Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's great news. See...the problem is that the harder they push this shit, the more they risk it getting overturned by a court. Most firearm laws are bullshit, especially mag-cap laws and feature bans.

On a no so related note...I went and did it. I bought a 460 S&W X-Frame tonight. Stupid background checks are taking up to 10 days so for now, I'm grounded.

For tonights, I made my first reload...a 44 magnum is on the LEFT.

5gEyrNIh.jpg

...and the one on the LEFT made this fireball here:
P1hIDhnl.jpg

What do you think the one on the right will do?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
DAMN.

What’s the parent case for the 460?

You have a link to an X-Frame gun?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Does anyone else have any military surplus historical guns?

I’ve got tons of ww2 guns mainly American and german.

This is my Nazi 1944 produced p38
A33B74A5-BEA3-4A1B-81EA-C61119EB0B40.jpeg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have an M1 Garand. Manufactured in ‘44 with a Korean War era barrel. Doesn’t have the original stock.

I’ve got a sporterized Carcano of some flavor, need to do some research on it. Also have IIRC an Argentinian Mouser in .308, presumably rechambered and barreled in the 50s. I need to do some research on that one too.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
That's great news. See...the problem is that the harder they push this shit, the more they risk it getting overturned by a court. Most firearm laws are bullshit, especially mag-cap laws and feature bans.

On a no so related note...I went and did it. I bought a 460 S&W X-Frame tonight. Stupid background checks are taking up to 10 days so for now, I'm grounded.

For tonights, I made my first reload...a 44 magnum is on the LEFT.

5gEyrNIh.jpg

...and the one on the LEFT made this fireball here:
P1hIDhnl.jpg

What do you think the one on the right will do?

Being the owner of a 500 S&W I can honestly say I am not a fan of either the 500 or 460, shooting either is like pulling a thumbtack out of the bottom of your foot every time you pull the trigger.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ll be interested to see your thoughts on shooting the 460.

What all loads will you be working up for the first range session?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Being the owner of a 500 S&W I can honestly say I am not a fan of either the 500 or 460, shooting either is like pulling a thumbtack out of the bottom of your foot every time you pull the trigger.

I'm going to use reloading as a route to curb that. If I didn't reload, I wouldn't even be considering 460. Factory ammo is really hot and super expensive.

I can load Hornady 240g XTP's hot for $12/20. 300g for $13/20.

I'm currently working on a much lighter load using Hornady 250g XTP over Trail Boss powder (still in a 460 case).

I'm not interested in shooting shorter cases in the 460, too much cleaning and by what I understand, the chamber has to be spotless for hard hitting 460 rounds or else they'll get stuck on extraction.

I’ll be interested to see your thoughts on shooting the 460.

What all loads will you be working up for the first range session?

4 types using 240 and 300g XTPs. Two very hot ones for both, but under max charges, one lighter load in a 300g projectile, one very light load with a 240g projectile.

I'm going to take the chrono out to see what these do, I really do not want my first time out these being on a public range.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I have an M1 Garand. Manufactured in ‘44 with a Korean War era barrel. Doesn’t have the original stock.

I’ve got a sporterized Carcano of some flavor, need to do some research on it. Also have IIRC an Argentinian Mouser in .308, presumably rechambered and barreled in the 50s. I need to do some research on that one too.

Very nice that you have a garand. I love that ping it makes when the clip ejects on the last round. Is the stock wood at least? I do see cheap correct surplus stocks now and then for around $200ish..

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yes it’s a newly manufactured stock. It’s quite nice. Paid less than 700 shipped to my door from
The CMP.

When’s the last time the government mailed a gun to you?

Crom Bless this country.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Yes it’s a newly manufactured stock. It’s quite nice. Paid less than 700 shipped to my door from
The CMP.

When’s the last time the government mailed a gun to you?

Crom Bless this country.

Very nice I have made a few purchases from the CMP they are good people! When did you buy it?

I’ve decided to put all game purchases on hold to buy a new handgun. I will buy one of the following next.

1. Sig p226 9mm fully stainless instead of aluminum frame
2. Vintage Colt python ( message me if you have one you would sell)
3. Hk usp tactical 45acp

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think I must have got it in 2011 or 2012.

Some requirements have changed and made it a bit trickier to get CMP stuff mailed direct in CA. I might have to go through the process again. I should at least get my C&R again.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Very nice I have made a few purchases from the CMP they are good people! When did you buy it?

I’ve decided to put all game purchases on hold to buy a new handgun. I will buy one of the following next.

1. Sig p226 9mm fully stainless instead of aluminum frame
2. Vintage Colt python ( message me if you have one you would sell)
3. Hk usp tactical 45acp

From that list I would say get the 226.
Magazines, holsters, and other parts/accessories are easier to come by.
You won't be afraid to actually use it.
The python is way overpriced & the USP is pretty much a collectors item.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
From that list I would say get the 226.
Magazines, holsters, and other parts/accessories are easier to come by.
You won't be afraid to actually use it.
The python is way overpriced & the USP is pretty much a collectors item.

Usability? 100% correct, the Sig would be the most useful of the bunch.

Same on the Colt...I really do not understand the reason why they are currently commanding such high prices. Nostalgia perhaps? The prices on the new production models isn't any better.

I don't know poo about most HK products, except that they're very proud of their stuff. I will say that the few HK pistols I've messed with have really mediocre triggers, but I've never shot one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
First off...one week later and I still can't go pick up the freaking thing. Goddamn "common sense" gun laws...sure, right.

Second...this is one hell of a panic driven ammo run, boys. I can't recall the last time it was this severe. Maybe my memory is cloudy, but I don't remember 2009, 2013 being this nasty. As usual, I log on to SGammo to see the state of the union and they're stripped clean. Savages even scooped up $800/case Winchester t-series 9mm....$800/case!

