(Fixed.) KV25XBR, RGB, Audio, etc.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I might have messed up on the RGB. I'll check again later. Sync ought to be right though.
later edit: It's fine, see below v v v v v

Last edited:
My bad, I was completely misreading your pinout. I definitely numbered mine wrong though, yours goes straight up the row vs. back and forth like normal floppy.

Just wanted to say thanks again! I got my adapter made today and everything is working great except one channel of the audio. I need to go back and look if it was just my soldering job (probably), but it seems to be working well enough for now. Btw, I was wondering how the compatibility would be since I hadn't seen much online about it, but every RGB system I've tried has worked flawlessly:

- NESRGB (csync)
- SNES (csync)
- PS 1 & 2 (sync on luma)
- Genesis (csync)
- PC Engine Duo (composite video sync)
- GroovyMAME (using a simple circuit to combine Horizontal and Vertical VGA sync into csync)

p6UUwab.jpg

Last edited:

faroffmods

n00b
Hey guys, nice to see this topic active again. I recently asked DanAdamKOF about some info on this as well. DanAdamKOF, thanks for taking the time to post a proper pinout. I have someone helping to make a cable. I have checked many other threads and there are others that mention the need for adding resistors, diodes and even a LM1881 Sync Stripper. Just wanted to know if any of this was actually necessary? Any overly bright pictures or to dim? Any washout?

Thanks so much for the info!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You won't need any of that. No sync stripper needed for this monitor. No need for resistors unless you're building a system cable from scratch or interfacing JAMMA boards (JAMMA level RGB will still work when put straight through but it will look washed out). And you shouldn't need diodes for any RGB stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a bunch of consoles with cables from retro_console_accessories (see my post above) and everything looks flawless. No need for sync stripper or any extra parts as DanAdamKOF said, just get the RGBS in and it'll do the rest :)

RSS

n00b
KV-XBR RGB

I tried a bunch of consoles with cables from retro_console_accessories (see my post above) and everything looks flawless. No need for sync stripper or any extra parts as DanAdamKOF said, just get the RGBS in and it'll do the rest :)

Hi,
I'm using KV-25XBR for gaming also.Does it make a real difference in the picture quality using RGB? I'm not smart enough to make one of these custom cables on my own and would love to have one. I'd pay for one.

Hi,
I'm using KV-25XBR for gaming also.Does it make a real difference in the picture quality using RGB? I'm not smart enough to make one of these custom cables on my own and would love to have one. I'd pay for one.

Yes, it makes a pretty big difference. This image of a 20" Sony PVM should give you a good idea of the artifacts caused by composite (left) vs RGB (right). What consoles are you using?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's a world of difference. There's a reason having a RGB monitor is a bit of a holy grail for retrogamers. (of course that's half the battle, actually using RGB on it is the other half)

I have a PC engine Duo and SNES

OK so SNES will output RGB with just the proper Scart cable. The PC Engine however requires modding to output RGB, Voultar has a new board for it that I've heard good things about.

I'm building a new cable for my setup, so I can send you my current one when it's done. It might be about a month or so though.

RSS

n00b
I appreciate this so much. Does this mean with the SNES and the use of a SCART cable you don't use the RGB input on the XBR? Or do you just use one of those converter boxes for RGB that connect to the RCA inputs.Thanks

I appreciate this so much. Does this mean with the SNES and the use of a SCART cable you don't use the RGB input on the XBR? Or do you just use one of those converter boxes for RGB that connect to the RCA inputs.Thanks
SCART is pretty much the standard way to carry your RGB video signals. I built my current adapter you can see above to take a male SCART as input (such as a SCART coming from a SNES) and then pull out the RGBS + audio from it for the XBR's 34-pin RGB connector.

Last edited:

RSS

n00b
Oh, so you can pick up sound too. This sounds great. Also, my pc engine duo that I bought recently, was modded with a scart cable. I have not been able to use this as of now. Take care.

Rob

Oh, so you can pick up sound too. This sounds great. Also, my pc engine duo that I bought recently, was modded with a scart cable. I have not been able to use this as of now. Take care.

Rob

Nice! Will let you know when I get my new cable made. I posted a few pics of the TV running in RGB here.

RSS

n00b
I can definitely see a huge difference in the colors.Brighter and bolder. Does the RGB image seem softer compared to the composite?

I can definitely see a huge difference in the colors.Brighter and bolder. Does the RGB image seem softer compared to the composite?

No it's definitely much sharper. The first few pics I had the Picture setting too high and everything was blown out, on top of not being able to get my camera focused. That said, my set also doesn't have the best convergence. I've thought about messing with it, but it's one of those things where you can easily make it worse so I'm hesitant.

RSS

n00b
Are there any trimmers or pots to sharpen the picture inside the chassis as someone wrote?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Likely there's a focus adjust on the flyback. Though that alone may not be responsible for image softness.

Here's a pic I took of my KV-25XBR in RGB:
983fec834bc23a12b22e9d12bb187e5c.jpg

That's a non-1chip SNES, looking about as good as it can.

Last edited:

RSS

n00b
That looks pretty good. Just to compare my RF reception,there is a noisy,static coming from the picture. Not that bad,but not as smooth as your picture. I was wondering what version chip my SNES has. Though it is probably what you have since the serial no. is not in that the UN3 range.

Likely there's a focus adjust on the flyback. Though that alone may not be responsible for image softness.

Here's a pic I took of my KV-25XBR in RGB:

That's a non-1chip SNES, looking about as good as it can.

Man that looks great, you convinced me to get this thing calibrated :P

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
My bad, I was completely misreading your pinout. I definitely numbered mine wrong though, yours goes straight up the row vs. back and forth like normal floppy.

I tried to make a cable a couple of years ago and could never get it to work, the pinout numbering is what threw me off from reading this.

The TV is still in my garage and I was planning on loading it up this week to throw it in a dumpster.

Just a quick update, I did manage to get my 25XBR professionally calibrated the other day. I made a comparison, just mouse over to see the before and after. Definitely much sharper now, but still not on the level of DanAdam's I don't think. Here's another close-up. Regardless, I'm very happy with it, it has a killer picture in person. Waiting on some parts right now and then I'm going to start building my next cable. I will be running video and audio separately out of the gscartsw, so my plan is to use Monoprice's 6' VGA to 4-BNC cable, chop off the BNC plugs, then crimp to a new crimpable 34-pin connector. I also made sure to get one with the support brace that lets you loop something through to pull it out easier without ripping out the wires. I will update when I get something that works.

Last edited: