Game boy Ballers post here

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
My favorite will always be the Pocket, even with the crummy battery life. Small size, relatively big screen compared to the DMG and Color, great buttons and B&W games are fine for me, I never needed color or GBC exclusives.

Yeah, the form factor and screen size on the pocket are really hard to beat. It's not until years later when I try to revisit or explore further the GBC library that I realize that GBC kinda' sucked.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, the form factor and screen size on the pocket are really hard to beat. It's not until years later when I try to revisit or explore further the GBC library that I realize that GBC kinda' sucked.

The GBC is shockingly underwhelming. We all tend to fondly remember just the big releases like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Kirby Tilt n Tumble, Donkey Kong Country and Pokemon GSC, but beyond that the library is really, really thin. It seriously reminds me of the WonderSwan B&W and Color libraries. There's a handful of classics, some obscure greats and then a mountain of licensed shovelware. On the GBC it's movie/TV/comics/etc licenses, on the WonderSwan, it's Anime/Manga licenses.

That the GBC screen is disappointing as well. The sharpness is great, but it's small, really small.

I do also like the DMG a lot, but it's a bit too big for keeping in your pocket or other cases of portability.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

between those 2 choices? The FP by far. 11% larger screen than original and a very cool pixel overlay effect.

That said, I recently ordered a RIPS v4, but the screen that came didn't work and they are sending me a replacement. But the v4 looks to possibly be the best, so you might wait a bit. But if you want it now, the FP is badass and my go-to gameboy at the moment.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
between those 2 choices? The FP by far. 11% larger screen than original and a very cool pixel overlay effect.

That said, I recently ordered a RIPS v4, but the screen that came didn't work and they are sending me a replacement. But the v4 looks to possibly be the best, so you might wait a bit. But if you want it now, the FP is badass and my go-to gameboy at the moment.

There’s already a v4 out? I’m pretty happy with my v3 RIPS kit but the extras on the Funnyplaying look pretty sweet. It’s almost like you need to wait a year after these upgrades hit the market to get the best one possible. :)

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
There’s already a v4 out? I’m pretty happy with my v3 RIPS kit but the extras on the Funnyplaying look pretty sweet. It’s almost like you need to wait a year after these upgrades hit the market to get the best one possible. :)

Right?! I like the v3, but def prefer the FP until I get that damn v4. The pixel overlay on the v4 looks �� they're all great though.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
personally i am a fan of the gameboy light. i remember importing mine from japan when i was 11 or 12 years old and i played the shit out of it. nobody else had one.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Right?! I like the v3, but def prefer the FP until I get that damn v4. The pixel overlay on the v4 looks �� they're all great though.

Thanks for the insight on FP vs RIPS v3. Where did you order the v4 from? I see some on eBay but that's about it. The OSD feature on v4 looks awesome, especially with the battery indicator.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Awesome, cheers. Let us know how it goes with the replacement!

Finally got my replacement and all works as it should. I will say, first impressions: this is the best screen you can buy. The FP is great, but this one. You can adjust H and V in case it's not perfectly center - the pixel mode looks better. No interference on screen like the FP one...yeah, get this one.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
personally i am a fan of the gameboy light. i remember importing mine from japan when i was 11 or 12 years old and i played the shit out of it. nobody else had one.

It’s “neat” but the ghosting and blurring makes it nearly unplayable. I’d take a pocket any day over the light.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Finally got my replacement and all works as it should. I will say, first impressions: this is the best screen you can buy. The FP is great, but this one. You can adjust H and V in case it's not perfectly center - the pixel mode looks better. No interference on screen like the FP one...yeah, get this one.

Badass. I just got one in the other day but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Will give it a go this week though

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Badass. I just got one in the other day but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Will give it a go this week though

I've been playing around with the INFINITE color adjustment options to make something very true to original in palette and am really REALLY loving this screen. Anxious to hear your thoughts

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I've been playing around with the INFINITE color adjustment options to make something very true to original in palette and am really REALLY loving this screen. Anxious to hear your thoughts

No luck with mine, just had to reach out to Retro Game Repair Shop to see about a replacement. :(

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
No luck with mine, just had to reach out to Retro Game Repair Shop to see about a replacement. :(

ugh. what's it doing? Mine would turn on, power light, sound, but black screen. Quality control in china is the best.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
ugh. what's it doing? Mine would turn on, power light, sound, but black screen. Quality control in china is the best.

Same thing, everything works except I get a black screen. Buttons, power light, sound, all work fine but the game plays blind. If I plug in my original DMG screen instead it works. Tried reseating all of the cables multiple times, but no dice.

I just hope RGRS doesn't give me too much grief on getting a replacement. We'll see!

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Same thing, everything works except I get a black screen. Buttons, power light, sound, all work fine but the game plays blind. If I plug in my original DMG screen instead it works. Tried reseating all of the cables multiple times, but no dice.

I just hope RGRS doesn't give me too much grief on getting a replacement. We'll see!

Fuck. Yeah same thing I had happen. New screen and lcd (small pcb) fixed it. Hopefully it works out. I'm hoping this thing lasts too. Lol china. I did have some odd shorting after I installed but I took apart and put back together and all good.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ordered one of those v4 screens from the link you posted. Can't wait to try it out! Love the form factor of the OG GB.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Damn, that looks good. So good, in fact, I just now ordered a second kit. Very easy install, the trimming of the LCD window was the only really tedious part.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
for those with the DMG OSD screen:

The perfect GB color palette
Color 0: 19, 43, 5
Color 1: 15, 38, 7
Color 2: 10, 32, 10
Color 3: 6, 25, 10

tempted to upgrade my GBC to one of these as well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001739431194.html?ug_edm_item_id=1005001739431194&edm_click_module=item_detail&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=user_browse_remind_1_1_en_US_2020-12-18&rowan_msg_id=2633biz_search_product:3001:14a91f2b3ff64e09bb4a374a5531dc7f_798648$3e5a481d8ee343c180f23b83ac8031be&ck=in_edm_other

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
New IPS OSD screens for GBC, 11% larger than original screen with all the badassedness of the OSD screens - brightness control and pixel grid.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001739431194.html

I ordered one the other day, very anxious to play around with this one.

just saw that - cant wait to see how it works out.

Has anyone run into this problem on DMG units??

I have 2 solid vertical bars on my screen. Tried for over an hour with a soldering iron to try to get them out but no luck. I noticed that on the underside of the ribbon cable there were 2 dark spots about the size of the bars on the screen. Peeking on the underside of that ribbon cable, it seems to me that there was a small leak of the liquid in the display.

I scraped a bit off and noticed that it was the same color blue as the display.

Is it safe to say this screen is toast?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
just saw that - cant wait to see how it works out.

Has anyone run into this problem on DMG units??

I have 2 solid vertical bars on my screen. Tried for over an hour with a soldering iron to try to get them out but no luck. I noticed that on the underside of the ribbon cable there were 2 dark spots about the size of the bars on the screen. Peeking on the underside of that ribbon cable, it seems to me that there was a small leak of the liquid in the display.

I scraped a bit off and noticed that it was the same color blue as the display.

Is it safe to say this screen is toast?

Sounds like it. If this an unmodified OG Gameboy, I have an original screen kicking around, if you want it. Really though, you should buy one of the new screen kits out there. I can personally recommend the OSD kit.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Sounds like it. If this an unmodified OG Gameboy, I have an original screen kicking around, if you want it. Really though, you should buy one of the new screen kits out there. I can personally recommend the OSD kit.

Everything you said - those old screens are finnicky at this point. Another recommendation for the OSD screen - game changer