First player start not working

xjunorx

n00b
It's grounded and the switch is working fine. I tried switching the 2nd player switch with first and 2nd still works but 1st doesnt.

xjunorx

n00b
It's in a arcade machine. I haven't tried test mode. This is my first arcade machine.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
OK. If your handle and none of your buttons are working on the player one side,then there is an issue with your Jamma harness ground wire specific to the player one connection.
BB

xjunorx

n00b
The ground starts with player 1 start and ends with player 2 start so its making it all the way to the end.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The ground starts with player 1 start and ends with player 2 start so its making it all the way to the end.
If none of the buttons or handle is responding on the player one side,there has to be a break somewhere in that ground on the player one side....
You wouldn't happen to have a Neo Geo controller would you???
BB

xjunorx

n00b
I have a controller. I checked continuity and it makes it all the way through and it makes it from harness.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I have a controller. I checked continuity and it makes it all the way through and it makes it from harness.
If you have a Neo Geo console controller, plug that controller into the player 1 port on the board and see what happens..
BTW let me understand this correctly.. Is it just the Player one start button that's not responding???
BB

xjunorx

n00b
It's hard to say I don't think I can do anything unless I can start player 1. I just plugged a controller in and port 1 doesn't work and port 2 works fine

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You won't be able to access the test menu without the player one start button...it may be one of the array resistors went bad on the board..Do you have any other jamma boards to plug into the cab?
BB

Misos

New Challenger
Had a similar problem, but in my case the Button A was failing to register most of the time.
I replaced the resistor Ray that directly connects with the Button A and It solved the problem.

xjunorx

n00b
I'm sending it to someone to check it out. It must be a board issue if the mv1c works. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I tried your board on my supergun and in my mvs cabinet. P1 start worked fine on both.

I'm curious how you were testing it to think it wasn't working?

In unibios you have the region set to USA, which will cause unibios to act like a USA bios. The USA bios has independent coin shoots for player 1 and player 2. Is it possible you were just inserting coins into player 2's coin shoot? That would give the appearance P1 start wasn't working because player 1 wouldn't have credits.

Non-usa bioses treat the coin shoots as common between both players. So this maybe why P1 start worked on your MV1C board.

xjunorx

n00b
It was putting coins in player 1 but player 2 would only start. Does that mean they were hooked up wrong? Did you get any bad audio in any of the slots?

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Seems like the coins slots wiring might be swapped.

I have't done any testing beyond the P1 start button. I will run the board through my normal checklist this weekend and see if I find any issues.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I've not found any issues with the board. I went ahead and clean the cart slots and replaced 2 damaged feet.

Your audio issue may just be dirty carts. This is what I normally tell people

"You dont need to take the carts apart to clean them.

Wet a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and go in/out on each of the pins of the cart. I usually use 1 q-tip end per board side. The pins may look clean, but you will find the q-tip will turn black from the oxidation getting removed from the pins."

Unless there is something else you want me to look at, i'm ready to package it up and ship back. I still can't seem to PM you on here, can you msg me your shipping address on ebay.

xjunorx

n00b
Thank you. I dont think the controls are wired wrong. If the coins are backwards then then the player boards must be backwards to. It adds the coins to the first player side.