Firefly: Serenity

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
On a forum full of geeks, there has to be some Firefly love in here.

Anyone else seeing this tonight? I haven't wanted to watch a movie this badly since LotR.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I've never seen the show, but my wife and I want to see the movie. I'm debating whether or not I should pick up the Firefly box set and watch that before checking out the movie.

Eric

Fight On!,
Saw it last night at a midnight showing.

It definitely helps to be familiar with the show before seeing it. But even if you haven't seen the show I think most people will be pleased with the movie.

There isn't that much too know after all. It only ran for 14 episodes.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Eric said:
Saw it last night at a midnight showing.

It definitely helps to be familiar with the show before seeing it. But even if you haven't seen the show I think most people will be pleased with the movie.

There isn't that much too know after all. It only ran for 14 episodes.

Sword through a belly should equal death... that's all I'm saying.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
probably not, especially since they've been overrunning the commercials for it here...seems like things never live up to expectations when they've been hyped up too much. :confused:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
i find it amazing a canceled tv show gets a big budget movie. either way firefly owns, they have a trilogy planned for this first film, i just hope it makes enough money to finish....

TemJin3000

Axel's Trainer
saw it today, liked it ALOT, felt like what it was supposed to be: a space opera and spagetti western combined into a well-written and acted film...of course the character i like the most is Adam Baldwin's "Jane"...everyone is cool, but he's the most likable guy in it imo.

Eric

Fight On!,
Jayne is in many ways the most unnceccesary and yet still the most needed character in the series for me.

Everyone should see the episode "Jaynestown" or the episode where Jayne gets his hat. :D

nruva: :envy:

Last edited:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
The reason we got a Firefly movie was because the boxed set sold over 200,000 copies in its first 4 months of release. Universal decided to give Joss Whedon a $50M budget to make a film (storylinewise, comes right after all the episodes in the boxed set) and tried marketing it through the internet and blogs as an experiment. If Serenity does well, we'll be seeing 2 more Firefly movies.

I don't like Sci-fi and I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, and I absolutely loved Firefly... both the series and the movie. I rarely watch TV series and I had low expectations for Firefly, save for a friend who was nagging me to watch it for months. Finally, I went downstairs while he was rewatching episode 1... and then sat there for 5-6 hours watching the next half dozen episodes straight.

It's not a sci-fi series... it's more like a film with very intense characters that happen to be in a sci-fi setting. You can enjoy Serenity without any series background, but you'll get maximum enjoyment if you've watched the box set first.

Anyway, best film I've seen in 2005, though admittedly I don't watch many movies. I really enjoyed this, and everyone in the theater was really getting into it (laughing, cheering, clapping, gasping). It was the most diverse crowd I've seen in a theater in a long time, too.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Saw it tonight, not because I'd ever seen Firefly, but on the faith that Joss Whedon's writing wouldn't let me down.

I'll probably go pick up a Firefly boxset this weekend :D

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Eric said:
Jayne is in many ways the most unnceccesary and yet still the most needed character in the series for me.

Everyone should see the episode "Jaynestown" or the episode where Jayne gets hit hat. :D

nruva: :envy:

Don't go spilling a salty sea breeze on me...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
dude i finally know where reavers come from. i always saw them as an interesting and yet freakin scary aspect of the show. and now i know where they're from and how they are the way they are. crazy self mutilating raping bastards.

Kristoff

Another Striker
I got back after traveling for the summer and my sister had bought the Firefly boxset. I had heard of Serenity months before (on a Penny Arcade post actually), but never really looked into it.

So I watch the Firely series and was blown away! The writing and characters are fucking amazing. The storyline and plot are timed perfectly. And the whole thing has a very solid balanced feel to it.

So anyway, yeah, definitely hyped to see the movie!

Scuz39

User title.,
Everyone must see it! seen it twice already in theaters will probably see it 2 more times before it leaves... From a man who goes to 2-3 movies a year and has never seen a movie twice in theaters in his life that is saying something :).

