Final Fantasy 7 Remake : The Thread

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Game is very happy to randomly waste the player's time. So few devs do that anymore but wow this is one of the worst. The boss fights are generally fantastic and the character building is cool but the other 75 percent is just tedious.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Game is very happy to randomly waste the player's time. So few devs do that anymore but wow this is one of the worst. The boss fights are generally fantastic and the character building is cool but the other 75 percent is just tedious.

Not far enough in (Chapter 8-ish?) to make any definitive statements but this has largely been my experience thus far.

Marek

Banned

I mean.... Did you play the original? Having large amounts of time wasted is pretty on brand.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I just beat them. Having 2 revival errangs equipped is a must for the 4th round. The catch: don't die at any point before the instant death move, even in the previous rounds (it's stressful, especially with high damaging moves and having multiple tonberry's around).

The 5th round is a breeze in comparison. Just always have Cloud constantly behind the boss and you are good to go.

Edit: totally forgot about the reprieve weapons upgrade. It could work better than the revival errangs (I hear Manawall also helps you survive, but I didn't try it)

Platinumed the game btw. Also 100%'ed the play log.

Lame because it means you have to preordered the digital deluxe, or bought the first class edition, But carbuncle makes the Bahamut hard mode fight a cake walk. Just summon before he cast his ultimate and entire party will be revived immediately afterwards.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Not far enough in (Chapter 8-ish?) to make any definitive statements but this has largely been my experience thus far.
That's exactly where I'm at. The boss fights are so good it seems worth it I think?
I mean.... Did you play the original? Having large amounts of time wasted is pretty on brand.
Lol true, game was 45 hours long and maybe half that was useful.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I thought the boss fights were very boring. Just hold block/counter, then limit break.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
OST is out now on CD and on the web.

In the usual places if you're inclined to acquire through nefarious means.

As of right now, I genuinely think it's the best overall OST in video games. It's just that freaking good.

Game Rip with lots of cues missing from the OST can be found on the squid-board.ru forums(spiritual successor to FFShrine).

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I enjoyed the interpretations of the old soundtrack in this one. The bombastic music with the set pieces made for an astounding experience. It's different enough to be it's own thing while still feeling like FF7 did.

Slyelessar

n00b
Overall I love the look and the sound. So much filler it would have a foot long sub dropping side missions and poor dialogue left right and centre! Then again, how else are they meant to milk it for cash and make several more games linked in with it?

I did enjoy the combat and about 70% of the game, so all good :)

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
The List price of the soundtrack on the SE website is $77.77, Wish I preordered way back when. I'm not complaining because at least they listed it on Itunes for half the price. Only difference is that a physical has extra tracks from the jukebox.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I enjoyed the interpretations of the old soundtrack in this one. The bombastic music with the set pieces made for an astounding experience. It's different enough to be it's own thing while still feeling like FF7 did.

My memory may not be super accurate here, but I was pleasantly surprised that "One-Winged Angel" was barely, if at all, altered in the final boss fight. It is indeed a great soundtrack, but that song is iconic for a reason.

A few random thoughts, having finally finished the main game:

-it's too long. Multiple chapters were heavily padded, some with decent content and some with utterly boring crap. Cut about 1/3 of the game and its pacing would be much better.

-really excellent voice acting. Barret looks and sort of talks like even more of a stereotype than before, but the actor sells it so incredibly well and still sounds so damn sincere that it works. Aerith's actress is also especially good, and Cloud's hits the necessary tone nicely. The VA did a lot to keep the game immersive.

-some of the enemies felt more like bad design than proper challenge. The flying enemies are just tedious since generally only Barret and Aerith can consistently hit them, the enemies with blades that spin around them are just aggravatingly stupid since the dumb Cloud AI just keeps getting murdered while you chip away with magic or Barret, and some of the others can interrupt your attacks far too easily.

-several of the boss fights are very damn good. Rude and Reno and both of the last two boss fights are excellent, and most of the others are at least decent.

-felt to me like materia weren't as important as they could have been. I generally just tried to have at least one of each spell available and didn't bother with linking and all that, and did fine.

Overall, I don't regret playing it, and I think having played the original when it came out helped me enjoy this one more (seeing the characters reinterpreted well, mostly). But it's a 6.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Tifa is really good anti air as well. Really, it's just Cloud that sucks.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Tifa is really good anti air as well. Really, it's just Cloud that sucks.
I agree. Cloud's punisher parry was clutch and satisfying to use (and nearly mandatory in the first Reno fight) but once you get the party materia it's a wrap. Tifa was hands down my best overall hitter

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Once I really learned the system I only used Cloud for a first attack since he had First Strike materia and could kill weaker enemies in one special move, then switched to Tifa or Barret to actually fight and issuing commands to Cloud. Tifa's damage potential is insane.