really something else that actual data of Garou 2 survived after 20+ years or so.