Final Fantasy XVI

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member

Back to a fantasy setting, which I'm happy about. The trailer kinda mangles the plot setup, so I don't know what to make of that.

The gameplay looks like either XV or Neir. I guess we'll have to hope that some side-series games stick to turn based.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Looks like it runs on the same engine as XV, right down to the teleport attack. Which is fine, the combat in 15 was fun if a little button mashy.

Story sounds like a bunch of gibberish, hopefully it'll turn out better than the trailer makes it look. I mean, that looks bad even by the standards of a series that built an entire game around Fal'cie and L'cie.

Kind of underwhelming, but I suppose that's in line with everything else re: next gen.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Kind of underwhelming, but I suppose that's in line with everything else re: next gen.

Yerp. I'm really not seeing anything that has me wanting to buy one of these machines thus far. I was hoping they'd announce a PS4 Pro price drop, though...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I just rewatched the trailer. God damn they garbled whatever plot they were trying to convey. But it seems like it's pretty far along in production. I'm guessing it'll be out in 2022.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
All of these previews are telling me that I don't need to buy a console on day 1. Do we even have a list of launch titles yet?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The only launch game I am remotely interested in is the new Ratchet and Clank but not going to drop $500 just to play that.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
The only launch game I am remotely interested in is the new Ratchet and Clank but not going to drop $500 just to play that.

Yep, same. I'll get a PS5 eventually, but I already have a nice PC for the vast majority of modern games. Although, I'm a sucker for Final Fantasy so I'm glad to see the trailer regardless.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Two of the games I want are sequels:

Resident Evil 8- Village
God of War

Two are remakes:

Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
Demon's Souls Remastered

None of these are launch titles, from what I can tell.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
some of those enviroments look straight out of the witcher.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Demons Souls will be a launch title according to a tweet from Sony's Yoshida. It will also be on PC but not sure if it will release at the same time. It may come to other platforms too as it says it's a console timed exclusive to PS5, but it would be weird if it comes to Xbox / Switch. Maybe a PS4 port down the line?

FF16 felt like a mix between FF14 and FF15. Not surprising considering FF14's director is the producer here. Besides the settings, I mainly liked the tone. Blood and a beheading( ?). I heard it's expected to be released in 2022 but didn't see the source. Hopefully FF7R next parts will keep us busy until then if those don't take forever as well.

Mildly interested in Godfall if it turns out to be actually good. Just not keen on the co-op aspect. Can't wait to try Astrobot, which will come free / pre-installed with PS5

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Demons Souls will be a launch title according to a tweet from Sony's Yoshida. It will also be on PC but not sure if it will release at the same time. It may come to other platforms too as it says it's a console timed exclusive to PS5, but it would be weird if it comes to Xbox / Switch. Maybe a PS4 port down the line?

FF16 felt like a mix between FF14 and FF15. Not surprising considering FF14's director is the producer here. Besides the settings, I mainly liked the tone. Blood and a beheading( ?). I heard it's expected to be released in 2022 but didn't see the source. Hopefully FF7R next parts will keep us busy until then if those don't take forever as well.

Mildly interested in Godfall if it turns out to be actually good. Just not keen on the co-op aspect. Can't wait to try Astrobot, which will come free / pre-installed with PS5

The trailer video for Demon's Souls remake got pulled and Sony later updated saying that DS will be exlcusive to the PS5, and didn't mention PC or other consoles at all

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Gonna be awesome when only 20 percent of the target market can play these games day 1.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Gonna be awesome when only 20 percent of the target market can play these games day 1.

Right now though, it's play the big chips you have to push MS off the table. Launches 2 days after the XSX, God of War game coming out next year, maybe they are rushing it out the gate?
Probably selling the PS5 at a bigger loss than they had thought of doing, but between the XSS price point, and the lack of disposable money out there, Sony are being as aggressive and bombastic as they can be. Which is not very by the looks of things.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Right now though, it's play the big chips you have to push MS off the table. Launches 2 days after the XSX, God of War game coming out next year, maybe they are rushing it out the gate?
Probably selling the PS5 at a bigger loss than they had thought of doing, but between the XSS price point, and the lack of disposable money out there, Sony are being as aggressive and bombastic as they can be. Which is not very by the looks of things.

Whats so funny to me is the game they wrote off as "trash" (demon's souls) not only birthed a new pseudo-genre, and helped push sales of PS4 with Bloodborne. Now is being remade from the ground up to push sales of the PS5

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Whats so funny to me is the game they wrote off as "trash" (demon's souls) not only birthed a new pseudo-genre, and helped push sales of PS4 with Bloodborne. Now is being remade from the ground up to push sales of the PS5

Kind of shows how they wing it sometimes. It is ironic though I concure

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Sounds like Sony's claims of exclusivity are pretty flimsy. IIRC FFXVI will be a 6 month console exclusive, then come out on PC. Then 6 months after that, it will be available on XSX.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Blantheus Algarth never dies!

some of those enviroments look straight out of the witcher.

Yeah, the whole setting/tone was very much FFXV x The Witcher 3 x Game of Thrones.

The Chocobo knights were koll, reminded me of Nausicaä.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I loved XV. I'll be getting this when I get a PS5. I hope it takes a while to come out though.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'll definitely get this as well, I love the darker bloodier tone.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
congrats on going back to a Fantasy setting.....
but no one fucking cares anymore. Final Fantasy and JRPG's are dead.
Did anyone even play FF15? Aka kingdom hearts for angsty teens

Alpha Troll

War Room Troll
Final Fantasy sucked since 8. I'm surprised they are still making them. Guess all them furries and bronies in the anime circles are still eating that putrid garb up. Lol

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Final Fantasy XV, which my wife jokingly called 'Truckstop the Video Game', seemed to have left no mark or impression on the collective gaming consciousness except amongst the weeb subgroup and the J-Pop and K-Pop types.

That's fine. Sex sells and all that. I'm all about beauty and virility in fantasy settings. I don't want to see ugly and fat people in leading roles in fantasy stories.

EDIT: Unless it's a subversion of the trope, in which case, fine. It's fine to shake things up once in a while.

But it's just weird that outside of teenagers with the lamest tastes in escapism (IMHO), no one cares.

There isn't even the divisiveness that we see in FF XIII's audience, which can still be sparked by a lazy troll looking for lolz to this day.

I've LONG said that FF XIV (yes, the MMO) is the apex of this series, the ultimate representation of what this series could be. It's got everything we love about the series when it was at its best:

-Crystals
-Chocobos
-Airships
-Western fantasy aesthetic as seen through Japanese artistic expression
-All of our favorite in-game jobs (Red Mage, Monk, Dragoon, etc.)
-A vast, sprawling world with every environment imaginable
-Environmental themes
-Anti-war messaging
-An oppressive Empire in love with technology that corrupts the natural order
-A compelling primary cast that you like and want to see more of
-Respect for the franchise's history

If you like Final Fantasy, then you like Final Fantasy XIV. If you think you hate it, you probably wouldn't hate it quite so much after spending some time with it.

They might as well have called it Final Fantasy XIV: A Franchise Realized.

Because it's all downhill from here as they move forward with numbered entries they aren't remakes.

SE could always prove me wrong. I hope they do.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I've LONG said that FF XIV (yes, the MMO) is the apex of this series, the ultimate representation of what this series could be. It's got everything we love about the series when it was at its best:

-Crystals
-Chocobos
-Airships
-Western fantasy aesthetic as seen through Japanese artistic expression
-All of our favorite in-game jobs (Red Mage, Monk, Dragoon, etc.)
-A vast, sprawling world with every environment imaginable
-Environmental themes
-Anti-war messaging
-An oppressive Empire in love with technology that corrupts the natural order

If you like Final Fantasy, then you like Final Fantasy XIV. If you think you hate, you probably wouldn't hate it quite so much.

They might as well have called it Final Fantasy XIV: A Franchise Realized.

Because it's all downhill from here as they move forward with numbered entries they aren't remakes.

SE could always prove wrong. I hope they do.

Come a long way since the trashfire that was Version 1.0. It's better at being WoW than WoW itself ever was.