Final Fantasy IV Advance Release day thread!

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Final Fantasy IV Advance hits US shores today.

Post impressions here.

I will be going to EB after work to pick up mine and Loopz copy today.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I've got this on my Xmas list, so I'll have to wait.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
went to Fry's at lunch and they didn't have it....I refuse to go to Gaystop or EBcrap.

I bet OYashiro gets some.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Sounds good. By the way, is it basically the original or some improved version of it? I'm kind of even more psyched about the DS FF3 release only because I had no idea they were revamping any FF game that much. Still, IV might be a good pickup since the collection I have has 5 and 6 and I didn't get the one for IV since I already had Chrono Trigger.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Kirk Foiden said:
Sounds good. By the way, is it basically the original or some improved version of it? I'm kind of even more psyched about the DS FF3 release only because I had no idea they were revamping any FF game that much. Still, IV might be a good pickup since the collection I have has 5 and 6 and I didn't get the one for IV since I already had Chrono Trigger.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3146237&did=1

Remaking a classic is a risky prospect. Just take a look at Hollywood for example after example of how badly it can go. At the other end of the spectrum is Final Fantasy IV Advance, one of the rare successes -- a remake that easily exceeds the original.

As a matter of fact, it wouldn't be a stretch to call this the definitive version of the game. The Super NES version (aka Final Fantasy II) was good stuff in its time, but it's aged poorly -- the graphics were barely above the 8-bit standard, the translation was abysmal and the gameplay was massively simplified for America.

Since FF4A is based on the original Japanese ("hardtype") version of the game, the journey may be more difficult than many gamers remember. The battles begin easily enough, but the challenge level soon kicks up a few notches and inventory space grows hard to come by. To compensate, most characters have extra skills that were cut out of the Super NES game, such as Porom's "Cry" (which lowers enemy accuracy). It's a faithful restoration, suffering only from a slightly reduced resolution, moderately rearranged music and annoying slowdown during combat -- the biggest flaw in this port.

Best of all, FF4A is more than a simple port. Like Dawn of Souls, it offers a massive amount of bonus content. True, there's nothing truly new on tap -- the bonus material is almost entirely comprised of graphics and monsters drawn from the main quest, including the slightly disappointing bonus boss who mainly proves that, like a nomadic tribe, Square Enix will let no scrap go to waste. But despite the heavy recycling going on, the bonus material should be a major plus to fans who have explored every last nook and cranny of the game over the past 15 years; not only does it allow disused characters a chance to return to action, it also nearly doubles the play time with some genuinely challenging battles and character-specific events that provide a glimpse into what drives them. While some of the bonus trials are little more than straightforward battles, others are much more creative: A Crazy Taxi-style delivery service, a murder mystery and more.

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
just popped this in my ds and im just at the begining. BUT I have noticed quite a few things allready that im not to keen on. The airship sequence in the begining suffers from framerate issues they kinda jerk forward and what not. the music IMO so far is not improved but sounds better with headphones.

stopped for a second to play some more
The framerate is strange is all i have to say, maybe its my ds or something. The graphics so far look better in some places and worse in others.
I'm still very excited about this game.well im off to play it some more. ill check back here in a few.

Last edited:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Once you start playing it the slowdown is easily overlooked or should i say its not bugging me as much.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
I wonder how much of an improvement over the wonderswan version it is, anyone manage to find some screens yet comparing the two?

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Circuit City has it for 25. They didn't have it today but Target had it for 26.99. Good stuff :multi_co: .

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I got to the cave where you get Tellah.

So far I am stoked.

Its basically the SNES version on your GBA.

Yes I noticed some slowdown on that opening airship sequence also. Overall the music is tweaked and sounds better in some areas but not as good in others.

Its definatley more difficult than the US Snes release. You also get the better translation. Now I havent made it to the "spoony bard" part but I hope that is intact.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I picked mine up today and hope to play it around Christmas. I loved the SNES version but I only made it about half way through it. I have heard that they also added a fifty level dungeon.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
26.88 at Target :) Get it there instead of EB or Gamestop.

I bought it and then realized I left my GBA at someone else's house. I guess I'll stare at the box all week and play it this weekend :annoyed:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Borman said:
I wonder how much of an improvement over the wonderswan version it is, anyone manage to find some screens yet comparing the two?

I'm very curious about this too.
FFIV is both my favorite FF game and my favorite RPG.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I got it at Bestbuy for $19.99 + tax (by using $10 coupon) :drool_2:

FFIV (US SNES FFII) is my all-time favorite RPG. I just played GBA port this afternoon and everything is just ...........beautiful on GBA screen. I don't really care if resolution is less than SNES original or remixed music, I just love it!!!!!!

I've never play my PS version yet..........

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I picked it up as well. It's awesome! Although, I do have to admit that I'm not a fan of the font they chose for the in-game text. I would much prefer the original SNES font. Although it's seemingly a minor issue, to me, that font is part of what gave FF4 it's distinct feel.

I very much hope they choose to keep the original font of FF6 intact for the upcoming GBA release.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Is the translation identical to the FF6 PS1 game?

TonK said:
Whoah! What?
49114_1.jpg

sorry for my bad english :buttrock:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
genjiglove said:
I'm pretty sure it didn't.

Then you may disregard my previous posts in this thread as they serve no purpose.

American gamers get the shaft once again.