Fuck cancer

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
No, really, it can go fuck itself.

Lost my nephew to leukemia yesterday morning. It's been a tough 24 hours. I will say he went incredibly peacefully. He was 13 years old.

Huge shoutout to the Make-a-Wish foundation for getting him a viewing of the new Sonic movie just before he died, and the movie theater that sent over a poster and snacks for him, and Casey's (an Iowa chain of convenience stores) for providing pizza. I'll have to get the name of the theater at some point because they, very generously, brought stuff two days in a row.

Feel free, in this thread, to tell cancer all the ways it can Fuck. Right. Off.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
So sorry to hear this. Fuck anyone dying at 13 for any reason.

Reading about developments in cancer treatment is just about the last news reports I enjoy.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Really sorry to hear this, brave kid no doubt to endure that sentence. My brother's wife has a nephew near his age that was just cleared of it and the toll it took on him and his family was huge - but you wouldn't know it with this guy, he's a man in my eyes even at age 15.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm so sorry.

I lost my five year old cousin when I was 16 or 17.

Worst thing I could possibly imagine and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
He kept fighting until the very end. He never gave in. Ever. He was stronger than I'll ever be.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm very sorry that your nephew had to die like that as such a young age, but, it's awesome that the Make-A-Wish Foundation stepped up to try to make his final days a blast. Cancer sucks and leaves almost no one untouched, either directly or indirectly, throughout life. I went through melanoma last year, but, came out all right, other than a big Frankenstein scar on my right thigh as a souvenir.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Sorry on your loss, 13 is too too young. RIP.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bummer. Lost my Father 2 years ago. I can only imagine at that young age.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That's terrible, I remember you mentioned he had leukemia a few months back. Sorry to see he didn't make it. Take care of yourself and especially his parents during this time.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your nephew. As many know here, I lost my brother to it last April. My deepest condolences to you, his family and everyone who knew and loved him.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Just lost my aunt 2 weeks ago to cancer.
So fuck cancer and my prayers for you and your family and that is amazing that the make a wish foundation made his final days amazing.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Thanks guys. To all of you that have lost loved ones to cancer, I'm sorry. Shit is horrible.

Just want to make clear that you can tell cancer in this thread what you *really* think about it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Leukemia took one of my stepmothers life too soon.

13...I feel for your family and hope all of you find the support to try to deal with the loss.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Very tragic, my deepest condolences fenikso. 13 years... if there's something that goes beyond any explanation, it's dying at such a young age from fucking cancer.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Awful news. A horrible disease that we need to eradicate. No one should suffer from it and especially not kids.

I still wear a small vial filled with my best friend's ashes around my neck. Cancer got him, too.

You have my condolences and sympathies. Fuck cancer for taking anyone from this world.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
spent this last week at a cancer conference. some of the current treatments are beyond science fiction, but there are just so many types of cancers. 1000's and 1000's.
I'm very hopeful for the future, but I've lost my brother and father to cancer. Stay strong everyone.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through. My father died from multiple myeloma back in 2008. My girlfriend died from colorectal cancer on her 40th birthday this past September 13th.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Fuck man... Very sorry to hear this. That's way too young. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Lost my father and father in law to cancer. So sorry to hear about your nephew, I can’t imagine your pain and I’m sorry for your loss. Fuck Cancer!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
My long time neighbor just went to hospice last night. Lung Cancer for a very fit 45 yr old. He's been fighting it as well as possible, but it spread all over. This guy was fit and never smoked. Lung cancer is so poorly represented because of the association with smoking. He never smoked in his life.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
My long time neighbor just went to hospice last night. Lung Cancer for a very fit 45 yr old. He's been fighting it as well as possible, but it spread all over. This guy was fit and never smoked. Lung cancer is so poorly represented because of the association with smoking. He never smoked in his life.

Is cancer on the rise? Or has it always been this bad and I was blissfully ignorant?

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
My nephew about that age, I can't imagine the pain and anger you are feeling over this.

My condolences on your loss.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Is cancer on the rise? Or has it always been this bad and I was blissfully ignorant?

A bit of both. there's a good book that highlights cancer in history. It goes back to egyptian empire.
The Emperor of All Maladies

at the same time, we are (un)knowingly exposing ourselves to more carcinogens than ever.

Children's cancer is an outlier and rather difficult to treat. Their whole bodies are growing, so it's a different beast in many cases.

There's a decent intro to cancer series if you have some basic biology background. high level, but applicable to most cancers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjfYQMW_nek