Games on other arcade hardware that feels like neogeo

Mr^Burns

n00b
There are other much lesser known arcade boards that have very neogeo feeling games on them, we can exclude the IGS PGM boards as they are blatant great attempts at extending the neogeos spiritual life in Taiwan, and also stuff like pre-Metal Slug Into The Hunt.

Gaelco's GAE1/CG-1V:

It's crazy how similar this game feels to Neo Drift Out.

Made by a Spanish team.

Neo Drift Out with a snowboard.

Kanekos motorola 68000 based hardware:

Great 1000 Miles Rally 1 & 2

Again very similar to Neo Drift Out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTm5JoX6K2g

Psikyo's Sh2 hardware:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlbLYhYOCKo

Daraku Tenshi : The Fallen Angels, ok this one is actually made by Snk people.

Do you have any similar games you feel are neogeoish?, let me know!.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Vasara by Visco is my pick. First time I saw the game, it hit me in the face that it had that "Visco" quality about it. It immediately reminded me of their later Neo offerings. Even though it's a true vertical/tate shmup, the Visco style will always scream "Neo Geo" to me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks way too much like Metal Slug.
Gun Force II is basically Metal Slug beta edition. That aside Gun Force II has such a dark and gritty theme that just kicks ass despite it being far less refined. You'll also find a lot of sound effects from Gun Force II in Metal Slug if you listen closely.

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Irem M107 maybe as well. Fire Barrel stikes me as something that has that Neo-style chunky spritework.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
That In The hunt game was basically a Neo Geo game
Gun Force II is basically Metal Slug beta edition. That aside Gun Force II has such a dark and gritty theme that just kicks ass despite it being far less refined. You'll also find a lot of sound effects from Gun Force II in Metal Slug if you listen closely.
Well, it's no secret it was made by the same team who later formed Nazca Corporation. Hell, even Hiya! stated that they used the same tools with both Neo Turf Masters and Metal Slug when developing titles at Irem (https://pixelatedaudio.com/turfmasters/), in conjuction with the SNK development kit!

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Definately Irem stuffs. Comic Cop and R-Type Leo are ones that really surprised me.

skunk_ape

n00b
Could probably think of dozens but the two that immediately come to mind are “Night Slashers”, from Data East when they were at their early-mid nineties prime. Picture SNK’s Beast Busters but as a beat-em’ up. Just has that great deep color palette and spritework that screams Neo.

9BC581BE-A145-45F5-9D57-DCBB88AE5B69.jpeg

Also a slightly obscure basketball game from Video System by the name of “3-On-3 Dunk Madness”... its actually an unreleased prototype but the rom is freely available. Something of a mix between Street Hoop/Dunk Dream with the NBA presentation of Konami’s Run & Gun. If you have even a passing interest in either of those two games you must check this out. If I had seen it inside a Neo cab back in the day I would’ve dumped a ton of quarters into it.

62E64AA7-2FC9-42A0-9BFD-229E3F68774F.jpeg

On the fighter side, the “Asura” games (Blade/Buster) by Fuuki were two late nineties weapons based fighters that feel almost like something that would’ve dropped during the Playmore era (for better or worse I suppose) Not the deepest gameplay but great presentation and unique character design.

9BF7973C-2052-4D33-9CD4-D405A5E4522D.png

Dragoon Might is effectively Konami’s version of Samurai Spirits but not quite as polished. Borrows from a few of its contemporaries and has some unique features. Worth checking out if you dig Sam Sho or Savage Reign/Fuun Tag Battle.

51249BEA-7BEA-4D8C-A950-9E4F9A56FC10.png

Also big ups to whoever mentioned “Heavy Smash”... great game. Very Windjammers feel. Was actually the first game I thought of when I read the topic.

Last edited:

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
+1 for In the Hunt and Kaneko’s Great 1000 mile Rally 1-2 I have these cabs next to my MVS 4 slot for that reason.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
I always thought the first Power Instinct would have felt right at home on the Neo Geo.