Game Gear ballers post here

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Anybody know where I can find replacement silicone conductive pads for Game Gear. I had a quick look online, but I was unsuccessful. Not even on Console5, at least not that I could see.

Handheld Legend now sell these. I bought a bunch, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Anyone buy one of those GG shells that HHL sell now? I wonder if the quality is better than the GB shells they used to sell.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Anyone buy one of those GG shells that HHL sell now? I wonder if the quality is better than the GB shells they used to sell.

I just got mine in yesterday! First impressions: WAY better than the GB prestige shells. They ditched the weird rubber coating, thank god. It feels legit. The print on them looks a little "china", but otherwise I am giving a solid "A" in appearance and feel. I'll test out the fit today and make sure all the buttons have room and don't stick or anything weird like that. But my gut says, these are good.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Did you guys see the new battery board coming out next year that will let you play and charge rechargable batteries at the same time? Sounds dope.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I have started to encounter a new issue with the last 2 game gear units that I’ve repaired. Board inspection and capacitor replacement are the best starting point, but as the other components in these consoles age, I am seeing more consoles that have a failing inductor on the power supply board (at D3, I believe) that seems to be causing some game gears to exhibit the infamous “1-second” shutdown issue (the issue occurs both with, and without the use of an ac adapter). Even after a recap, these consoles will require multiple power on attempts before they stay on for a full gaming session. Replacing this failing inductor has been a necessity on the last 2 units that I worked on.

View attachment 45120

After replacing the inductor on the isolated power supply board the unit operates fine:

View attachment 45121

I just wanted to help spread this information in case others encounter this particular issue in the future.

Edit:
Watch what happens when this tech replaces just the inductor on a unit that had no caps replaced and had no sound or picture:
(Fast Forward to the 4:45 time mark)
The site won’t let me edit my original post so I will add to it via reply. I never included the inductor details that I used as a replacement to revive the game gear units in my photos and repair the issue. The part I used was as follows:

2474R-23L, API DELEVAN, FIXED IND 68UH 1.56A 145 MOHM TH RoHS​

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The site won’t let me edit my original post so I will add to it via reply. I never included the inductor details that I used as a replacement to revive the game gear units in my photos and repair the issue. The part I used was as follows:

2474R-23L, API DELEVAN, FIXED IND 68UH 1.56A 145 MOHM TH RoHS​

Awesome, thanks for sharing that!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Can anyone help me with something stupid? So i have had this problem previously, with other older handhelds, so i know its not the system...
So newer headphones seem to have a longer 3.5 mm headphone jack or something. Of all the sets i have in the house, they range from completely not working with the gamegear at worst, to providing mono for most, to best case being one set that provides 75% sound in the left ear and 25% in the right.

What do i need to purchase to solve this? The headphone jack on the gamegear (its not the freshly recapped console, its the physical headphone jack) will literally spit a quarter of the headphone cable back out if you even look at it wrong while playing.

I suppose the question here may be, where do i buy old cheap headphones, or a cable that is as bare bones as they were sold with?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Question for anyone. I have another stupid issue. Anyone ever linked 2 game gears from different regions? Im having a terrible time getting reliable linking in most games, and in fact had bust a move working for a few rounds and then after exiting the game back to the everdrive screen, now no matter what i do they will not link again. I have no idea if this has to do with one system being US and one PAL.

HALP!!!

proommnets

n00b
Hi guys. I really need your advice. Do you think it is worth buying a used game gear? Maybe someone here is ready to sell. I am from Illinois, Get More Info. It would be really great to find someone in my area to save on the parcel. But it is a small thing, so it should be fine anyway. Can anybody give me an ideal what can such a thing cost? Thanks for your time and waiting for suggestions.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I saw someone selling a repair service on eBay for GG. Anybody here ever try something like that?

should be fine if they are a reputable seller. ask for before and after shots.