Game opinions thread (what did you play, what did you think?)

fake

King of Typists
Finally getting around to Bayonetta 2 on Smitch.

Bayo 1 was tied for my favorite game of last gen (along with Super Mario Galaxy) so I was really looking forward to this. I'm only an hour or so in, and I'm glad to see the gameplay and combat really hasn't changed much. The graphics look like they could've been from the 360, but oh well. Really looking forward to playing through this and getting gold medals for each battle.

I also downloaded the Langrisser I & II demo. I love that the OG character portraits, bitmap maps, and OG BGM are available, but I hate that they animated their mouthes and eyes during the dialogue. I also wish they had the original battle sequences and sprites rather than this bogus Flash style shit. I'll probably buy the full game when it's on sale. SRPGs are definitely not my cup, but I love the early '90s anime style so much that I'm really drawn to the series.

jro

Gonna take a lot
Langrisser I and II on Switch is really good. The new art is ugly as hell indeed, though, agreed. I think you can change to the old character sprites but maybe you can't change to the old backgrounds?

Bayo II is still a fun game but it's much easier than Bayo I and loses something due to that, IMO. I've replayed B1 four-ish times and it never gets boring since it stays so challenging (and the ranking system is very strict), but I got bored about a third of the way through my second playthrough of II and never went back. Much more forgiving ranking system also which is neither here not there.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
Langrisser I and II on Switch is really good. The new art is ugly as hell indeed, though, agreed. I think you can change to the old character sprites but maybe you can't change to the old backgrounds?

Bayo II is still a fun game but it's much easier than Bayo I and loses something due to that, IMO. I've replayed B1 four-ish times and it never gets boring since it stays so challenging (and the ranking system is very strict), but I got bored about a third of the way through my second playthrough of II and never went back. Much more forgiving ranking system also which is neither here not there.

Bayo 2 was a fun one for sure. I played it on Switch and even in handheld mode it still kept me hooked in. I do agree with the notion that it was a bit easier, I finished it but it did lose a smidge of it's charm as a result

fake

King of Typists

You can change to the old character portraits for when they pop up in dialogue, and you can change to the old level backgrounds. But when it goes to the battle scenes, it turns into that gross web comic looking style. I'd be tempted to play Langrisser 1 on Genesis, but I'm betting there are a lot of QoL updates in the Switch version that make it worth bearing through the bad art :lolz:

Yeah, I did notice Bayo2 seems a bit easier but I was hoping it was just because it was the first few levels. My cat doesn't really watch TV but when she saw parts of Bayo2 she was tranfixed. I showed my GF and I was anticipating her thinking the character design of Bayonetta was cringe but she thought she was badass.

I'm really kicking myself for what I did with my Bayo1 saves. I was clearing HDD space on my 360 and meant to delete the install files of Bayo1 but accidentally deleted my saves where I had beat the game on every difficult from normal on up and got at least gold for ever fight. Uhhhg. It's been so long that I can play it again and it will feel fresh, though. I'm betting Bayo3 won't be out for another few years.

jro

Gonna take a lot
Morbid: The Seven Acolytes - Fun, if a little shallow. Basically a 2-D isometric Souls-like that's more forgiving than most games in the genre (you don't drop your experience when you die). Still pretty challenging most of the time with a nice sense of exploration and progression to the world and some good boss fights.

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition - Played through the original DMC5 when it came out in 2019 and liked it a lot then, and I still like it quite a lot now. Finished it on Devil Hunter mode yesterday and started into Son of Sparda mode. Still can't beat Urizen in the prologue, figure I might as well just finish Son of Sparda and one-shot him on Heaven or Hell mode. Adding the Vergil mode is a nice touch as well, probably will eventually play through that too. Some of the level design is weird and too padded, and the camera can have some issues (especially when you're playing as V), but it's a great game, overall, and one of the rare games that I'll play through again and again.

jro

Gonna take a lot
Foregone - basically takes Dead Cells' gameplay, dumbs it down some, and then turns it into a Souls-like instead of a Rogue-lite. Pretty fun, for the most part, but the stages tended to drag on too long and enemy variety was severely lacking. Several fantastic boss fights (that tended to be far harder than the rest of the game) made it worth a playthrough.

jro

Gonna take a lot
WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE! Bumpin' this like a mofo.

I just finished Scarlet Nexus. It had really enjoyable gameplay combined with really terrible level designs and a final boss that's, just, yeah. Anyway, same developer as Code Vein, and I'd guess it used the same engine, just tweaked. SN's combat is fast to the point of chaos much of the time, rather than Souls-like like CV. But it's fun, definitely fun, kept me playing for 20+ hours even with many of the levels making me grind my teeth.

Levels felt like an old-school RPG much of the time. Long, winding mazes where you have to find a key then backtrack to a door, find another key, or similar, punctuated by big rooms with fights.

Then the final boss... yeesh, for both good and bad. Took me over forty minutes, with one phase including a rotation of set pieces with one, in particular, that nearly broke the game right near the end (I wouldn't have been happy) where my character would only spin in place instead of move with the camera also locked on that point while I got pelted with projectiles, luckily rotating to the next gimmick fixed it. Fight felt properly grand in scope and finishing it was a little like beating a hard Souls boss, but I also almost broke the disc.

Dr Shroom

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Finished the Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster today.
I think its a good version, but a bit easier than the original one. Some jobs are still pretty much useless (Scholar, Bard comes to mind) and the last boss just spams the same group wide attack over and over. Music is nice and being to run and walk in diagonals is a nice QoL improvment. I prefer this over the 3D version.

Took me almost 13 hours to beat, so it's clearly one of the shorter FF games.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
Is the screen scrolling smooth when walk around? The Romancing Saga ports had this low FPS which made it annoying for me when played on a TV.

Pretty Amy

Host for Orochi
Is the screen scrolling smooth when walk around? The Romancing Saga ports had this low FPS which made it annoying for me when played on a TV.

I played 2/3 entirely on the Switch in handheld mode because of that.