Games that you like but not the arcade version?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Anyone have a game they love that is a port of an arcade game but the port is so superior in every way that it seems like a waste to get the inferior arcade original? Mine would have to be Soul Calibur. I love that game but the Dreamcast version was just better in almost every way. Character selection, graphics, features. I have always loved that game but when I look at the arcade version compared to the DC version I am just disappointed.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Tekken Tag Tournament, and I own both versions.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'd say I prefer NES TMNT 2 to the arcade game. It has those extra Shogun and Tora the Polar Beast levels.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
King of fighters Dream match 1999 for Dreamcast
Street Fighter Zero 3 Saikyo dojo for Dreamcast
Real Bout fatal Fury Special dominated mind for PlayStation 1
Soul Calibur for Dreamcast of course
Street fighter EX2 plus for PlayStation 1

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
the only one, off the top of my head, i can think of is guerrilla war. i preferred the nes over the arcade...granted i played the arcade via emulation. i preferred the aesthetics, sound, and music on the nes.

i'll add baseball stars for nes too...though it could be considered too different to be the same game.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Since I’m not a big Namco fan, no, I can’t think of any. There are some Capcom ones that gained a few features for the home versions but of course then come the load times, cut animation, etc that negate the benefits. Fatal Fury Special on PCE is very good but also very load.

Maybe Vampire Savior for Saturn is better than the PCB but…not really. Street Fighter Zero 3 was majorly upgraded for home but also kinda dicked with so really I’m not sure there really is a “best” version of that game at all.

Pretty much all Neo ports suck on all platforms other than…Twinkle Star Sprites? That’s a good one, SS and DC.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Toki: Going Ape Spit is a pretty far departure from Toki the arcade game, but it's a better game, I think.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Turtles in Time on SNES had extra stages and Slash was way cooler than the mud monster

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Power Stone 2 for me.

Also while the genesis version probably isn't "better" I prefer the home version of NBA JAM T.E. but only because of hours logged.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Contra on NES, vastly better than the original arcade game.

Same with Bionic Commando.

On SNES, UN Squadron/Area 88. Much more enjoyable than the arcade version with more strategy options, the ability to fly multiple planes, choosing your own stage order, a better unlockable progression…

Turtles in Time was mentioned before, but I wanted to reenforce it. The snes version is lacking 4players, but it has extra stages and the most important feature for me is the option to change dashing/sprinting to a double-tap instead of auto like in the arcade version.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Contra on NES, vastly better than the original arcade game.

Same with Bionic Commando.

On SNES, UN Squadron/Area 88. Much more enjoyable than the arcade version with more strategy options, the ability to fly multiple planes, choosing your own stage order, a better unlockable progression…

Beat me to it; these three, are my main pics.

Also-Saturn Vampire Savior is for sure superior in every way. Omake options let you choose RGB out…plug it into a cab w/ a console—-> JAMMA adapter, and voila:

Vampire Savior 1 & 2 in one game.

Better than arcade perfect, both on a TV or a cab.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Can I add
Vampire chronicles for Dreamcast
Fatal Fury 2 for Genesis
Capcom vs SNK pro for PlayStation 1

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Solomon's Key is better on NES than Arcade. It's more distilled and plays quicker.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Beat me to it; these three, are my main pics.

Also-Saturn Vampire Savior is for sure superior in every way. Omake options let you choose RGB out…plug it into a cab w/ a console—-> JAMMA adapter, and voila:

Vampire Savior 1 & 2 in one game.

Better than arcade perfect, both on a TV or a cab.

It has the VS2 characters added back in but does it have the VS2 intros and endings?

I’m very familiar with Saturn VS but not arcade VS2…

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The only thing missing, is the Dirty Beret splash screen.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Aren’t there gameplay differences between VS1 and VS2?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
All the ex stuff and more is in the Saturn rev. The Saturn version combines characters of 1 & 2, adds shadow characters, and moves of both arcade revs+ console only moves.

Have you ever read DieHard Gamefan? Or gamefaqs?

Jeebus, dude.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Bloody Wolf on PCE, I dig the music waaaay more than the arcade version, even with the lack of 2-player.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
All the ex stuff and more is in the Saturn rev. The Saturn version combines characters of 1 & 2, adds shadow characters, and moves of both arcade revs+ console only moves.

Have you ever read DieHard Gamefan? Or gamefaqs?

Jeebus, dude.

If Gamefan ever covered VH2/VS2 then I missed that issue. I bought basically every issue I saw. I even have the “Jeddah’s Damnation” strategy guide they made. I bought the Saturn version on release day and never paid attention to the others. I now have the Switch collection and I’m having a hard time telling the difference between the games.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
If Gamefan ever covered VH2/VS2 then I missed that issue. I bought basically every issue I saw. I even have the “Jeddah’s Damnation” strategy guide they made. I bought the Saturn version on release day and never paid attention to the others. I now have the Switch collection and I’m having a hard time telling the difference between the games.
I will show you my beef