FF 1&2 anime finally coming to Japanese R-2 DVD on 11/27/03

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
At long last, "Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu" (U.S. title = Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf) and "Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu 2" (U.S. title = Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle) will be released in Japan on Region-2 DVD on 11/27/03. Both of these anime were originally aired as TV specials in 1992, then released on VHS and LaserDisc -- this marks the first release of these 2 anime on Japanese DVD. Here's the specifics:

Title: Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu 1&2
Item #: KIBA-954
Price: 7140 yen
On Sale: 11/27/2003
Run. Time: 119 mins.
Languages: Japanese only
Subtitles: none
# of discs: 1, dual-layered, region 2
Case: Tallsize (Keepcase)

The front cover features what appears to be an all-new illustration by Oobari Masami:

KIBA-954.gif

--Chris

Marco's Arms Dealer

Ukyo's Doctor
*seen two dvd sales up from Chris* I wonder if his side burns are going to burst into flame if another deal he likes shows up....I best get the gasoline.*goes to get it*

Fixing a B deck,
M-A-D:loco:

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Hey Chris, can I ask you a semi-off topic question?
Do you know any websites that review multi reigon DVD players?
I know a few of the different cheaper players that do all reigon, I was just wondering which were the best.
I've been using my normal DVD player for R1 and my Japanese PS2 for the R2.. So I have nothing that plays other reigon codes.
I also need something that plays good PAL so I can get my fill of Penelope Cruz's foreign films. :D

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Dash no Chris, is there anything special to this disc set beyond the basic episodes? I was just curious since they are already available in the US (unless I am misunderstanding something). Are there special bits on this, other than the new Obari cover?

BTW, what ever happened to Obari? He seemed to be all the rage when these episodes/movies were coming out, then I never heard about him again. Yes, I know about the whole Gowcaizer thing. Has he done anything recently? I kinda dig his art style.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Ron McRae said:
Hey Chris, can I ask you a semi-off topic question?
Do you know any websites that review multi reigon DVD players?
I know a few of the different cheaper players that do all reigon, I was just wondering which were the best.
I've been using my normal DVD player for R1 and my Japanese PS2 for the R2.. So I have nothing that plays other reigon codes.
I also need something that plays good PAL so I can get my fill of Penelope Cruz's foreign films. :D
Here's my fave site for this sort of thing: www.nerd-out.com. This website started out as an unofficial support site for users of the APEX AD-600A DVD player (the original versions of this player had a hidden debug menu that you could access via the remote control to change the region setting, disable macrovision, etc.). Since then, it's expanded to include dozens of different APEX models, as well as other brands. If you click "Message Forums," you'll find a good number of forums dedicated to various brands and models of players that are either Region-free, or can be hacked or modded to be Region-free.

Another good site to check for player reviews is www.animeondvd.com.

As far as a Region-free model that will also play PAL, the APEX AD-1500 that I'm using does both.
RyoGeo said:
Dash no Chris, is there anything special to this disc set beyond the basic episodes? I was just curious since they are already available in the US (unless I am misunderstanding something). Are there special bits on this, other than the new Obari cover?

BTW, what ever happened to Obari? He seemed to be all the rage when these episodes/movies were coming out, then I never heard about him again. Yes, I know about the whole Gowcaizer thing. Has he done anything recently? I kinda dig his art style.
Unfortunately, I've seen nothing so far to indicate that this DVD will have any features not previously found on the Japanese VHS/LD releases.

In addition to character designs on FF1&2, Oobari character-designed and directed FF The Movie and Gowcaizer, and directed the Toshinden anime series. He worked as an animator for years, on such mid-80s classics as Tatakae! Iczer-1 and Bubblegum Crisis. In the 90s, he founded his own studio, Studio G-1 (currently known as Studio G-1 NEO), and produced a variety of mecha-oriented action anime: VIRUS -Virus Buster Serge-, Den'nou Sentai Voogie's Angel, Dangaizer 3. His most recent TV series was Choujuushin Gravion (with a sequel, Choujuushin Gravion Zwei, in the works). Meanwhile, he's also been working on a number of hentai anime series: Angel Blade (3 eps in the first story arc; hopefully another arc on the way), Sore yuke Marine-chan (another 3 eps that leave room for a sequel), and VIPER -GTS- (3 eps; 3rd vol. just came out -- haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so I can't comment on whether it concludes the series or leads it into a sequel).

--Chris

RyoGeo

Ah, he seems like a shoe in for hentai stuff. Are the new hentai series any good? Usually hentai stuff is stiffly animated, uses lots of what I call "hump loops" (where the same 10 frames are repeated over and over . . . for obvious reasons) and the stories kind of . . . suck . . . and not in the good way. In other words, both the sex scenes and the narrative are complete crap which = why even watch.

Are these any different?

