Fighters Swords / Samsho 3

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Hey guys,

Quick question: Will a Korean "Fighters Swords" cart show the "Samurai Shodown 3" title screen when booted in Japanese region mode?

Also, will a Japanese "Samurai Shodown 3" cart show the "Fighters Swords" title screen if booted in Korean region mode?

Just snagged a Fighters Swords cart off of eBay for dirt cheap, but I'd recently put in an offer for a SS3 cart on another forum so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth having both.

Thanks!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
was it really cheap?

you can get korean region without its bios? my unibios is old (2.3)? I think the korean stuff is stuff you're stuck with regardless of bios....isn't it? and I think you can't get the 'korean stuff' from normal carts. is there even a korea bios?

I want to know too. I asked about this in someone elses last blade wtb recently and someone put up a link to the wiki, but it really doesn't seem 'fleshed out'.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I usually put the hit-fix detection rom on the korean carts because they have eproms for p1 more often that not. It's a little more work since you need to desolder 4 eproms but at least nothing gets discarded.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
is the playstation port more like hit fixed or not?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I just found this in another thread,

Even Fighters Swords (Korean Samurai Shodown III) is just made up of P rom swaps (if you check mame's rom data, you can see for yourself :) )
\o_

Still not sure if changing region between US / EU / JP would restore the original title screen. Will try it out tonight though and let you guys know.

If it turns out that the title screen is stuck as "Fighters Swords" regardless of region, I may swap out the P roms for hit fixed SS3 eproms.

was it really cheap?
Yeah $10.50 shipped

Last edited:

leftypem

n00b
I just got a copy of this too, and AFAIK its locked into Fighters Swords title screen. At least its not as severe as Last Soldier 2 or SS4. Those got the big censorship axe job.

Sorry if its been discussed, but what is the hit fix? I never knew there was a bugfix for SS3, but I am highly interested! My cart was also really cheap, so I wouldn't be averse to socketing it and having a version with hitbox updates available.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I just got a copy of this too, and AFAIK its locked into Fighters Swords title screen. At least its not as severe as Last Soldier 2 or SS4. Those got the big censorship axe job.

Sorry if its been discussed, but what is the hit fix? I never knew there was a bugfix for SS3, but I am highly interested! My cart was also really cheap, so I wouldn't be averse to socketing it and having a version with hitbox updates available.

Thanks for the info on it being locked to the "fighters swords" title screen.

Here's a thread on the hit box fix. Smkdan has links to the Roms on that page:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?243622-The-samurai-shodown-3-hitbox-fix

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I noticed that the only eproms on the progss3 board are ep1-4 but the zip file provided by smkdan also has a binary for p5. Would it be necessary to swap the maskrom for p5 with an EPROM written with the binary from smkdan's zip, or just rewrite ep1-4? (those are already eproms).

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Hey guys,

Quick question: Will a Korean "Fighters Swords" cart show the "Samurai Shodown 3" title screen when booted in Japanese region mode?

Also, will a Japanese "Samurai Shodown 3" cart show the "Fighters Swords" title screen if booted in Korean region mode?

Just snagged a Fighters Swords cart off of eBay for dirt cheap, but I'd recently put in an offer for a SS3 cart on another forum so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth having both.

Thanks!
Why would you want the Korean version of games like Samurai Shodown? They have different ROMs to the Japanese versions.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Why would you want the Korean version of games like Samurai Shodown? They have different ROMS to the Japanese versions.

Why not? They are just "repaired" JP carts converted by snk for Korean release. They can be repaired back to the original JP Roms and I won't feel bad about doing the hit box fix as shadowkn55 suggested.

leftypem

n00b
They aren't repaired carts, but were built specifically for the Korean market. They have bespoke labels (some even bearing a "Made in Korea" mark,) and in-house custom title graphics and programming. Its not as if they were simply hack jobs. They were made to fill a specific segment of the market. And now they're nice and cheap for my collection :mr_t: But, really, if I can get the uncensored versions for even $15 more, that's where my money is going. Life is too short to play games with dummied features!