Final Fantasy 7 Remake : The Thread

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The combat in this game is exhilarating.

Played on NORMAL, it's quite intense and requires you to be mentally on point. Your timing and reflexes will be flat out tested and you need to be attuned to so many things at once. It's like driving 100 mph down a road when everyone else is going 50.

You have to constantly monitor health gauges, make key decisions between when to buff, when to debuff, when to heal, when to dish attacks, when to block and when to dodge and so forth. Analyzing enemies in this game is fucking key because if you don't exploit their weaknesses, you are in for some long ass fights. Even with Haste, which CAN be cast on the whole party at once but won't last as long that way, your ATB meter is a precious commodity and one has to have good judgement on when to go on the offensive and when to attack are crucial to success against the bosses in this game.

Some of these fights are an absolute rush, and each of the characters bring strengths and weaknesses to each encounter. I first thought Barrett and Aerith were kind of boring to play but once you are in the shit, you understand how vital it is to occasionally switch over to them for some long range DPS, to assess the battle as a whole and to distribute buffs and healing as necessary. Barrett, in particular, has a shit ton of health and if you enhance that with materia and gear that can equip a lot of them, he becomes a kind of 'healing tank' and spell caster for the party, and I believe that he is best as a support player. Cloud should be your 'middle of the road' guy, capable of being versatile as the situation demands. Tifa should be straight up damage, as she is an incredible DD with unbelievable speed and so many options for DPS that her support abilities should be kept to a minimum. For your frontliners, Chakra is a must because they should be self sustaining as much as possible. Pray is another good materia for the support characters to have, as it gives everyone some healing without expending valuable MP.

One thing my DMC brain had trouble adapting to was that this is NOT an action game. It has some action style gameplay, but if you think you can play this game and emerge from big fights unscathed, if that is what you're trying to do, you're playing it wrong. Characters in every FF game take damage. You can mitigate that, as with the turn based fare, by sometimes defending, sometimes evading and healing when necessary. That principle is no different in this game. Only this time, you're more responsible for how that all turns out. You CAN dodge Toad if you're paying attention. You CAN dodge Blizzard if you're paying attention. Or you can block it to take less damage. Damage is unavoidable in many cases but if you go in accepting that and just brace for it and react, as you would with any other entry in this series, you will do MUCH better than if you try to Kratos or Dante your way through it. Spamming dodge because you want that SSS rank is just going to keep you on the defensive, the health is going to keep reducing and you'll lose. This is a mindset that you must adopt; this is NOT a hack and slash game. It is a RPG with action elements. Even positioning plays a role. When one of your characters has a monster's attention, switching to another character and dishing damage from behind is a tactic that works. But if you stubbornly stick with one character rather than change on the fly as the situation demands, you will struggle.

I was wondering how one grinds in this game if they want to spend time leveling up and strengthening their materia and the two arenas (Wall Market and Shinra HQ) fulfill that function better than anything they did in the original version of the game. You get some pretty spiffy rewards for completing the fights the first time and you get great experience gains and can spend time learning weapon abilities here as well. The Shinra HQ arena, in particular, is useful for really learning how to get by without using items in fights, as the arenas prohibit item use but you get a partial health and MP refresh after every round of the 5 round encounters, which increase in challenge with successive victories. These arenas are not only providing grinding opportunities but they serve as tactical training on how to succeed without item use in this game. If you become attuned to how this game plays on NORMAL, you will find ways to get by while using only a minimal amount of consumable resources. You will still have to throw the occasional Ether or High Potion during a fight, but even those can be more effective if you have someone equipped with the materia that enhances the effects of these consumables.

I'm just going to say it. This game shits all over the original for engagement. Not just in the action but also in the events playing out and the mechanics involved. I have healthy respect for the original but can never claim I was a fan of it. I liked its ideas, its characters, its story. It is one of the most important video games of all time, and a lot of that is earned. But it's never been my favorite FF.

This one is now my favorite FF ever.

I haven't loved a game this much since The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This is the same tier.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Aerith's arcane ward is such a good ability: spells get cast twice, counts for all party members standing in it, combine it with Synergy and the same element materia on another character and cast it on enemies weak to that particular element, it's basically an instant stagger. You can do a lot of good shit with the right materia equipped (ATB boost, First Strike, Deadly Dodge, Synergy etc.)

Basically just give Aerith all the magic related materia and gear and she's probably going to put out the most damage of them all in return for being kinda squishy.

I'm at the Sector 7 pillar right now, so a bit more than half through I guess.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Finished it last night at about 3 A.M. The game reaches a phase where it's very difficult to put it down because there is no real natural stopping point.

The decision to essentially make Shinra HQ another zone in the game that you can spend time in is a very intriguing one. But given what follows, it's good they give you some places to work on your builds.

What happens after leaving Shinra HQ is absolutely deranged. I won't spoil it except to say that it went off the rails, as many Final Fantasy games tend to in their climactic sequences, and I'd add that it reeks a little bit of creative desperation. In short, I felt, the post Midgar fights were entirely unnecessary and, if 'that' was what they were going for, I felt it was a poor creative decision, although mind blowing to look at and an adrenaline high to play through. I don't feel it's up to par with the narrative excellence of veritably EVERYTHING that came before it and, unfortunately, it mars the experience as a whole for me. Overall, this game supplants Final Fantasy IV as the best FF of all time but the finale feels like it belongs in another entry further down the line in this series.

The 'ghosts', we'll call them to keep their true purpose secret for spoiler reasons, were exactly what I thought they were when I first saw them, and confirmed my suspicions that this game was going to be so much more than a simple 'remake' of Final Fantasy VII. It's a remake, a prequel and a sequel all at once and people that have finished the game and grasp the real story taking place here will understand what I mean by that. Every time the 'ghosts' showed up, it was fucking with my memory of the original game's events in such a way where I understood what was happening here. Rian Johnson should take note of this game's achievement the next time that miserable hack wants to 'subvert expectations' with a beloved franchise, because it can be done without disrespecting the original version's concepts. Even after feeling a little crestfallen at how I felt SE was premature with the game's closing act's reveals, I can confidently say that this was an attempt to expand the lore of Final Fantasy VII and not deconstruct it and then turn it into something unrecognizable. Nomura wasn't trolling the long time fans with these new additions to the mythology. This is an earnest effort to expand the ideas of Final Fantasy VII. I'm willing to stay on board for that.

One note about Cloud:

I've seen so many people over the years bemoan his androgynous design, his frail built, his general disinterest in events early on, as some kind of creative misstep. Because Cloud didn't absolutely love what he was doing, because he was so dour and stoic, people said he was 'edgy'. Some people even blame the direction of the series on Cloud's popularity with younger audiences, who spend money on these things, and especially girls.

Square Enix clearly has never thought of the character in this light, and neither have I. The same way that I never had a problem with Raiden in Metal Gear Solid (and it never bothered me that you didn't play as Snake in MGS 2, by the by), I always thought Cloud was the strongest character in an already strong roster of characters. This game emphatically declares that Cloud Strife is a bad motherfucker ninja slayer daredevil that is absolutely fearless. The badass shit he does in this game cements him as gritty, practical, laconic and even grim. He almost always has the last word in any meaningful conversation and he's actually quite funny. He comes off as an experienced veteran (despite his age) with a ton of real world trials that contrast with his youth. SE went out of their way to make sure you respected Cloud the same way Kojima wanted audiences to respect Raiden with his reinvention in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Last thing for this entry. A couple of tidbits.

I read a comment on a really good review somewhere that said FInal Fantasy VII has been reforged as a series and not just as a single game. In order to get over your own biases regarding this game, you have to adopt this way of thinking. Once you adjust your perspective and see it for what it is, you'll be able to open your mind up to the majesty. This is not to say that this game will suddenly vault to the top of your 'best evar' list if you do this. Even after 'getting over yourself', we'll call it (and I've had to do this for game series myself a number of times), you still may find the game is not your cup of tea. But I firmly believe more people than not will, upon accepting SE's strategy and grand vision as a premise, embrace Final Fantasy VII Remake.

I read another article about how Final Fantasy VII Remakewas a successful version of what they envisioned when they began their ambitios 'Fabula Nova Crystalis' saga with Final Fantasy XIII. It was supposed to be a ten year series of releases under the FF XIII umbrella. You can absolutely see the DNA of FF XIII in FF VII Remake, and it's clear that XIII's failure has bothered them so much that they have continually worked to find ways to make the action based gameplay something to be proud of. The whole time I was playing FF XIII, it's more satisfying sequel and it's absolutely terrible third entry, I was thinking 'all of this is so half baked.' 'All eyes and no sight', to quote Shakespeare. But now, years after the fact, SE has figured out what XIII's problems were in terms of mechanics and fixed them. It also greatly helps that we, as an audience, are familiar with Final Fantasy VII and SE wisely pushed the nostalgia button as hard as they could as many times as they could in an effort to show us that they remembered why that game was so special to so many people. I agree with the sentiment that Final Fantasy XIII ended up being useful to SE with the development cycle of Final Fantasy VII Remake. Studying the failed XIII model helped them avoid making the same mistakes all over again.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I started this a few nights ago and I couldn't put it down. I was never able to get into FF7. I tried 3 times, once at each decade, and never got past the first disc. I just didn't like any of the characters and the story is meh. That was why I contemplated returning my preorder of this. Glad I didn't because this game expanded on everything, Cloud is so much more developed (still not a fan of his kpop boyband look but whatever), along with every other characters. The graphics is absolutely breathtaking, I wish I have more nostalgia toward the original.

And the combat, it is so much fun. It is like managing chaos, you really have to pay attention to everyone and try to exploit weaknesses to your advantage. I am still learning about all the system (totally forgot to upgrade my weapon until chapter 4, lol). New games typically don't hold my attention but this one is captivating me. I apologize to Taiso for lol at the the idea that this is the ultimate JRPG. While I don't know if I feel the same way but I can definitely see why he would.

Marek

Banned
I started this a few nights ago and I couldn't put it down. I was never able to get into FF7. I tried 3 times, once at each decade, and never got past the first disc. I just didn't like any of the characters and the story is meh. That was why I contemplated returning my preorder of this. Glad I didn't because this game expanded on everything, Cloud is so much more developed (still not a fan of his kpop boyband look but whatever), along with every other characters. The graphics is absolutely breathtaking, I wish I have more nostalgia toward the original.

And the combat, it is so much fun. It is like managing chaos, you really have to pay attention to everyone and try to exploit weaknesses to your advantage. I am still learning about all the system (totally forgot to upgrade my weapon until chapter 4, lol). New games typically don't hold my attention but this one is captivating me. I apologize to Taiso for lol at the the idea that this is the ultimate JRPG. While I don't know if I feel the same way but I can definitely see why he would.

Interesting stuff. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I do think you missed out on the original if only because you say the story is meh. Midgar is my least favorite part of the original and the story doesnt really start coming together until you leave, I.e. second disc.

The story is fucking cool. In fact I like it so much that its kind of ruined the genre to me, hence my excitement for the remake.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Keep in kind that I never said this WAS the 'ultimate JRPG', only that if it held up through the end of play, it COULD be.

Also, when I said 'ultimate JRPG', I said that was 'for better or for worse'. By 'ultimate', I meant it in a fashion that suggested an 'ultimate' would have all the best AND worst parts of a JRPG cranked to 11. Not only the fun stuff, but also the tedious stuff.

Having finished the game, I'm not calling this thr 'ultimate JRPG'. I'm just calling it 'the best JRPG' ever made, because it is.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm just blah on the fact that it's midgar, the one part of the game I never liked. Ever. Maybe I will jump in at part 2.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Just jump in. Midgar damaged my ability to appreciate the first one and it never really recovered

This game is good shit. You can't compare this game to the original as a useful metric for engagement.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Very informative thread. I might go back to this game again. I stopped playing it after blowing up the reactor. The graphics look really good. I didn't like the dialogue. Most of all, I didn't like the battle system. That's not an indictment on the game. I think I've just changed. I used to love RPGs. Did several playthroughs of the original FF7. I thought if there was an RPG to get me interested in the genre again this would be it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
This is all well and good, but how are the Tifa Lockhart bouncing breasts physics?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Just jump in. Midgar damaged my ability to appreciate the first one and it never really recovered

This game is good shit. You can't compare this game to the original as a useful metric for engagement.

This. Midgar is a far, far more interesting place in Remake than the original game.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
From a guy who was extremely skeptical about a FF7 remake (let alone one divided into episodic parts) and whose least favourite part of the oiginal is Midgar: Play the god damned game now during quarantine.

I will make a detailed post later including my initial concerns, how this remake handled them, and what I liked and didn't like.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This is all well and good, but how are the Tifa Lockhart bouncing breasts physics?

I didn't notice any bounce and because I'm still a 14 year old boy at heart, I tried when I could control her on the screen. Guess that black athletic top under her shirt really DID hold them down.

During the Wall Market sequence, there is a part where Tifa and Aerith beat the shit out of Dob Corneo's men. In my playthrough, she was wearing a purple dress with generous cleavage and I noticed that when she moved around, the physics were there but it was only cutscene and close ups. At one point she moved her arms in such a way that they pushed together and when she spread her arms apart they moved back to their natural position.

I also noticed that her white top was stretched in all the places you'd expect from someone of her bust size.

The devs seem to be in love with Tifa's boobs, just like many of her fans.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This game turned me into an Aerith man now. Tits aren't everything.

btw: any reason they changed Tifa's blue dress seen in the preview to the japanese getup?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

btw: any reason they changed Tifa's blue dress seen in the preview to the japanese getup?

Spoiler:

When you finish all side quests in sector 7, and meet Tifa, your dressing type choice affects what she wears later. Aerith and Cloud also have 3 dresses each, but the criteria for each one differs. Aerith is based on how many side quests you finish, Cloud is based on the story choices you make during Chapter 9.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Thanks, good to know.

Spoiler:

It was red dress Aerith, japanese getup Tifa and corset wearing Cloud for me

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member

Really? Let's say I would not care if she dies this time.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Still Tifa all day every day.

Although as a character, I like Aerith a whole lot more now than I ever have.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yuffie should do us all a solid and sacrifice herself in Aerith's place this time.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Remake spoilers:

Spoiler:

I feel they are hinting at changing something about Aerith's death. Cloud could briefly see it beforehand in one of those visions, and Marlene sensed something when she met her.

I read that in the original game, Aerith was supposed to be revived, so I'm guessing they are going with that in the remake.

Marek

Banned
Remake spoilers:

Spoiler:

I feel they are hinting at changing something about Aerith's death. Cloud could briefly see it beforehand in one of those visions, and Marlene sensed something when she met her.

I read that in the original game, Aerith was supposed to be revived, so I'm guessing they are going with that in the remake.

Spoiler:
Yeah they definitely showed her death scene in multiple parts as they were heavily intimating that the timeline was in the process of changing