finally got my genesis to work with my neobitz rgb to component board.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
the picture looks so nice :) much better than my old svideo board.
i also got my super nova working with the neobitz board very nice:)

below is what i did.
i dont under stand why i have to tie the normal video sync with the y of the component out(i tried to use small circuit to filter the sync signal but that did not help) it is needed to get the genesis to display the colors right
if i dont the blacks and other colors will have a washed out neon look to them.
i needed the resistors in the rgb input side to keep the colors from flooding out details they are normaly way too intence.

any one have a clue to the science behide the color and black problem?
i dont even know why the cap is needed but i was told to give it a try. it helped sync in the picture.

the picture looks nice but it looks way better in person some reason
the digi cam makes the white look a little on the yellow side

sonicneobitz.jpg
genesisneobitz.jpg

Last edited:

sota1j

n00b
Could you please post detailed step by step instructions?I can't read schematics.Thanks.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Does this work on any model of Genesis?

GAMEFAN

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Gamefan said:
Does this work on any model of Genesis?

GAMEFAN
Your Genny 2 with the KA2195D should work fine with the NeoBitz. But the price is signficantly more than you buying another Genny with a 1145 or 1645 in it, sending it back and forth for modding, and paying for the mod.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
i have tested it on the model one genesis, 1st model sega cd, cdx, 32x, power base converter, tototek master system adapter(like the power base), and nomad.

only the nomad seems to have some problem with it .
the video on the nomad will go out of sync and there is some diagonal noise that moves through the picture on the tv side. the rest are perfect.

there may be a problem on other tvs.... i will have to test it on my old wega.
the svideo out and composite video will not work.
i do get perfect video from the component out.

neobitz_custom.jpg

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Your Genny 2 with the KA2195D should work fine with the NeoBitz. But the price is signficantly more than you buying another Genny with a 1145 or 1645 in it, sending it back and forth for modding, and paying for the mod.

True, maybe I should just try and purchase a Genny that you have modded already? Do you have one of those?

ALso, the picture looks totally awesome in RGB.

GAMEFAN

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
acem77 said:
the picture looks nice but it looks way better in person some reason
the digi cam makes the white look a little on the yellow side

Check the "WHITE BALANCE" option on your camera !!!

- Steven Spielberg

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
thanks for the hint but i have tried that before. none of the modes looked better.
just something with how the dlp and camera work...

Iroshi*Nagasaki

Kabuki Klasher
D-Lite said:

D-lite have you moded the genesis first model(mega drive or altredbeast model)with component video?.If so.Is the difference worth paying for?
bgenjuro1wp.jpg

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I've done the S-Video to genesis, but haven't tried one of Jeff's excellent NeoBitz boards yet on a genny.

If that picture is any indication...whoah! S-Video is nice, but that component looks *pure* for lack of a better description. :eek:

"worth it" is directly connected to your budget. Adding a NeoBitz board to a Genesis mod easily more than doubles the cost of the mod from OSG. If you can DIY it, it's definitely worth it. Or if money is not important. :D

Thanks for the thread!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Trust me, modding the Genny is so worth it! The RF output totally sucks. It's no fun playing with vertical bars every 8 pixels or so. Looks like crap.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
the neobitz picture is way more pure than the svideo i mod i was using for all my systems.
i think it is the best you can get if you do not have a hd tv.
i have once again upgraded my video for my legacy systems.
i sold my neobitz board and bought a xrgb2 plus.
this works great with my vga port on my tv it also up scans all my video to progressive scan.
the picture now is clear as it can get.
looks as sharp as a emulator on the pc.
no lag a lot of hd tv have a little lag with interlaced video.
some thing to do with the way they up scan it to display the picture.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I've not tried the NeoBitz on a Genny, but I know how much a jump the S-Video alone is. I've found that the standard S-Video upgrade is very very nice.

Now on a Turbo Duo, I've played around with the NeoBitz and gotten it to work quite nicely. I'll have to look at what I ended up finally using, but I had to amp the RGB with a KA2195D (or CXA1145 or CXA1645) first and I believe I had to amp the sync too. Again, I'd have to check. The Genesis has much higher RGB output than a Turbo, so amplifying it shouldn't be necessary.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
re-added the missing pics from old webserver.

here is all the info i had for the neobitz and my setup.

before fix genny
genny_470ufcap_100Kpot%20.jpg

neo-geo, duo and segacd
neo_duo_segacd.jpg

drawing of mod to get the genny working
genesisneobitz.jpg

pic of perfect genny image after fix
sonicneobitz.jpg