Final Fantasy 7 Remake : The Thread

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yes, I did. I loved SNES/Genny RPGs in the 90s and Square was the master of turn based RPGs so yeah, I quite literally played it for the gameplay as well as the story. The Street Racer II analogy is valid. Suck it up.

LOL

You loved waiting for a turn meter to go up so you could choose which ability to use?

Turn based RPGs don't have 'gameplay'. You tell the game what to do and it plays for you.

Silly argument.

How do I know I won't feel like I experienced the full game?

Because I experienced the full game in 1997 and playing the first 30 mins won't be it. Not sure how you logic'd that one out Nimoy.

Except this isn't the 'first thirty minutes' of Final Fantasy VII. It's the first 40 hours of Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's not even the same game. It's a completely new experience based on the original game. Hence Remake.

So no, you haven't played it. You've only played the game it's based on.

Highly illogical.

The point is, this is not going to feel like the original game. Story will (eventually) be there, but the gameplay won't be. I don't really care if you're convinced or not. Maybe when they release the other 27 parts I'll pirate it.

Or I could just play god of war now.

Of course it's not going to feel like the original game. If you want that, you'd just 'play' the original game.

You don't even know how many parts it's going to be. You're basing that on nothing factual. Have they announced that? Have they stated their future intentions? Do you have an inside line to Tetsuya Nomura's journal? How do you know the second part won't be more open world? How do you know it won't be more discs to advance the story further?

You don't. You don't know anything about where it goes from here. Nobody does.

But refusing to play this just because 'it's not like the original' is just more internet clone bullshit. Your argument stems from emotional arrested development and nothing rational.

But that's cool. Just continue to cling to a silly opinion and die on that hill.

At least the rest of us can take Ratson's criticisms seriously. He played through it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
LOL

You loved waiting for a turn meter to go up so you could choose which ability to use?

Turn based RPGs don't have 'gameplay'. You tell the game what to do and it plays for you.

Silly argument.

Except this isn't the 'first thirty minutes' of Final Fantasy VII. It's the first 40 hours of Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's not even the same game. It's a completely new experience based on the original game. Hence Remake.

So no, you haven't played it. You've only played the game it's based on.

Highly illogical.

Of course it's not going to feel like the original game. If you want that, you'd just 'play' the original game.

You don't even know how many parts it's going to be. You're basing that on nothing factual. Have they announced that? Have they stated their future intentions? Do you have an inside line to Tetsuya Nomura's journal? How do you know the second part won't be more open world? How do you know it won't be more discs to advance the story further?

You don't. You don't know anything about where it goes from here. Nobody does.

But refusing to play this just because 'it's not like the original' is just more internet clone bullshit. Your argument stems from emotional arrested development and nothing rational.

But that's cool. Just continue to cling to a silly opinion and die on that hill.

At least the rest of us can take Ratson's criticisms seriously. He played through it.
Lol someone's a little too butthurt about another's opinion about a game dude.

Calm down. Play some old school RPGs. You should try Final Fantasy VII.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I definitely had a lot of fun playing it but personally wanted a bit more story and less side quests.
The battles on normal can take quite long indeed and you can't just bash your way through them.
Now a little fanboy talk:
It was a feast of recognition and I personally liked some of the voice acting. Also like that they go deeper into the midgar characters of the original.
Environment is well done and graphics are great to me.
Guess it felt short cause I really want to see how the rest will play out.
The internet is filled with whining cloneboys copying eachothers opinions.
The game is definitely good. And yes if you want to experience the original, go play that one.
I believe they made a sort of new version in wich you can speed things up.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Lol someone's a little too butthurt about another's opinion about a game dude.

Calm down. Play some old school RPGs. You should try Final Fantasy VII.

Nice deflection but maybe you should take your own advice. You're the one whinging on about how you refuse to play a game because it violates the principles of your emotionally arrested RPG sensibilities.

At least God of War actually HAS gameplay. I hope you didn't pirate it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Nice deflection but maybe you should take your own advice. You're the one whinging on about how you refuse to play a game because it violates the principles of your emotionally arrested RPG sensibilities.

At least God of War actually HAS gameplay. I hope you didn't pirate it.

Ironic. Whinging means to complain persistently. Lookin back at my responses, they're rather short - yours seem to be a liiiitttttle bit longer with the butthurtness. I think in your vitriolic rambling you missed where I said I played the demo, so yes, I have tried the gameplay.

Wasn't for me. Calm your tits.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Ironic. Whinging means to complain persistently. Lookin back at my responses, they're rather short - yours seem to be a liiiitttttle bit longer with the butthurtness. I think in your vitriolic rambling you missed where I said I played the demo, so yes, I have tried the gameplay.

Wasn't for me. Calm your tits.

If you'd have just said 'wasn't for me' from the start, I wouldn't be making your arguments look stupid.

Instead, you were holding on to your Tifa plush from 1997 and complained about all the same dumbass shit the fanboys have been grousing about forever.

So don't try to act like it wasn't bothering you that SE didn't want to give you EXACTLY the game you thought it 'should be'. Because that's EXACTLY how you feel and now you want to be the 'cool guy' in this conversation because you're embarrassed.

But really.

Show us all how cool you are by just going back to God of War.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If you'd have just said 'wasn't for me' from the start, I wouldn't be making your arguments look stupid.

Instead, you were holding on to your Tifa plush from 1997 and complained about all the same dumbass shit the fanboys have been grousing about forever.

So don't try to act like it wasn't bothering you that SE didn't want to give you EXACTLY the game you thought it 'should be'. Because that's EXACTLY how you feel and now you want to be the 'cool guy' in this conversation because you're embarrassed.

But really.

Show us all how cool you are by just going back to God of War.

I dunno if I'm in the minority, but I played the demo and was sorely disappointed. Of *course* I chose the classic play style and it turned out.. to be... exactly... like the new style. They turned FFVII into God of War? What? That coupled with it being released in pieces, which will undoubtedly each be $60 each, can't play as Red XIII - and the first game is basically Midgar, the opening. I'd love to be wrong, but this one is SUPER low priority for me.

Taiso, would you like me to get you a subscription to LeapFrog? I'm concerned.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Don't care about content change. I'm aware of the premise on this version and it's ok I guess. I just don't like that they changed up the play style. You gonna play Street Fighter II HD Remake II Dash if it plays like a racing game? Why would you want to?

I dunno man, seems pretty fucking stupid to start the above statement with "I don't care about content change" and then compare the change to a fighting game that plays like a racing game.

Taiso has a point. You said some pretty stupid shit after you said "game wasn't for me."

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
How do I know I won't feel like I experienced the full game?

Because I experienced the full game in 1997 and playing the first 30 mins won't be it.

The point is, this is not going to feel like the original game. Story will (eventually) be there, but the gameplay won't be.

I am good, but you might want to look into thinking for yourself.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Last edited:

Marek

Banned
I agree with everything wes said.

Also calling this God of War gameplay without playing it is pure lol

The gameplay is super customizable. You can build any of the characters to be tanks, battlemages, healers. The weapon skills amd upgrades are awesome.

Linked materia slots are less of a big deal than in the original, but still. You have an enormous amount of personal style in your gameplay.

Nail Bat for fucking life.

Marek

Banned
Also hornheadd likes easy games

He got so mad at sekiro that he rage quit twice.

Marek

Banned
Ok I have fiendishly played through the majority of the game (I'm finishing up side quests before I go to Shinra HQ) and here are my observations. Bear in mind that I haven't played a JRPG in at least a decade and frankly can't call myself a fan of the modern genre. I'm in it for FF7 because its clearly on the of best games ever made irrespective of genre.

tl:dr - I'll get this out of the way right now. If you love the old game you will absolutely enjoy this reboot. The visuals of Midgar, looking up at the plate and the entire area, are absolutely majestic. Just seeing your favorite locations done by a thoughtful team with modern tech is worth the price of admission.

_Gameplay_

The combat is fantastic. Materia is still integral, though linking is less emphasized. Instead they have made upgrading weapons via a sphere grid a much more critical part of your gameplay. Some weapons are specifically for casting, ranged, or melee. This means you can make Barret an in your face tanking juggernaut, a strafing ranged battlemage, or a combination of anything really. Combat on normal difficulty is challenging and its obvious that Square was heavily inspired by Fromsoft. The posture meter from Sekiro is here, the roll dodging side attacks of Soulsbourne are here. Combat is deep, strategic, and satisfying. No complaints at all except that you have to earn action points to use items and cast spells, so strategy is far different than any other RPG I've ever played. Beyond that, it's a Final Fantasy game. Goofy side quests, hidden chests, etc. It all feels very normal and expected.

_Graphics_

Its fucking beautiful. Honestly this game is so amazing in the visual department I really lack words to describe it. Viewing video games as an art form is something we can all agree on. Neo Geo cemented that for me in the 90s. The Neo was pushing the existing technology to carry the most beautiful art and animation that 16 bit would allow. This game is doing the exact same thing.

_Voice Acting_

Astonishingly good. All the voices sound right on with what I always imagined they would be. The localization is waaaayyyyy better than what I have come to expect, but sometimes its goofy. They use a lot of modern American slang and casual swearing, but all in all its worlds better than localization jobs I've come to expect.

_Music_

So good. A mix of old and new. They re use some classics that you want to hear, but include a bunch of new hype battle tunes and other cool stuff. The entire score of the original game is included as a collection mini game which you can put on at various jukeboxes. Some have been hilariously remixed I.e. hip hop chocobo theme. It slaps so hard its hilarious.

_Plot_

So far the plot changes don't bother me in the slightest. Everything is done for a reason, though the anti-corporate/fascist rhetoric is a little more in your face, but I feel like that's to be expected given that we're exploring the full story of AVALANCHE. Also, seeing a lot of these characters more fully realized and not just weird blocky blob looking things does wonders for the plot itself. The Don in Wall Market leaps to mind. Sometimes the Japanese tropes are a little lost on me, but now you can really see what they meant and it all makes sense. The 80s/90s crazy Japanese gangster haircuts and whole Fist Of the North Star styling are in full effect and its absolutely great.

