Found a candy cab at a local arcade..

SSS

neo retired
Not sure, but the control panel shape and coin mech location is very similar to a Korean knock off brand I once owned.

SSS

neo retired
I had a CWC 203. I gutted the cabinet, put in a WG trisync I picked up from an op. I disposed of the korean PSU. Was the biggest damn power supply I'd ever seen, didn't want to chance plugging it in.

I think I actually removed the innards from a MAS supernova and used that for the cabinet wiring, including the switching power supply. The plastic control panel that came with the cabinet was weird. I think it would only accept samducksa buttons and sticks, which were crap.

I wound up cutting a new CP insert piece out of MDF. With a Last Blade 2 large marquee cut as a cheap overlay. :lolz:

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I had a CWC 203. I gutted the cabinet, put in a WG trisync I picked up from an op. I disposed of the korean PSU. Was the biggest damn power supply I'd ever seen, didn't want to chance plugging it in.

I think I actually removed the innards from a MAS supernova and used that for the cabinet wiring, including the switching power supply. The plastic control panel that came with the cabinet was weird. I think it would only accept samducksa buttons and sticks, which were crap.

I wound up cutting a new CP insert piece out of MDF. With a Last Blade 2 large marquee cut as a cheap overlay. :lolz:

I love this story. I've not seen many candies in NA, so the sightings and stories are exciting. Lol @ DPRK power supply.

SSS

neo retired
I love this story. I've not seen many candies in NA, so the sightings and stories are exciting. Lol @ DPRK power supply.

Dude, I swear the thing was about a foot long and had a gigantic transformer of some sort on one end. Whole thing probably weighed 10 lbs or more.

I found the cab in the back of an arcade warehouse in baltimore covered in cobwebs.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Looks like they were already liquidating the cabs when you took that photo. XD

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
There are a bunch of knockoff cabs making it over.

Xiongba's are the most common I've seen. They're ripoffs of the sega cabs.

Rock Cabinets were in for a while, they're out of china. Coinop was pushing these cheap for a bunch of years.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
There are a bunch of knockoff cabs making it over.

Xiongba's are the most common I've seen. They're ripoffs of the sega cabs.

Rock Cabinets were in for a while, they're out of china. Coinop was pushing these cheap for a bunch of years.

Were you seeing these @ auction, on location, or both? I would geek the hell out to find one of these in my travels...

Tacitus

Staff member
Were you seeing these @ auction, on location, or both? I would geek the hell out to find one of these in my travels...

They're relatively rare at auction around here, mostly because arcade ops are dying out and just unloading old cabs. You'd more likely see a blast with a fishing kit installed.

I've seen them on location and at the bigger arcades. (NYC/PHL)

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
A few weeks ago, someone posted a Die Hard arcade on CL about 2 hrs away from me for $150, thought I'd go check it out, when I got there it was this huge junk warehouse, told em I came to see the die hard, they said "We got more, you should take em all" I went and looked at what else they had, I got excited going around a corner to see a huge Brave Firefighters stand up, when I looked head on, the thing looked like it was in a real fire. then I see some cabs, that were almost the shape of astros, got really excited, looked up close, they were called Power King, completely plastic, no metal, no fiberglass. There were about 4 of those Power Kings, 2 had 29' monitors and 2 of them had these huge friggin 39' monitors in them, they were shaped like astro city, but wider by about 1 1/2 times, like fat astros. The machines were totally gutted, I can change a cp, but there's no way I could've fixed these things. I found some Korean writing around the psu, tried to plug one in, couldn't even find an on/off switch, they were kind of neat to see, but I only went to scout that day, I don't own a truck, so would've had to rent one to drive back there, probably could've bought those things for $10 each though, they were desperate to get rid of em. The Die hard also turned out to be a no buy, there were 2 keys in the coinbox, neither worked for any lock on the cab, and no power cord either, so no way to test. I was really hoping to find a a spare stv board in there, and I'm sure I could've talked him down from $150, but decided I'd better save my money and the finite amount of space in my small house for cabs I actually like. Still kicking myself for not taking pics of the power kings.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
They're relatively rare at auction around here, mostly because arcade ops are dying out and just unloading old cabs. You'd more likely see a blast with a fishing kit installed.

I've seen them on location and at the bigger arcades. (NYC/PHL)

Quick question(s): you ever convert a Blast Fishing? Is it just a matter of just slapping on a new, populated CP?

Seems like it could be an inexpensive way to a Blast City.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Quick question(s): you ever convert a Blast Fishing? Is it just a matter of just slapping on a new, populated CP?

Pretty sure Panda picked one up not too long ago, don't think it broke the bank at all.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
a6890c5b-afed-2142.jpg

Yea got this for 200, going to keep it a bass fishing for my brother, but yea. You need to get a new wiring harness and new CP and you're good to go :D I actually like te bass fishing too lol

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
a6890c5b-afed-2142.jpg

Yea got this for 200, going to keep it a bass fishing for my brother, but yea. You need to get a new wiring harness and new CP and you're good to go :D I actually like te bass fishing too lol

loved that game on DC

Tacitus

Staff member

Nope, I was going to buy one af ew times and switch them out, but the prices skyrocketed at auction for some reason. Still cheaper than shipping, but they were beat to shit.

All kinds of strange shit shows up at Jamie's auctions, most of it has been through the ringer a few times.

The fishing cabs usually have that shim/lifter on the bottom to make the candy a strandup cab. Pretty ugly.

If you see a candy at all these days, it's almost ALWAYS a fishing cab and ALWAYS with that shim.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
That shim is only 4 bolts and bam it's back to a candy, that's what I did and we like using a stool with the fishing more, feels like you're on a boat :D

Tacitus

Staff member
That shim is only 4 bolts and bam it's back to a candy, that's what I did and we like using a stool with the fishing more, feels like you're on a boat :D

Haaaaaaaa....

FLTCHRR

NEST Puppet
Don't worry Mugicha, I've got you covered. I stumbled upon these beauties/monstrosities in 2010 just outside Chicago.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg