Games That Should Have Been On The NEOGEO

Artabasdos

War Room Troll
I'm currently playing some Smash TV and I can't help but wonder how much better this game would have been on the Neo.

I also wonder what Super Mario Bros would have looked like on the system.

What games do you think would have benefited from the SNK treatment?

Dunno. A lot of the earlier NEOGEO games barely looked any better than the Megadrive/SNES/PC Engine colour wise. Then again, nor did a lot of earlier arcade games, such as on the CPS1.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Crystalis for sure...

But I think a Streets of Rage game and maybe Blades of Vengeance are my picks.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
By "SNK treatment" I meant that, in my opinion, SNK had a unique way of designing games. Also, games on the Neo, in general, have huge sprites and fluid animation. And a lot of them have an energy bar which fills up that allows the player to execute some kind of devastating, epileptic seizure inducing flashing, screen filling attack that slows down gameplay temporarily. Guess I could have worded that better.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
By "SNK treatment" I meant that, in my opinion, SNK had a unique way of designing games. Also, games on the Neo, in general, have huge sprites and fluid animation. And a lot of them have an energy bar which fills up that allows the player to execute some kind of devastating, epileptic seizure inducing flashing, screen filling attack that slows down gameplay temporarily. Guess I could have worded that better.

What kind of vague nonsense is this?

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A nice rip of the first Shinobi would have been a dream. Neither MagLord nor Ganryu nor 8Man are making up for it.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
How is that vague? In my experience that is how alot of games on the Neo are so that's what I meant by "SNK treatment".

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You described pretty much every fighter since 94 made by snk, capcom, or anyone else.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

I'd like to read your description of Super Mario Bros. with the "SNK treatment" applied to it. Maybe accompanied by a couple of mock-up drawings done in MS Paint.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have always wanted to play Neo Turf Masters with a trackball. Therefore I would like a port of Golden Tee.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I would have loved to see a Boxing game, Crossed Swords proves that it could have been awesome.

Tennis game, hell yeah, the NGPC game is so good, it could have been great having a big brother with 4P link up!

Maybe more platformers, as in more awesome platformers, the genre is so thin on the Neo...it's thin on that arcade era pretty much, seems like platforming went console exclusive there for a long while. I want more than Ghoulies you know...

NTM with a trackball could be interesting but the real thrill of the game comes from the timing phases, the physics in the game are phenomenal due to a very straight forward command system. They expand on the results of that command system as opposed to expecting you to do the pinpoint irregularities...I dunno, maybe I'm way over my head. Golden Tee is good where it is.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
we have legend of success joe you heathen

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Super Mario Kart type game done with SNK characters. Not sure if it would technically be possible to do "mode 7" style effects on the Neo-Geo hardware though.

Also, Doom.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
How is that vague? In my experience that is how alot of games on the Neo are so that's what I meant by "SNK treatment".

You're using a vague/generic stereotypical description to generalize the "design" of games created by a variety of developers on a platform whose catalogue spans 14 years.

"Energy bar"? The meters in the mid-90's and up fighting games? Fighting game supers/DM's aren't exclusive to the Neo Geo, nor are they synonymous with slowdown. I also don't see how epilepsy has anything to do with things either.

You want a modern Smash TV remake/rip-off, fine. You don't need to make outrageous statements at the Neo Geo's expense.

Last edited:

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
I'd like to read your description of Super Mario Bros. with the "SNK treatment" applied to it. Maybe accompanied by a couple of mock-up drawings done in MS Paint.

I wouldn't mind doing that but I can already foresee the bashing, flaming and "OMG you n00b idiot" replies.

Last edited:

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
You're using a vague/generic stereotypical description to generalize the "design" of games created by a variety of developers on a platform whose catalogue spans 14 years.

"Energy bar"? The meters in the mid-90's and up fighting games? Fighting game supers/DM's aren't exclusive to the Neo Geo, nor are they synonymous with slowdown. I also don't see how epilepsy has anything to do with things either.

You want a modern Smash TV remake/rip-off, fine. You don't need to make outrageous statements at the Neo Geo's expense.

You described pretty much every fighter since 94 made by snk, capcom, or anyone else.

The energy/super move bar was done by SNK first. Samuari Shodown pioneered that game mechanic. SNK also introduced the "taunting" feature as well.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The energy/super move bar was done by SNK first. Samurai Shodown pioneered that game mechanic. SNK also introduced the "taunting" feature as well.

The POW gauge in Samsho 1 (1993) isn't used for super moves because there aren't any. You're just looking for the presence of a bar here, so maybe you should call it a visual gimmick and not a "game mechanic".

SSFII Turbo (1994) has a meter used for super moves. The Pow gauge influences the super moves that are present in Samsho2 ( also 1994 but released after Super Turbo).

You never mentioned taunting in your OP, so it really has no place in this dialogue.

Now you can argue that SNK pioneered super moves/desperation moves, but they had nothing to do with the "energy meter" you were talking about.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Talking about SDMs...I always felt AOF was an extension or a spirit successor to SF87, I know it's supposed to be part of the team behind it, but even after SF got the FF treatment in all things gravity and such, AOF never followed in that direction, not even after FF did, I know it's just my opinion but it's so evident though.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
The POW gauge in Samsho 1 (1993) isn't used for super moves because there aren't any. You're just looking for the presence of a bar here, so maybe you should call it a visual gimmick and not a "game mechanic".

SSFII Turbo (1994) has a meter used for super moves. The Pow gauge influences the super moves that are present in Samsho2 ( also 1994 but released after Super Turbo).

You never mentioned taunting in your OP, so it really has no place in this dialogue.

Now you can argue that SNK pioneered super moves/desperation moves, but they had nothing to do with the "energy meter" you were talking about.

No other game, that I'm aware of, had that "visual gimmick" before Samuari Shodown. Other games improved on it and added their own twist to it, but SNK had the idea first to have any other kind of meter on screen other than a life meter.

Last edited:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
"Why do you only post in the marketplace and tech help?"

Just make a "Post names of video games" thread that people seem to love so much. Then you'll be a contributor! :thevt:

"Hi gaiz, metal jezuz here with another hidden gems video...guess what we're having to day? The prestigious Neo Geo Hidden Gems top 40 video!!!! Yay!!!!!"

1sbValj.png