_Weeb Factor_

Obviously the original was pretty weebish, but this reboot does crank it up a notch especially in certain parts. I was expecting this because JRPGs have gotten much gayer over the years, at least to me as an outside observer. Overall its not that bad, but there is one part in the initial Wall Market portion that had me dying laughing because its just pure weeb cringe. You just have to endure your self shaming, that you did in fact pay money for this experience. The other thing is that the whole "all the ladies love Cloud" bit is much more in your face and there are more relationship questions than before. Yeah its cringy... but let it be known that my Cloud is banging Tifa for damn sure. Yolo.

_Negatives_

First off they have color coded chests so if you catch a glimpse of one that requires some puzzle to get to, you'll known roughly how important the loot is. I hate that. In the original sometimes you'd get a ribbon, sometimes you'd get a hi potion for your effort. You never knew and I liked that.

Also if you forget some important loot in a certain section you can't return to, once in a while a party member will speak to you and say something like "Hey I thought you had your eye on some material back there. Do you want to go back for it?" I also hate this. So fucking what, I forgot something. I never got every item on any RPG and theres a sense of accomplishment about finding something you missed before on a subsequent play through. Annoying.

Overall I'd say that this three part game will be one of the coolest things that ever happened in the world of video games. My prediction is that the second game will embrace the exploration aspect that made me truly fall in love with the original and find a way to carefully include all the landmarks and plot devices of the original. I think it will also be much longer as there is a big open world to fuck around in. I have no qualms with the length of this one at all. They did a really beautiful cinematic experience of the formative adventure from the first game and fleshed it all out brilliantly.

You should all play it. Its pretty fucking cool and I'm not even at the best part yet.

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I have nothing to add to that.
Well said, poppy.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Good review by Poppy and added value from Ratson.

Starting to get into this now.

The demo does not even BEGIN to provide a fair assessment of what this game has to offer.

Just in terms of customization and character progression, the promise it shows is really encouraging.

Another thing I'm noticing is that the game offers great initial pathing. What I mean is that they don't overwhelm you with all of the tools at once and gradually introduce them. The weapon sphere grid is interesting definitely allows players to do whatever build best suits their play style.

Visually, this game is remarkable. There have been a lot of great looking console games this late into the 8th cycle but this game is succeeding at re-invigorating the way we visualize this world we've had in our collective consciousness for over 20 years. It almost feels like SE is finally able to give us the world the art team has seen in their minds for 2 decades. Yes, the original did the job well enough but this feels like a bunch of grown ups on a passion project to take all their toys out of the box and rebuild them the way their young minds imagined them when they played with them as children.

So far, I'm impressed. If it holds up, is a definite GOTY candidate. Unless Hideo Kojima makes a mobile game because then, we know who the Dorito King will give it to!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I played the demo and I'm interested. I'm a little discouraged that it's going to be episodic :(

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I played the demo and I'm interested. I'm a little discouraged that it's going to be episodic :(

Same here. I ended up canceling my pre order. I’m sure in a year it’ll be cheap or there will eventually be a PS5 complete edition.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Kinda what I was thinking. I wanted RE3 more anyway.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Wiki says it has timed exclusivity for one year so I guess I’ll play this next year on the Xbox?

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I still have the memory card with my save game from the original from 1997.

I still need to beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I think the only difference in gameplay is that the remake actually has gameplay. It's been years since I've played the original, but I remember just sitting there while certain summons did everything for you. One of them even lasted over a minute, if I recall. That's the gameplay you feel is missing? lmao

The most tedious thing I remember was breeding chocobos so I could get the Knights of the Round (Table) summon... that punished you for using it by taking like 5 mins for the animation to play out each time.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Wiki says it has timed exclusivity for one year so I guess I’ll play this next year on the Xbox?

Most likely yes, though it may end up on Series X, not One.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
About 5 hours in and I am LOVING this game.

Like SG said, I can just walk around the town listening to the conversations.

The gameplay on Normal can be quite challenging at times and you're almost better off saving your special attacks for when you induce a Stagger on the enemy because if you go in button mashing, and spamming ATB abilities the monsters will punish you.

There is this character Chadley that is pure weeb tripe-the nerd that studies combat and analyzes monster data. You get some decent rewards for completing his quests.

In fact, this game's quest structure is compelling enough that I really want to do them all.

So far, the only thing I don't like about the quests is that the quest giving mechanic feels borrowed from Western RPGs but poorly implemented. I half expect the Bethesda zoom when I talk to them. But at least you have Tifa with to to add dialogue and further develop their character dynamics. Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns was a bad game and the quest gives were so uninspired that they were the worst part of it

At least FF VII Remake is mostly pretty great so the occasional minor flaw is easily forgivable.

Last edited:

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
This is honestly the first modern RPG I've ever attempted to play and overall its pretty solid so far. They did a pretty good job at staying true to the source material and modernizing it enough to work today. I'm not sure how I feel though about having to wait to play the rest of the game but seeing the Midgar portion of the game more fleshed out is cool since it was the most memorable part of the original game.