Game boy Ballers post here

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I also picked up a IPS screen for the Pocket as well and got around to installing it tonight. I was apprehensive since you need to solder the tiny ass wires for power and touch control. But somehow I managed to get through it without killing my Gameboy. Go me.

19f9f0f1016638b7792a656fd856fac9.jpg

Hey, do you happen to have an Everdrive that you could try with it? My backlit pocket would have issues sometimes if the batteries weren't at near maximum capacity sometimes. Usually it would play the games, but it couldn't flash a new game without resetting.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve been using an Everdrive with mine without issue so far. I’ll see what happens once the batteries start to die. I’ve heard it can also make the screen dim but I haven’t had that happen yet either.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
It’s pretty sweet. It has a ton of built in palettes and display options. I think you’ll dig it.

Anything you don't like about it? Seems like all of the past solutions have had problems, but this one looks pretty sweet!

ChopstickSamurai

Anything you don't like about it? Seems like all of the past solutions have had problems, but this one looks pretty sweet!

I’ve been pretty busy with work this week so I haven’t had much time to play with it. I didn’t like the fact I didn’t get a 3D printed screen bracket for this one. It made the install a bit more challenging but not as easy as it is with a bracket.

Also the “pixel perfect” mode doesn’t look great on all games. But I like the regular IPS look so I haven’t used it much. The color palettes are a lot less garish then they are on the RIPS screen I got for my DMG.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Right on, I've been tempted on some of these solutions but there always seems to be some issue that keeps me on the fence.

Ultimately the quality of this screen looks very nice so I might have to finally bite on one.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Got another Gameboy Pocket back-lit recently. Blue boy! This is the old backlight solution, not the IPS screens that are out now. I've had this kit sitting around for a while and didn't get around to installing it till recently.

Blue shell w/ blue buttons, and even a blue LED.

Goes well with my all black GBP:
gU5EzUFl.jpg

ARak0PWl.jpg

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Got another Gameboy Pocket back-lit recently. Blue boy! This is the old backlight solution, not the IPS screens that are out now. I've had this kit sitting around for a while and didn't get around to installing it till recently.

Blue shell w/ blue buttons, and even a blue LED.

Goes well with my all black GBP:
gU5EzUFl.jpg

ARak0PWl.jpg

looks dope! I used to do these mods on GBP's and quit - they're soooo easy to break. Good job man! Are they biverted (they look like they are)?

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
looks dope! I used to do these mods on GBP's and quit - they're soooo easy to break. Good job man! Are they biverted (they look like they are)?

yeah, they're bi. :D

I've got a third one that has been backlit as well, but the screen is starting to show that fractaling problem with LCD causing the pixels to not activate in a small area. I think the LCD is going bad. That gameboy pocket is probably going to get an IPS since I'd have to replace the entire LCD anyway.

The reason why I have 3 is because I have 2 kids, who are still a bit young though, but eventually I'd like to introduce them to the original pokemon games first before they get into the later ones.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
can anyone explain what biverting a gameboy screen really does?

besides googling it? I'll save you the time, essentially someone discovered if you flip the polarization film on a GB it sharpens the picture, only problem is the "colors" are reversed. So, using a bivert chip you can flip the colors back to normal on the hardware and keep the increased sharpness of the picture. Keeping the polarization film in the reversed state.

It noticeably improves the image, making it way sharper with better contrast.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
besides googling it? I'll save you the time, essentially someone discovered if you flip the polarization film on a GB it sharpens the picture, only problem is the "colors" are reversed. So, using a bivert chip you can flip the colors back to normal on the hardware and keep the increased sharpness of the picture. Keeping the polarization film in the reversed state.

It noticeably improves the image, making it way sharper with better contrast.

i wonder if it is possible to bivert a gameboy light...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I also picked up a IPS screen for the Pocket as well and got around to installing it tonight. I was apprehensive since you need to solder the tiny ass wires for power and touch control. But somehow I managed to get through it without killing my Gameboy. Go me.

19f9f0f1016638b7792a656fd856fac9.jpg

Those IPS screens look amazing.

Piggy-backing off of Filthy’s question - how is the battery life affected? Really interested in getting this for the original Gameboy.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
i wonder if it is possible to bivert a gameboy light...

I think you can?

Those IPS screens look amazing.

Piggy-backing off of Filthy’s question - how is the battery life affected? Really interested in getting this for the original Gameboy.

Not super, I've read about 2-3hrs on a standard set of batteries. I bought some 1100 mAh batteries, so we'll see what I get. If you are looking to do the same for a DMG, the battery life is WAY better

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
thanks pixeljunkie, good to know!

Have you seen that usb c battery mod?

A dmg with these screens and a chargeable battery could be awesome!

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

If you are looking to do the same for a DMG, the battery life is WAY better

I’m shocked how long the DMG batteries last with the IPS screen. I recently got one of those Hand Held Legend GBA batteries and it’s great. The GBA really chews through the batteries too after the IPS mod.

You should check out Macho Nacho on YouTube. He’s done battery tests for all these mods.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I’m shocked how long the DMG batteries last with the IPS screen. I recently got one of those Hand Held Legend GBA batteries and it’s great. The GBA really chews through the batteries too after the IPS mod.

You should check out Macho Nacho on YouTube. He’s done battery tests for all these mods.

Given batteries last pretty good with the dmg-01 do you think battery mods are unnecessary? Apparently there is one called cleanjuice that lets it uses a usb c charger?

ChopstickSamurai

My Life In Gaming recently posted a video that gives a good overview of the various Gameboy screen mods on the market:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
To anyone who has the GBC IPS screen...talk to me about battery life. I have a freckleshack and the battery lasts forever and a day. But I really want a full sized option.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

To anyone who has the GBC IPS screen...talk to me about battery life. I have a freckleshack and the battery lasts forever and a day. But I really want a full sized option.

I haven’t timed it, but it lasts a decent while. Not as good as the DMG IPS mod, but much better than the Pocket or GBA one. I recently got a Cleanjuice rechargeable battery for the GBA and that fixed that issue.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I haven’t timed it, but it lasts a decent while. Not as good as the DMG IPS mod, but much better than the Pocket or GBA one. I recently got a Cleanjuice rechargeable battery for the GBA and that fixed that issue.

Cool, yeah the pocket is retarded. Was so disappointed by the battery life. cool, I might have to upgrade my GBC then.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Ordered a RIPS V4 screen for another DMG install...gonna test it up against the Funnyplaying, which is just awesome. l've been drinking and buying waaaay too much gameboyy shit lately. Also bought a USB cable for the pocket, which is awesome (just hook it to a USB battery and it's good to go for a bajillion hours) - although the rechargeable AAA batteries have actually been fine. It's just when you contrast the 4+ of the pocket to the 14 of the DMG its hard to go back. But i definitely prefer the size of the pocket.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
My favorite will always be the Pocket, even with the crummy battery life. Small size, relatively big screen compared to the DMG and Color, great buttons and B&W games are fine for me, I never needed color or GBC exclusives.