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I'm amped to see it since I loved the show( and the comic miniseries it has ) but it'll be a week before I have the time to go see it though, I so wanna know where the revers come from.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
If I thought Buffy was a fucking stupid show how will I feel about Firefly?

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
StickmanLoser said:
If I thought Buffy was a fucking stupid show how will I feel about Firefly?
I found Buffy pretty cliche and dull, and I loved Firefly. Never seen such great chemistry between a cast before. Might be worth your time renting Firefly through Netflix or whatever.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
well this isn't good for more movies, firefly only made 3.9 million on friday.

but worldwide grosses could be huge, as well as dvd sales. but still most success is judged on the domestic box office, its looking to do around 10-12 million for the weekend, considering most movies drop off 50% in their second weekends, thats not a good start for a 50 million dollar movie.

BTW buffy i didn't like, but i liked his other show Angel for the first season or two when it was a dark vampire drama, before it turned into a buffy knock off pretty fast.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Just got back from watching it.

Awesome, awesome movie. I have two gripes about it though....

SPOILERS

THEY FUCKING KILLED WASH!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

And they killed Book. Something Early (bounty hunter) said in the last Episode of the show made me think there was more to Book than what was on the surface. He said "That isn't a shepherd." Also, Book- while a shepherd- knew all kinds of info about weapons, tactics, and stuff that shepherds don't really know... AND when he went into the hospital at the Alliance space station - they admitted him in a hurry after they found out who he was, but we were never told.

Too good of a character and they killed him off.. :crying: :crying:

End Spoilers.

Yeah, it was a great movie.

SSS

neo retired
*possible spoilers*

WOW. That's all I could say under my breath as I left the theatre. Was a great movie, but I'm somewhat pissed off. Not in where the story went, but in the way it was told.

First of all it felt nothing like the TV show. The humor and the one liners that made you chuckle and enjoy the show were practically non-existant in the movie. And the atmopshere, totally fucking dark. Even though some episodes had some pretty intense scenes (torture episode) when it was over you still had a warm and fuzzy feeling. Not so with this feature.

The pacing of the movie is mostly what puts it apart from the show. Everything happens so fast, where in the show they take their time. More time was spent on all the characters so they felt more believable. The movie it's different, characters feel like they get a split second on screen, the only character you get to see really being affected by what is going on is Mal.

Now I realize this couldn't be helped. Whedon figured this might be his last shot with Firefly so he wanted to answer as many questions as he could. What happens with Wash and Zoe? May not like the answer but at least you get one. Although there are a few plot holes created by things that were seen on the show. Guys with the blue gloves and the head-bleeder-thing. Blue Sun Corp (watch the show you'll see the logo everywhere, even on Jayne's shirt). Seems like whedon just tossed the preacher asside without a second thought. His past was never brought to light.

So in the end you get a really fast paced movie with a great plot, but practically no time on character development or any time spent in one particular local. You get glimpses but nothing indepth like the show provided. In the end this story was best left in the format it was orignally in.

So who am I pissed at? Fox, the sponsors etc... killing a great show so they could free up space for more drivel. Hopefully it could be picked up again as a show but I don't see that happening. Greater chance for another movie, they've already picked up the pace I can't see them slowing back down. At least the movie provided a better "ending" than the show did.

Great story that was unfortunately rushed to a "closing point".

Again FUCK FOX. :blow_top:

pick up the series on dvd, great steal for 30 bucks.

syringe

Banned
If It's made by Joss Whedon then it's automatically a rental or as the case may be a download.

Sorry if this annoys the scifi fanboys, but every movie set in outer space doesn't automatically make me cream my pants.

:chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
syringe said:
Sorry if this annoys the scifi fanboys, but every movie set in outer space doesn't automatically make me cream my pants.
You are really living onthe edge, defying the nerds like that. I bet sometimes when it's cloudy, you say fuck it, and don't even take an umbrella or anything. What are you going to do for your next trick, annoy the elderly?