I'll say its difficult to get while the getting is good at times...but god, am I thankful I now reload AND I bought reloading supplies early. You can't find reloading stuff either...

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
when it's cheap, stack it deep.

But yeah, shits looking pretty ugly.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If Biden wins we’ll have the biggest shortage in memory. All the retired FUDDs will be out waiting before the stores open for the delivery truck to come.

Are reloading supplies scarce at the moment?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If Biden wins we’ll have the biggest shortage in memory. All the retired FUDDs will be out waiting before the stores open for the delivery truck to come.

Are reloading supplies scarce at the moment?

For the most part, yes. I wasn't reloading back in 2013, but a friend was and he told me you couldn't get powder or primers to save your life. Because of this, I began setting some back in 2019. According to two forums I'm on, small pistol primers seem to be the hard to attain item at the moment. Powder, especially for small pistol loads, is kind of different. There's 7000 grains of powder in 1lb (the typical size of a jar you'll see). I ordered a 4lb jug of one type last year, that's 28,000 grains of powder. I'm currently loading 9mm over 4.1 grains of it. That's enough powder to load 6800+ rounds...in one jug. Primers are a different story, typically you buy them by the 1000 "case", which is a small sized box.

I'm going to keep on shooting like I always have...if I get low(er) on reloading supplies, I guess I'll cool off like I did back in 2013.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I found the exact discontinued p226 black stainless frame and slide i've been looking for. I'm probably going to pick it up in the next few days.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was finally able to get that 460 tonight. I'm sure you all have seen enough of these...but, well,this one is mine. To give you guys an idea of how massive this thing is, here is it next to my very large Super Redhawk:
iD9uoJ8l.jpg

And to put that into proportion...here it is up against my 357 magnum:
1I9LN8vl.jpg

I couldn't help myself, I just had to go and try it out...that and I wanted to test out my hand loads, which I knew were going to be on the hot side. I tested out some 240g and 300g Hornady XTP loads. The 240g are supposed to be i the 1900-2000 fps range, the 300g, the 1500-1600 fps range. The thing is a freaking howitzer to shoot...and amazingly fun. The muzzle blast, especially from the 240g projectiles, is blinding and the report is equally as impressive. I was shooting it in daylight and outside without a covering, it's going to be a hoot shooting this thing at the range and with a covering.

There were many times when I feared that I may have over bought a gun this time...and I can say that without a doubt, that was incorrect. This thing definitely kicks, but with the very stout 44 magnum loads I've made (like over 1600 fps with a 240 projectile kind of stout), it's not that horrific. Where as the 44 mag super hot loads scare me because I don't want to blow up my gun, these don't because I'm well within the safety zone of what that frame can handle.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I was finally able to get that 460 tonight. I'm sure you all have seen enough of these...but, well,this one is mine. To give you guys an idea of how massive this thing is, here is it next to my very large Super Redhawk:
iD9uoJ8l.jpg

And to put that into proportion...here it is up against my 357 magnum:
1I9LN8vl.jpg

I couldn't help myself, I just had to go and try it out...that and I wanted to test out my hand loads, which I knew were going to be on the hot side. I tested out some 240g and 300g Hornady XTP loads. The 240g are supposed to be i the 1900-2000 fps range, the 300g, the 1500-1600 fps range. The thing is a freaking howitzer to shoot...and amazingly fun. The muzzle blast, especially from the 240g projectiles, is blinding and the report is equally as impressive. I was shooting it in daylight and outside without a covering, it's going to be a hoot shooting this thing at the range and with a covering.

There were many times when I feared that I may have over bought a gun this time...and I can say that without a doubt, that was incorrect. This thing definitely kicks, but with the very stout 44 magnum loads I've made (like over 1600 fps with a 240 projectile kind of stout), it's not that horrific. Where as the 44 mag super hot loads scare me because I don't want to blow up my gun, these don't because I'm well within the safety zone of what that frame can handle.

Have you fired the heavier loads, have you also tried 454 out yet. I force myself to use no lower 500 grain. I still regret the one and only time I tried out 700 gr ammo. I think I am biased toward my Desert Eagle though when it comes to shooting magnum rounds comfortably.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Have you fired the heavier loads, have you also tried 454 out yet. I force myself to use no lower 500 grain. I still regret the one and only time I tried out 700 gr ammo. I think I am biased toward my Desert Eagle though when it comes to shooting magnum rounds comfortably.

With the 460, it's not going to get much heavier than around 360 grain projectiles.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but I've fired a 500 S&W years ago and I didn't like it. Now, this may be different now, I've spent a lot of time with harder kicking revolvers so who knows.

Personally, given the light/fast vs the heavy/slow types of revolver rounds, I really prefer the light and fast. They seem to kick less but provide a really awesome shooting experience. I don't shoot them often, but my favorite boomer 44 magnum load is a 180g projectile cooking in the 1700-1800 fps range.

With projectile prices being what they are, I'm probably going to stick to 240 and 300g XTP MAG projectiles for now. The boutique hard case lead gas check boomers are super expensive and unless I plan on taking on a bear or something, kinda of worthless to me.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Unfortunately the deal on the sig fell through due to the seller deciding to keep it. I ended up with the usp tactical, I’ve always wanted a HK of some type and I really like this gun.

smokehouse - i like your newest revolver, especially the ported barrel. It’s functional and has a mean look.

Attachments

• 31B8BED2-96CD-40D5-8DA8-FC43B656AB3F.jpeg
    31B8BED2-96CD-40D5-8DA8-FC43B656AB3F.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 90
  • B75C919A-6E77-47E3-AD06-34FE8A5492BF.jpeg
    B75C919A-6E77-47E3-AD06-34FE8A5492BF.jpeg
    993.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited: