Game boy Ballers post here

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like it. If this an unmodified OG Gameboy, I have an original screen kicking around, if you want it. Really though, you should buy one of the new screen kits out there. I can personally recommend the OSD kit.

Everything you said - those old screens are finnicky at this point. Another recommendation for the OSD screen - game changer

Out of the 3 that I have, 1 unit is set for the FP IPS screen, 1 was going to be backlit with one color, and I have the first one I did with the yellow backlight.

I get that the newer kits are better - im not against them. I like the look of a backlit LCD a bit better, and installation is super-easy. I can use the screen half as a parts board

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
No worries on that front, I'm too old for the blurry screens in the original GB, otherwise I like the look, too.

If you need a replacement front half I've got extras.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I stopped collecting for GB but I still have this. One of my prized gaming pieces. The stand is rare than the kiosk unit, I've only seen one other person have one from an old forum post somewhere and in Nintendo kiosk catalogs.

gameboy kiosk 2.png

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
@filthyrear: tried to shoot you a PM with tracking number, but your PM box is full...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I stopped collecting for GB but I still have this. One of my prized gaming pieces. The stand is rare than the kiosk unit, I've only seen one other person have one from an old forum post somewhere and in Nintendo kiosk catalogs.

View attachment 58948

very cool! I remember playing Tetris on those and asking for a GB that xmas. I guess '89? Could be '90, but I feel like I got one the year they came out.

Update on those OSD IPS screens for GBC - they kick ass. Pixel mode looks great, plus you can tweak the color palette for orginal GB games - screen size is awesome. Anxious to see if the battery life can compete with my DMG. Either way, highly recommend.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Quick question for those with either the FP V3 or newer OSD screens for GB (DMG)...

Opera Snapshot_2021-01-26_165200_www.youtube.com.png

Do me a favor and load up Skate or Die Bad & Rad...try stage 4. Right after you get the pizza slice and the rolling pin thing starts chasing you from behind...can you steer left or right? I've noticed some weirdness with both these kits on that game with trying to steer left or right in the vertical stages. Works fine on my stock backlit system or on my GBC. I'm thinking it has to do with the PCB designs since they have the controller inputs on them. Just curious if anyone has noticed and/or has seen other talking about it and possibly figured out a fix?

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Ordered one of these:

Will report back as soon as I have it.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
1645158874641.jpeg

Installed an IPSv5 with new shell. Screen really is a huge upgrade. Have another color that I’ll probably do the same to. Just noticed they have IPS specific shells, so not as much cutting?

tbone3969!

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Can anyone share how to show the pictures right in the reply? Can't seem to attach a picture without having a URL. Thanks.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Ordered a couple custom shells last night. Planning on modding a couple DMG-01s with some old backlit screens and Pro Sound mods from Nonfinite Electronics I had lying around. Can't wait.

Mono-no-aware_front_901x901.jpg

productpage_901x901.png

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One of my friends finally made me jealous enough to finally order an IPS kit for the GBC. The shells made for these screens make this stupidly easy, the screen is amazing and it's the easiest GB mod I've ever done.

Attachments

• IMG_20220507_182158986.jpg
    IMG_20220507_182158986.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220507_182827672.jpg
    IMG_20220507_182827672.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
One of my friends finally made me jealous enough to finally order an IPS kit for the GBC. The shells made for these screens make this stupidly easy, the screen is amazing and it's the easiest GB mod I've ever done.
Damn that is nice my man.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Very nice.

Which kit is this?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Very nice.

Which kit is this?
You wanna look for IPS laminate version. And definitely get a pre trimmed shell. I've done a handful of these and they're super easy and look insanely good.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's the Funnyplaying Retro Pixel 2.0 laminated kit, with their shell, buttons, and speaker. It's a great kit. The shell feels surprisingly great too, not like the flimsy aftermarket SP shells I've used before. The only slight issue is you have to press the start and select pretty hard to register, you really need to file the openings just a bit but I didn't have a file small enough on hand.

I do wish the shells had some of the original GBC colors. I would have bought it teal shell.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Once I start I can't stop. Shitty pic, awesome Gameboy Pocket. I don't remember who gave it to me, but this was made with a little silver Pocket someone gave me from here several years back that worked but was kinda beat up. Thank you whoever that was! Recapped, new voltage regulator added, Funnyplaying backlight kit, and shitty R6 shell. If someone wants to make something similar I'd recommend ordering the Funny playing shells and there is a 3d printed bracket that centers the screen that I didn't know about at the time. I'll be redoing the shell in the future, but the screen itself is great.

GB1.jpg

GB2.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Once I start I can't stop. Shitty pic, awesome Gameboy Pocket. I don't remember who gave it to me, but this was made with a little silver Pocket someone gave me from here several years back that worked but was kinda beat up. Thank you whoever that was! Recapped, new voltage regulator added, Funnyplaying backlight kit, and shitty R6 shell. If someone wants to make something similar I'd recommend ordering the Funny playing shells and there is a 3d printed bracket that centers the screen that I didn't know about at the time. I'll be redoing the shell in the future, but the screen itself is great.

View attachment 57527

View attachment 57528
I love the form factor of the pocket, but the battery life suuuuucks. So I stick with the DMG
Anybody put together one of those new HDMI GBC kits? Looks pretty sweet.
I was heavily tempted to order one of those yesterday

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the battery life of the Pocket does suck, especially with the IPS and an Everdrive. It's not too shabby on regular carts, probably about 3 or 4 hours of play. I had to install one of Helder's voltage regulators to get it to be able to use the screen and the Everdrive at the same time but it works well. For a couple of hours. I mostly play on the couch so it's fine and I can always swap the cart to a different Gameboy if needed.

Got two more kits in yesterday.

GBSP.jpg

This was built with one of the junk SP PCBs I dug out of the trash and offered Neomoe early in the thread. Glad I kept it! I'm not crazy about how these translucent shells look but the plastic quality and feel is a clear step above SP shells I've used in the past. Feels really solid but not quite OEM. Screen is a Funnyplaying IPS, I have mixed feelings on it. It's a very high quality screen and a clear upgrade from a frontlit SP, but I don't know that it's necessarily better than a backlit SP. It's bright (blindingly so if you turn it all the way up,) the colors are fantastic, and there's little to no ghosting, but without the screen door effect that some of the other IPS panels have it doesn't quite look right to me. It also has the Makho battery in it, which is a little adapter PCB with a lipo battery stuck in the normal battery compartment, made due to the lack of good SP batteries. I haven't played the SP enough to really test it, but it should last a little longer than the generics on the market now.

DMG.jpg

This one is special. It's my original Gameboy I posted early in the thread from my childhood. It did have the old V3 LED backlight kit in it, the IPS is so much better. It's supposed to have the same screen as the Pocket I did, but it looks better on a DMG, I guess because it has more power? I dunno. This one had an optional bracket you could use to center the screen and it made install easy, perfect, and not permanent since no adhesive was used. The Funnyplaying shell is pretty solid, you won't mistake it for an original but it's still nice. Overall the GB is a bit lighter than it was before since the front PCB is replaced with something much simpler. The Funnyplaying dpad and buttons are decent enough but don't feel as nice as the originals so I'll probably swap in my original pad, buttons and membranes.

I now have one of each model Gameboy modded, aside from the Light. It was really fun making these, and almost too easy compared to the shitty mods of yesteryear. I might try some of the regular GBA kits for fun. I don't really like playing on that one but I have several GBAs in my parts drawer in various states of repair.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah, the battery life of the Pocket does suck, especially with the IPS and an Everdrive. It's not too shabby on regular carts, probably about 3 or 4 hours of play. I had to install one of Helder's voltage regulators to get it to be able to use the screen and the Everdrive at the same time but it works well. For a couple of hours. I mostly play on the couch so it's fine and I can always swap the cart to a different Gameboy if needed.

Got two more kits in yesterday.

View attachment 57540

This was built with one of the junk SP PCBs I dug out of the trash and offered Neomoe early in the thread. Glad I kept it! I'm not crazy about how these translucent shells look but the plastic quality and feel is a clear step above SP shells I've used in the past. Feels really solid but not quite OEM. Screen is a Funnyplaying IPS, I have mixed feelings on it. It's a very high quality screen and a clear upgrade from a frontlit SP, but I don't know that it's necessarily better than a backlit SP. It's bright (blindingly so if you turn it all the way up,) the colors are fantastic, and there's little to no ghosting, but without the screen door effect that some of the other IPS panels have it doesn't quite look right to me. It also has the Makho battery in it, which is a little adapter PCB with a lipo battery stuck in the normal battery compartment, made due to the lack of good SP batteries. I haven't played the SP enough to really test it, but it should last a little longer than the generics on the market now.

View attachment 57541

This one is special. It's my original Gameboy I posted early in the thread from my childhood. It did have the old V3 LED backlight kit in it, the IPS is so much better. It's supposed to have the same screen as the Pocket I did, but it looks better on a DMG, I guess because it has more power? I dunno. This one had an optional bracket you could use to center the screen and it made install easy, perfect, and not permanent since no adhesive was used. The Funnyplaying shell is pretty solid, you won't mistake it for an original but it's still nice. Overall the GB is a bit lighter than it was before since the front PCB is replaced with something much simpler. The Funnyplaying dpad and buttons are decent enough but don't feel as nice as the originals so I'll probably swap in my original pad, buttons and membranes.

I now have one of each model Gameboy modded, aside from the Light. It was really fun making these, and almost too easy compared to the shitty mods of yesteryear. I might try some of the regular GBA kits for fun. I don't really like playing on that one but I have several GBAs in my parts drawer in various states of repair.

Awesome! Yeah, it's kind of addictive resurrecting old or broken systems into these versions. I think I have 5 or 6 DMGs and I want to make another with that pop-tart shell

1652799115900.png

What I need to do is recap the sound on all of them as that is the only thing I see starting to go south on these old-ass DMGs. Speaking of battery, you can get 14+ hrs outta' the DMG which is nuts considering these screens.

I've thought about putting together an SP, but I have an AGS-101 I bought when they came out and it's still perfect to me. I see no reason to change it. And the older front-lit SPs are too expensive with all the popularity of these kits.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah I wouldn't bother buying a SP and lighting it if you already have a 101 unless the ghosting really bothers you (I never even noticed it until someone pointed it out.) I just have parts systems out the wazoo. Out of all the Gameboys the SP is the one that needs modding the least.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah I wouldn't bother buying a SP and lighting it if you already have a 101 unless the ghosting really bothers you (I never even noticed it until someone pointed it out.) I just have parts systems out the wazoo. Out of all the Gameboys the SP is the one that needs modding the least.

Ghosting never bothered me, same boat as you - I never noticed. I've had it since release, never an issue. I had to replace a cap on it though for power after it failed on me, but other than that it's perfect.