Game not working on Neo Geo MVS

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
I have a MV1A board that is working perfectly fine with all my games except Metal Slug 3.
This same cartridge is working fine in another 2 MVS boards, so I guess the problem is not the cart itself.

The game boots fine, but when reaching the main title, it shows some graphic issues, and finally I get an error.

IMG_20211217_200628.jpg

IMG_20211217_200639.jpg

IMG_20211217_200800.jpg

My only guess is that the Metal Slug 3 is a very demanding cart, and the board can't handle it.
Does that make sense?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Nope, makes no sense, all Neo boards can handle all games. Sometimes higher meg carts seem to complain about dirty contacts more but that’s about it.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A serious contact cleaner like Deoxit D5 has fixed my fussy games in the past. Also, clean the board cart slot. Is the MV1A using the same power supply as the other two boards?

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
I will buy contac cleaner and use it on the board slot.
In the meantime, I have clean the cart, rubbing the pins with a rubber and then cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol. No result.

I use the same power supply (3A) for all my boards. But I also have an arcade PSU (with gives much more amperage, 10A), and still the same result.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
There are a lot of pins on a Neo cart. If some are randomly kinda dirty and they line up with randomly kinda dirty contacts on the main board you get situations where it seems like some carts don’t like certain boards.

Use DeoxIT. It cleans better than regular contact cleaner and is safer for the boards.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If your motherboard has a removable pin connector I would reseat it/clean it as well.