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
RyoGeo said:
Ah, he seems like a shoe in for hentai stuff. Are the new hentai series any good? Usually hentai stuff is stiffly animated, uses lots of what I call "hump loops" (where the same 10 frames are repeated over and over . . . for obvious reasons) and the stories kind of . . . suck . . . and not in the good way. In other words, both the sex scenes and the narrative are complete crap which = why even watch.

Are these any different?
I liked Angel Blade the best. The over-the-top-ness of the series' sexual content is so tongue-in-cheek as to be almost a parody of hentai. A friend and I couldn't stop laughing the entire first episode. Completely entertaining. Also the best of the 3 series for Oobari fans, as so many of the characters are homages to characters Oobari either designed or just really likes. Angel Blade herself is something of an amalgamation of Nagai Gou's characters, Kekko Kamen and Cutey Honey (and she's named for a weapon from Oobari's series, Voogie's Angel). The seldom-seen female leader of the series' villainous organization reminds me just a little of Cutey Honey's Panther Zora. Her lead henchwench is named Nailcaizer (sp? Nailkaiser?), and her design is like a combination of the Vampire series' Morrigan Aensland and Gowcaizer's Necrocaizer (character from the Gowcaizer drama CDs and Gowcaizer: International Edition [aka Gowcaizer The Movie]) -- only sometimes she has extra... bits.:glee: The designs of the other 2 henchwenches remind me of certain aspects of various Nagai Gou sub-villains from his 70s manga and anime (one of them makes me think of Mazinger Z's Brocken, for example). There are 2 female police officers who also become costumed heroines -- the first is like a combination of Garou Densetsu's Shiranui Mai and Yokoyama Mitsuteru's Kamen no Ninja Akakage, while the second is an homage to Gowcaizer's Shaia. One other female (who appears to be connected with the villanous organization) is an homage to Gowcaizer's Karin (hurray for more female Monkey King characters!:D ). Character designs for Angel Blade were handled by Uno Makoto, character designer for Love Hina -- and it shows in the design of the series' high school idol (she bears a resemblance to Love Hina's Narusegawa Naru). Uno Makoto also did character designs for Oobari's robot series, Choujuushin Gravion (and it appears he'll be returning for Choujuushin Gravion Zwei). His most recent work can be seen in the character designs for Uchuu no Stellvia.

Sore yuke Marine-chan was just about as funny, but less for the bizarre sexuality and more for the comedy aspect of the story. I was particularly entertained by Yao Kazuki's role as the lead male in episode 2 -- I've been a fan of his work for years now (he was Da Cider in all of the "Lamune & 40" series, as well as Judeau Ashita in Kidou Senshi Gundam ZZ) and I thought it was absolutely hysterical to have him doing work in a hentai production.

VIPER -GTS- was an enjoyable watch, too, but with less emphasis on comedy than the other 2 series.

I don't recall excessive use of "hump loops" (a phrase I'll be using liberally from now on, if that's alright:smirk: ), in any of the series. Overall, if hentai's your thing, I think these are worth your time.

I can provide links to each series' official site once I get home from work, if you'd like to see some character images. Would posting the links in this thread be inappropriate (i.e., should I just PM them to you?)?

--Chris

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:
I liked Angel Blade the best. The over-the-top-ness of the series' sexual content is so tongue-in-cheek as to be almost a parody of hentai. A friend and I couldn't stop laughing the entire first episode. Completely entertaining. Also the best of the 3 series for Oobari fans, as so many of the characters are homages to characters Oobari either designed or just really likes. Angel Blade herself is something of an amalgamation of Nagai Gou's characters, Kekko Kamen and Cutey Honey (and she's named for a weapon from Oobari's series, Voogie's Angel). The seldom-seen female leader of the series' villainous organization reminds me just a little of Cutey Honey's Panther Zora. Her lead henchwench is named Nailcaizer (sp? Nailkaiser?), and her design is like a combination of the Vampire series' Morrigan Aensland and Gowcaizer's Necrocaizer (character from the Gowcaizer drama CDs and Gowcaizer: International Edition [aka Gowcaizer The Movie]) -- only sometimes she has extra... bits.:glee: The designs of the other 2 henchwenches remind me of certain aspects of various Nagai Gou sub-villains from his 70s manga and anime (one of them makes me think of Mazinger Z's Brocken, for example). There are 2 female police officers who also become costumed heroines -- the first is like a combination of Garou Densetsu's Shiranui Mai and Yokoyama Mitsuteru's Kamen no Ninja Akakage, while the second is an homage to Gowcaizer's Shaia. One other female (who appears to be connected with the villanous organization) is an homage to Gowcaizer's Karin (hurray for more female Monkey King characters!:D ). Character designs for Angel Blade were handled by Uno Makoto, character designer for Love Hina -- and it shows in the design of the series' high school idol (she bears a resemblance to Love Hina's Narusegawa Naru). Uno Makoto also did character designs for Oobari's robot series, Choujuushin Gravion (and it appears he'll be returning for Choujuushin Gravion Zwei). His most recent work can be seen in the character designs for Uchuu no Stellvia.

Sore yuke Marine-chan was just about as funny, but less for the bizarre sexuality and more for the comedy aspect of the story. I was particularly entertained by Yao Kazuki's role as the lead male in episode 2 -- I've been a fan of his work for years now (he was Da Cider in all of the "Lamune & 40" series, as well as Judeau Ashita in Kidou Senshi Gundam ZZ) and I thought it was absolutely hysterical to have him doing work in a hentai production.

VIPER -GTS- was an enjoyable watch, too, but with less emphasis on comedy than the other 2 series.

I don't recall excessive use of "hump loops" (a phrase I'll be using liberally from now on, if that's alright:smirk: ), in any of the series. Overall, if hentai's your thing, I think these are worth your time.

I can provide links to each series' official site once I get home from work, if you'd like to see some character images. Would posting the links in this thread be inappropriate (i.e., should I just PM them to you?)?

--Chris

wow. chris here is like an online japanese dictionary for NG.com
:)

DN3000

n00b
Will this edition contain anything extra?

Because I bought my R1 (FF OAV: Double impact) copy quite along time ago from play.com:

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=search&adudisc=y

It's in english and jap. Not alot of features though.

I'm still looking for the motion picture. My mate bought the what seemed to be the last copy in bloody england!! The bitch ass just managed to see it before me :mad:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
DN3000 said:
:glee: Like I said previously:
Dash no Chris said:
Unfortunately, I've seen nothing so far to indicate that this DVD will have any features not previously found on the Japanese VHS/LD releases.
I've already ordered one of these from my supplier, so I'll be sure to report on it here when it shows up the first week of December. In the meantime, I'll post an update if I see any announcements of further details.

--Chris

RyoGeo

Great write, Dash no Chris, and yes, please use "hump loop" generously and I will revel in its ubiquitous use in the near future, knowing it is my phrase.:glee:

Oh, not to derail things, but I am finding this thread very interesting and, well, you did mention his name so it's not totally a de-rail. ;)

What do you know about the new "Mazinkaiser" anime that is just now becoming available in the US. Ever since 1977, when I received my "Mazinga" Jumbo Shogun Warrior from Santa Claus (and yes, Santa is real), I have loved Nagai Gou super robots and designs with his flair. Mazinkaiser is simply a modern extension of a fan boi dream for me. So, with that being said, how is that series? There are 2 DVD's available for it now in the States. How many episodes are there?

I got the first DVD of the new Getter Robo series and, to be honest, it felt a little slow and a bit too pseudo intellectual. It's giant super robots, man. Just bash some stuff and show a freeze frame of :eek:"Gaaaaah!" with the frame shaking on screen when the pilot is on the receiveing end of a "Rocketu PAHNCH!", y'know? I didn't really like the recent Getter DVD at all.

So, what's the scoop on 'Kaiser? Does it kick retro ass, like Kikaider seems to be doing thus far (been catching the Adult Swim episodes)? The design alone screams Nagai on mental 'roids. I just love his Knightly robots.

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
best. thread. evar.

whoa! thanks for the oobari report chris. i've been a fan since the first minute of the ff anime so i'll put your info to good use. i love 'angel blade,' so i'll make sure to check out the other hentai as well.

as for the non-h stuff, i highly recomend 'platinumhugen ordian.' it's the best piece of animation ever umm... animated:loco: another personal favorite is 'virus: buster serge.' it may not be your thing if you don't like teh thinking (well, more like trying to figure out what's supposed to be going on), but if you love the art, 'virus' is in my opinion his best.

[rant]
and how about some more snk related animation from oobari-san, hmm? i propose 'samurai shodown' goddamnit! that series has been bastardized by the hands of incompetents long enough!
[/rant]

[link]
Studio G-1 NEO (it's sorta dead, but maybe incessant traffic will resurect it:D )
[/link]

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
RyoGeo said:
What do you know about the new "Mazinkaiser" anime that is just now becoming available in the US. Ever since 1977, when I received my "Mazinga" Jumbo Shogun Warrior from Santa Claus (and yes, Santa is real), I have loved Nagai Gou super robots and designs with his flair. Mazinkaiser is simply a modern extension of a fan boi dream for me. So, with that being said, how is that series? There are 2 DVD's available for it now in the States. How many episodes are there?
I first saw info on Mazinkaiser Vol. 1 (released in Japan 9/25/01) back in Spring of '01 and preordered the entire run of that bad boy straight away. As much as I dig Getter, the Mazin series have always been my faves, and throughout the Change! Getter Robo and Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo series I kept thinking how great it would be if they'd only make a new Mazin OAV series. Round about the same time you were getting your Jumbo Shogun Warrior of Great Mazinger (you lucky stiff -- I never had one of those; bought a used jumbo Getter Robo G and Godzilla about 8 yrs ago, tho:) ), I was given a 5" die-cast metal Great Mazinger (also from Santa, iirc -- St. Nick loves super robots!). I still have him packed away in a box somewhere, but I believe one of his rocket punch fists has been MIA for years, while the other one no longer rocket punches (the spring mechanism stopped working before the other fist disappeared). I have fond memories of playing with friends' Jumbo Shogun Warriors in San Antonio -- including an incident in Summer '79 when Gaiking (operated by me) dodged the rocket punch of Great Mazinger (operated by my friend), thereby allowing the flying blue fist to strike me square in the left eye.;)

Back to the matter at hand. I absolutely loved the Mazinkaiser OAV series. IMO, it had just the right balance of Nagai Gou's trademark uberviolence and ridiculously slapstick humor. Great soundtrack, too -- if you're not already a JAM Project fan, you will be after watching Mazinkaiser. There are 7 half-hour episodes altogether. All 7 are available from ADV Films -- 4 eps on U.S. Vol. 1, and 3 eps on U.S. Vol. 2.

Not yet available in the U.S. is "Mazinkaiser -Shitou! Ankoku Daishougun-" ["Battle to the Death! The Great General of Darkness"] -- a 55-min. Mazinkaiser OAV movie, released in Japan 7/25/2003. While the Mazinkaiser OAV series pits the casts of Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger against the villains of the original Mazinger Z TV series (Dr. Hell, Baron Ashura, etc.), the Mazinkaiser OAV movie matches them against the villains from the Great Mazinger TV series (Ankoku Daishougun, Gorgon-shougun, etc.). The stakes get higher in this film, as recurring characters actually start getting killed! I wasn't sure anyone would make it out of this film alive! A completely fabulous movie that no Mazin fan should miss -- contains what must truly be Boss-Borot's finest moment!
RyoGeo said:
I got the first DVD of the new Getter Robo series and, to be honest, it felt a little slow and a bit too pseudo intellectual. It's giant super robots, man. Just bash some stuff and show a freeze frame of :eek:"Gaaaaah!" with the frame shaking on screen when the pilot is on the receiveing end of a "Rocketu PAHNCH!", y'know? I didn't really like the recent Getter DVD at all.
I'm assuming you're referring to ADV Films' release, Getter Robo Armageddon? This 13-ep series was released in Japan as "Change! Getter Robo -Sekai saigou no hi-" ["The World's Last Day" or "The Day of the World's End"]. From what my Japanese buds told me, the director of the series quit after ep 3 over "creative differences." They also said alot of Japanese fans boycotted the series from ep 4 onward. Personally, I loved eps 1-3, but disliked the direction the series took after that. They finally managed to pull it back together in the last 2 episodes, which were almost as good as the first 3 and nearly made up for the junk that was eps 4-11.

On the other hand, Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo is fantastic all the way thru! This 4-ep series was released in Japan from 12/2000 to 06/2001 (the DVD were released once every 2 months). I highly recommend Shin Getter vs Neo Getter, the Mazinkaiser OAV series, and the Mazinkaiser OAV movie.
RyoGeo said:
So, what's the scoop on 'Kaiser? Does it kick retro ass, like Kikaider seems to be doing thus far (been catching the Adult Swim episodes)? The design alone screams Nagai on mental 'roids. I just love his Knightly robots.
Absolutely loved Jinzou Ningen Kikaider THE ANIMATION and Kikaider-01 THE ANIMATION when they hit Japanese DVD in 2000-2002, as well as the studio's remake of Cyborg 009 -- completely stoked to see these series getting an American audience on Cartoon Network. Been a fan of Ishinomori Shoutarou for some time, and I just love what this studio's been doing with his properties. Just recently bought Kikaider-01 THE ANIMATION (the 4-ep OAV sequel to the 12-ep Kikaider TV series -- all 16 were broadcast as one series on Cartoon Network) all over again in a new DVD box set, released in Japan on 9/18/2003. In addition to 2 design and storyboard books packed in the box, and extra footage in each episode, the box set included a brand new 17th episode, entitled "The Boy with the Guitar." This new ep featured Inazuman, another of Ishinomori's manga/tokusatsu heroes. This last ep was well worth the price of the box set (19950 yen) -- a great epilogue to the previous 16 eps, and one which gives us a glimmer of hope that Jirou might someday overcome his recent tragedy and loss. Inazuman, btw, is so completely cool! I'm praying that this studio gets enough positive feedback on this ep to convince them to greenlight an Inazuman anime series!
BenimaruN said:
as for the non-h stuff, i highly recomend 'platinumhugen ordian.' it's the best piece of animation ever umm... animated:loco:
Argh! I can't believe I forgot Ginsou Kikou Ordian! Thanks for the remind, BenimaruN!

--Chris

slerch666

updyke,
Are there any Mazinger Z (Mazinga Z?) DVDs in R2? I'm thinking there probably are...

How about the original Cutey Honey TV series?

And one final bit, I haven't received a bill or request for moeny regarding the DevilMan Lady OSTs... :D

Chuplayer

Crippled Idiot,
I've had the Fatal Fury 1 and 2 OAVs on DVD for two years here in America. Strange that Japan's only getting them now.

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
oh yeah, someone wanted a good all-region player for PAL discs. these guys claim their shizzit is pretty good. can't vouch for it personally, but sounds damn sexy.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
slerch666 said:
Are there any Mazinger Z (Mazinga Z?) DVDs in R2? I'm thinking there probably are...

How about the original Cutey Honey TV series?

And one final bit, I haven't received a bill or request for moeny regarding the DevilMan Lady OSTs... :D
Yep, the Nagai Gou 70s super robot shows have been getting their Region-2 DVD releases recently:

Mazinger the MOVIE Nagai Gou Super Robot BOX
DSTD-02065
15750 yen
5/21/2002
317 mins
Japanese (monaural) & BGM (monaural)
No subtitles
3 dual-layered R-2 discs

This box set features the following remastered theatrical anime films:
DISC-1
> Mazinger Z vs Devilman (1973)
> Mazinger Z vs Ankoku Daishougun (1974)
DISC-2
> Great Mazinger vs Getter Robo (1975)
> Great Mazinger vs Getter Robo G Kuchuu Daigekitotsu (1975)
> UFO Robo Grendizer vs Great Mazinger (1976)
> Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Great Mazinger Kessen! Daikaijuu (1976)
Bonus DISC
> Mazinger Z (1973)
> Mazinger Z vs Doctor Hell (1974)
> Getter Robo (1974)
> Uchuu Enban Daisensou (1975)
> Kore ga UFO da! Soratobu enban (1975)

A re-release of this DVD box set (with slight variations) occurred in 2003:
Mazinger the MOVIE Nagai Gou Super Robot BOX Compact
DSTD-02226
15750 yen
5/21/2003

DISC-1 and DISC-2 of these box sets are also available separately (with different jacket illustrations):

Mazinger the Movie 1
DSTD-02214
4725 yen
5/21/2003
86 mins

Mazinger the Movie 2
DSTD-02215
4725 yen
5/21/2003
112 mins

Mazinger Z BOX 1
DSTD-02075
48300 yen
11/21/2002
1150 mins
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
8 dual-layered R-2 discs
Contains eps 1-46 of the Mazinger Z anime TV series.

Mazinger Z BOX 2
DSTD-02079
48300 yen
2/21/2003
1150 mins
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
8 dual-layered R-2 discs
Contains eps 47-92 of the Mazinger Z anime TV series.

Great Mazinger BOX
DSTD-02225
58800 yen
5/21/2003
1400 yen
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
10 dual-layered R-2 discs
Contains all 56 eps of the Great Mazinger anime TV series.

God Mazinger DVD-BOX
PIBA-3157
26250 yen
6/25/2003
557 yen
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
4 dual-layered R-2 discs
Contains all 23 eps of the God Mazinger anime TV series (1984).

The UFO Robo Grendizer series will be released on R-2 DVD in 2004:

UFO Robo Grendizer BOX 1
DSTD-02251
41790 yen
2/21/2004
888 mins
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
6 dual-layered R-2 discs + bonus disc
Contains eps 1-37 of the UFO Robo Grendizer anime TV series.

UFO Robo Grendizer BOX 2
38850 yen
5/21/2004
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
Contains the second half of the UFO Robo Grendizer anime TV series.

The Getter Robo series are available on R-2 DVD in 2003:

Getter Robo BOX
DSTD-02231
54600 yen
8/8/2003
1282 mins
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
8 dual-layered R-2 discs
Contains all 51 eps of the Getter Robo anime TV series.

Getter Robo G BOX
DSTD-02235
40950 yen
11/21/2003
946 yen
Japanese (monaural)
No subtitles
6 dual-layered R-2 discs
Contains all 39 eps of the Getter Robo G anime TV series.

AFAIK, none of the Cutey Honey series (original 70s Cutey Honey, early 90s Shin Cutey Honey, late 90s Cutey Honey F) have been released on Japanese R-2 DVD.

Sorry about the delay re: the billing statement for the Devilman Lady OST -- my partner should be preparing the statements as we speak.

--Chris

slerch666

updyke,
Dash no Chris said:
AFAIK, none of the Cutey Honey series (original 70s Cutey Honey, early 90s Shin Cutey Honey, late 90s Cutey Honey F) have been released on Japanese R-2 DVD.

Sorry about the delay re: the billing statement for the Devilman Lady OST -- my partner should be preparing the statements as we speak.

--Chris

First, I am going to copy that information on Mazinger for future use. Second, thanks for all the information! And as far as the Cutey Honey stuff is concerned, all I can say is, it figures. Gainax is working on another Cutey Honey series, I believe, maybe they'll start releasing it when that happens?

As soon as I receive the bill, I'll post the payment. I really want that OST! :multi_co:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Update for: FF1&2 anime DVD, "new" Angel Blade DVD, & Cutey Honey anime R-2 releas

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I finally had a little free time to pop open my copy of the R-2 DVD release of the FF1&2 anime (released last November), so I wanted to follow up with some content info.
RyoGeo said:
Dash no Chris, is there anything special to this disc set beyond the basic episodes? Are there special bits on this, other than the new Obari cover?
DN3000 said:
First, some notes on the packaging. The new Terry - Andy - Joe - Mai illustration by Oobari serves as the front cover illustration for both the DVD and the insert booklet. The Mai portion of the illustration is reproduced as a monochromatic pinkish-red "greyscale" image on the printed side of the DVD itself. The booklet is 8 pages, in full color (although the 8th page -- the back cover -- is just a blank red page). Page 2's Japanese text provides background info on the game series behind the anime, along with several images from the FF1&2 anime. Page 3's text provides background info on Pony Canyon's FF2 strategy VHS/LD release, "Garou Densetsu 2 -Ougi Denshouhen-" (released in June, '93), along with several images from that strategy video. Pages 4-5 feature an interview with Oobari Masami, a brief summary of his career, a small b&w photo of Oobari, and several images from the FF1&2 anime. Pages 6-7 feature a very simple character relationship chart, explaining the ties that bind together the 8 main characters of the 2 anime (Terry, Andy, Joe, Mai, Jef, Tung, Geese, & Krauser). The chart prints the character names in both Japanese and English, and I noticed that the "Jef" spelling of the Bogards' father's name (previously seen in Japanese mooks & filmbooks about the FF anime films) is once again used here.

The jacket insert that provides the front and back covers of the DVD keepcase, is printed on both sides. The keepcase itself is made of transparent plastic, so removing the insert booklet and the DVD will allow you to see the backside of the jacket insert. The left portion (behind the booklet) explains the DVDs menu setup. The right portion (behind the DVD) is black, with the "Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu" logo in the upper left corner, the "Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu 2" logo in the lower right corner, and a DVD-sized pinkish-red disc in the center (the monochrome version of the cover image of Mai is once again printed here, in the center of the pinkish-red disc). The inner spine portion of jacket insert is a similar pinkish-red, with "BATTLE FIGHTERS" in black English letters running down the middle. If one were to remove the jacket insert, reverse it, and re-insert it, the monochrome image of Mai would become the front cover, the menu explanation would become the back cover, and the spine would show "BATTLE FIGHTERS" instead of the Japanese logos for the 2 films.

Each track on the DVD (other than the tracks that mark the opening, title, and ending credit sequences of the films) is tied to the beginning of one of the fight scenes, allowing the viewer to use the chapter select menu to jump directly to a particular match-up. In addition to the 2 anime TV specials, the DVD also features a brief selection from the aforementioned "Garou Densetsu 2 -Ougi Denshouhen-" strategy video. Unfortunately, it's only about 5 mins long -- just long enough to show introductory sample bouts for the 4 main characters (Terry, Andy, Joe, & Mai) but no long enough for combos or tactical advice. This is similar to the strategy video samplers that were included at the end of the R-2 releases of "Battle Spirits Ryuuko no Ken" (aka, Art of Fighting) and "Samurai Spirits Haten Kouma no Shou" (aka, Samurai Spirits The Movie). Personally, I think if Marvelous Entertainment (the producers of these DVDs) isn't going to bother providing the entire 60-minute strategy video on each DVD, they should just scrap the 5 minutes they're giving us and just give us the SNK TV commercials instead (which were previously available on the FF & AoF anime videos/LDs, and on Pony Canyon's strategy videos/LDs).

As previously stated in this thread, the FF1&2 R-2 DVD release (and all the R-2 DVDs of NEO-related anime) are Japanese-language only, with no subtitles of any kind.
BenimaruN said:
whoa! thanks for the oobari report chris. i've been a fan since the first minute of the ff anime so i'll put your info to good use. i love 'angel blade,' so i'll make sure to check out the other hentai as well.

[link] Studio G-1 NEO (it's sorta dead, but maybe incessant traffic will resurect it) [/link]
Still no word on a follow-up to the original 3-part Angel Blade hentai anime series (or of a follow-up to the Sore yuke Marine-chan or VIPER -GTS- hentai anime series, for that matter), however there is a "new" Angel Blade R-2 DVD coming in July. Entitled "Angel Blade - Ultimate Edition," this will be a single DVD package containing all 3 episodes for only 7140 yen (this is a bargain, considering each of the 3 episodes were originally released individually for 7140 yen apiece -- basically, you're getting all 3 eps for 1/3 their original price). In addition, "Ultimate Edition" will include new footage not found in the original release of the series, and an all-new cover illustration (that link goes to an early "sneak preview" line drawing of the proposed cover illustration -- there's a couple naked breasts in this pic, just so everyone's forewarned). So far I've seen no announcements concerning this DVDs serial number, running time, or number of discs (although I'm assuming it'll be a single DVD). I'll try to post an update as I get more info.

BTW, thanks for the Studio G-1 NEO link, BenimaruN! It's been a donkey's age since I've visited the site, so I hadn't seen all the pre-production concept art for Choujuushin Gravion. Wow, some of the characters were changed pretty drastically from their original designs. It'd be nice to see Mizuki Tachibana (apparently, referred to originally as Eyehawk Mizuki Tachibana) in this little black number with the spade-shaped hole over her navel in an upcoming episode of Gravion Zwei.:glee:
slerch666 said:
Are there any Mazinger Z DVDs in R2? How about the original Cutey Honey TV series?
2004 looks set to be the year for Cutey Honey. With a new live-action theatrical film throwing Nagai Gou's seminal android superheroine back into the spotlight, Toei Video is finally releasing all 3 Cutey Honey anime series (Cutey Honey [1973-74], Shin Cutey Honey [1994-95], and Cutey Honey F [1997-98]) on R-2 DVD:

On 4/21/04, the 1973-74 Cutey Honey anime TV series will be released on 3 individual DVD volumes (10 eps on 2 discs in each of the first 2 volumes, and 5 eps on 1 disc for vol. 3 -- a total of 25 eps), and in a DVD boxed set ("Cutie Honey Premium Box"). The boxed set will also include a 6th DVD featuring: the series' Pilot Film, the series' preview from the Spring '74 Toei Manga Festival, a collection of TV Spots, promo adverts for the first episode, and a credit-free version of the opening title sequence. A bonus CD soundtrack, "ETERNAL EDITION Cutey Honey," will also be included in the boxed set. Also included will be a pamphlet/booklet providing synopses for all 25 episodes. The boxed set is priced at 31,290 yen. The individual DVD volumes will be 10,290 yen each for vols 1 & 2, and 5040 yen for vol 3.

On 5/21/04, the 1994-95 Shin Cutey Honey [New Cutey Honey] OAV series will be released as a 2-disc DVD volume, entitled "Shin Cutey Honey Complete Pack" (a total of 8 episodes). It appears that the initial run of this DVD package will be in a limited digipack format. No details yet on the special features or the booklet, only that the package will include both. The "Complete Pack" will retail for 10,290 yen.

On 6/21/04, the first of 4 DVD volumes of the 1997-98 Cutey Honey F [Cutey Honey Flash] anime TV series will be released. Each volume will contain 2 discs, with 10 eps each on vols 1-3, and 9 eps on vol 4 -- a total of 39 eps. Vols 2, 3, & 4 go on sale on 7/21, 8/6, & 9/21, respectively. I was hoping that Cutey Honey F would get a boxed set release, too, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Hopefully, we'll get lucky and one of the 4 vols will include a box as a first pressing bonus. Each volume will be priced at 10,290 yen.

BTW, here's a link to Toei Video's Cutey Honey page, and one to the official site for the live-action film, Cutie Honey, in Japanese theaters at the beginning of Summer '04.

I've got all 3 of these series on LD already, so I was thinking I probably wouldn't pick them up on DVD (especially since the total for the boxed set, the digipack, and the Flash DVDs is 82,740 yen -- about $750 - $790 in Japan). But after looking at the contents of the boxed set, it's getting harder and harder to pass these up.

--Chris

Curt

apostate
Kickass, I might be interested in checking these Discs out...

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
our anime guru comes through yet again. thanks for the 'angel blade - ultimate edition' news, i'm so there.

also, after your posts, i checked out 'viper -gts-' and it rocks! it's my new favorite oobari hentai, angel what...?

as for 'gravion zwei,' i'm disappointed. with 'gravion' in general. i'm not interested in any of the characters, robot designs, the plot, and most distressingly the art. i liked oobari's "realistic" giant robot treatment up until now, but this show has let me down. i'm not a fan of the giant/dopey robo-force/team anime concept, i like stuff like gundam, evangelion, rahxephon, etc. i hope oobari and g-1 don't decide that they should stick to gravion-esque anime in the future...

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
BenimaruN said:
our anime guru comes through yet again. thanks for the 'angel blade - ultimate edition' news, i'm so there.
No prob. I've already reserved my copy with my shop's supplier -- if you're interested in ordering the 'ultimate edition,' just let me know.
BenimaruN said:
also, after your posts, i checked out 'viper -gts-' and it rocks! it's my new favorite oobari hentai, angel what...?
Glad to hear it! Now if we could just get some OAVs based some of the other VIPER storylines -- in particular, those featuring Kimura Takahiro's character designs (but only if the anime company could get Kimura to provide the anime character designs, too).
BenimaruN said:
as for 'gravion zwei,' i'm disappointed. with 'gravion' in general. i'm not interested in any of the characters, robot designs, the plot, and most distressingly the art. i liked oobari's "realistic" giant robot treatment up until now, but this show has let me down. i'm not a fan of the giant/dopey robo-force/team anime concept, i like stuff like gundam, evangelion, rahxephon, etc. i hope oobari and g-1 don't decide that they should stick to gravion-esque anime in the future...
The things that I like about Gravion are all of the traditional giantrobot-isms it incorporates, all of the traditional giantrobot-isms it mockingly parodies, and the extreme levels of exaggeration it utilizes at all points in between the two. And it has Mizuki Tachibana.:buttrock: And her breasts.:buttrock: :buttrock: It's far from being my favorite robot anime (that honor goes to Yuushaou Gaogaigar and GEAR Fighter Dendoh), but no episode of Gravion has ever failed to entertain the hell out of me. But I can see how Gravion would not be your cup of tea if you're more inclined toward series that take a more "realistic" and/or "serious" approach to the concept of a giant robot, it's pilot, and their support team. Have you seen any episodes of Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! yet? Yet more Kimura character designs -- huzzah!

--Chris

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
... Have you seen any episodes of Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! yet? Yet more Kimura character designs -- huzzah!

oh man, don't get me started on 'godannar.' i saw the premiere episode and almost got epilepsy from the frantic pace. that kind of stuff may be fine for the kids, but old man's brains like mine can't keep up with it.

and thanks for the 'angel blade UE' offer, i'm definitely gonna take you up on that soon.

karyuudo

n00b
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I finally had a little free time to pop open my copy of the R-2 DVD release of the FF1&2 anime (released last November), so I wanted to follow up with some content info.

First, some notes on the packaging. The new Terry - Andy - Joe - Mai illustration by Oobari serves as the front cover illustration for both the DVD and the insert booklet. The Mai portion of the illustration is reproduced as a monochromatic pinkish-red "greyscale" image on the printed side of the DVD itself. The booklet is 8 pages, in full color (although the 8th page -- the back cover -- is just a blank red page). Page 2's Japanese text provides background info on the game series behind the anime, along with several images from the FF1&2 anime. Page 3's text provides background info on Pony Canyon's FF2 strategy VHS/LD release, "Garou Densetsu 2 -Ougi Denshouhen-" (released in June, '93), along with several images from that strategy video. Pages 4-5 feature an interview with Oobari Masami, a brief summary of his career, a small b&w photo of Oobari, and several images from the FF1&2 anime. Pages 6-7 feature a very simple character relationship chart, explaining the ties that bind together the 8 main characters of the 2 anime (Terry, Andy, Joe, Mai, Jef, Tung, Geese, & Krauser). The chart prints the character names in both Japanese and English, and I noticed that the "Jef" spelling of the Bogards' father's name (previously seen in Japanese mooks & filmbooks about the FF anime films) is once again used here.

The jacket insert that provides the front and back covers of the DVD keepcase, is printed on both sides. The keepcase itself is made of transparent plastic, so removing the insert booklet and the DVD will allow you to see the backside of the jacket insert. The left portion (behind the booklet) explains the DVDs menu setup. The right portion (behind the DVD) is black, with the "Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu" logo in the upper left corner, the "Battle Fighters Garou Densetsu 2" logo in the lower right corner, and a DVD-sized pinkish-red disc in the center (the monochrome version of the cover image of Mai is once again printed here, in the center of the pinkish-red disc). The inner spine portion of jacket insert is a similar pinkish-red, with "BATTLE FIGHTERS" in black English letters running down the middle. If one were to remove the jacket insert, reverse it, and re-insert it, the monochrome image of Mai would become the front cover, the menu explanation would become the back cover, and the spine would show "BATTLE FIGHTERS" instead of the Japanese logos for the 2 films.

Each track on the DVD (other than the tracks that mark the opening, title, and ending credit sequences of the films) is tied to the beginning of one of the fight scenes, allowing the viewer to use the chapter select menu to jump directly to a particular match-up. In addition to the 2 anime TV specials, the DVD also features a brief selection from the aforementioned "Garou Densetsu 2 -Ougi Denshouhen-" strategy video. Unfortunately, it's only about 5 mins long -- just long enough to show introductory sample bouts for the 4 main characters (Terry, Andy, Joe, & Mai) but no long enough for combos or tactical advice. This is similar to the strategy video samplers that were included at the end of the R-2 releases of "Battle Spirits Ryuuko no Ken" (aka, Art of Fighting) and "Samurai Spirits Haten Kouma no Shou" (aka, Samurai Spirits The Movie). Personally, I think if Marvelous Entertainment (the producers of these DVDs) isn't going to bother providing the entire 60-minute strategy video on each DVD, they should just scrap the 5 minutes they're giving us and just give us the SNK TV commercials instead (which were previously available on the FF & AoF anime videos/LDs, and on Pony Canyon's strategy videos/LDs).

As previously stated in this thread, the FF1&2 R-2 DVD release (and all the R-2 DVDs of NEO-related anime) are Japanese-language only, with no subtitles of any kind.

Sorry to unearth this old thread, but I only recently became aware of the R2J DVD of the GD OVAs. Dash no Chris, I'm wondering what the quality is like for this DVD? I know that Discotek released an uncut R1 DVD, but that version had some color banding on it... so I wondered if the R2J disc had the same issues also?