Former Argonaut Staffer Is Reviving The Legendary Neo Geo Title Windjammers On 3DS

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Yeah no this looks terrible. Dump this and go back to the drawing board.

p3lagic

n00b
3ds does not seems like the platform for this. I played this a lot growing up and it's the most fun played against someone. the 3ds does not encourage this

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Thoughts?

images

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
damn, this looks rough. It's slow and the futuristic part of Windjammers is gone...

Elder

NEST Puppet
This is just sad. Not sure why he's bothering with this. It's too damn slow, looks generic as hell, and frankly looks boring.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
3DS? and worse yet it's not 2D. What a sad excuse for something new.

incrediblehark

New Challenger
The original was so much fun, but this looks sad. sprite based would be much better. the fan made game definitely looks interesting.

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
I just got into Windjammers and this "reboot" is so slow and choppy. Thanks for the head up on the fan made one, I'm going to have to check that out

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Wow, my old Pong/Windjammers game I made a while ago is faster and plays better than that.

In case you want to try it (Ignore security warnings, it's virus free, just made in a really old and not-signed engine):

http://www.svcgames.com/dirtybitx/DirtyBitX-Extended.zip

Player 1:
----------
Up - W
Down - S
Left - A
Right - D
Strong shot/Accept/Add power when in "Power struggle" - F
Special shot (Full overdrive bar) - G

Player 2:
----------
Up - Up arrow
Down - Down arrow
Left - Left arrow
Right - Right arrow
Strong shot/Accept/Add power when in "Power struggle" - Right Shift
Special shot (Full overdrive bar) - Right Crtl

- Use strong shot when the ball is near. The more precise the more you fill the "overdrive bar".

- You can't press the Shot button constantly, so be precise. (some characters have faster cooldown than others)

- If the ball hit in the center the ball will go straight. The more on the edge, the more inclination..

- Special "Overdrive" shot can be stopped by the rival. If that happens a "power struggle" bar will appear and both will have to press their "shot" button repeatedly.

- The AI sucks and yes, SFA3 music/fx everywhere :P

Last edited:

Shanadria

New Challenger
I really love Windjammers but, come one, thats horrible, disgusting...Even for a 3DS game, it looks terrible!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
That game looks like a sorry excuse for a windjammers. If they're going to do it, do it right. Port the real game, and add online.

Random Meeting Room, 11:34am

"Hey, Windjammers sure was fun. Remember how neo-metal everyone looked?"
"Yeah...oh shit...now stay with me...but what if we took the fast, fun game-play of Windjammers...but made it look like shit shovelware?!"
"...okay."

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Why can we never have nice things? This and the seemingly false SS7 rumor.... :hammer:

Well, we do have nice things. "Windjammers" on the Neo, for example.

I know Steam has made selling repackaged nostalgia viable, but "remake that doesn't look or play as well as the original" is so lazy.

Assuming one were to tweak/rebalance Windjammers, what needs fixing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk