Favorite 80s shooters

KGRAMR

Another Striker
These are some of the 1980s shoot 'em ups i find myself playing from time to time:
- R-Type
- The ones by Toaplan (Tiger-Heli, Slap Fight, Flying Shark, etc.)
- Blazing Lazers
- Zanac
- Life Force (Salamander)
- Prehistoric Isle
- Galaga '88
- Xevious

And various others that i can't remember right now at the top of my head.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
How's this for an 80's shooter: SATAN'S HOLLOW! Shooting enemies while trying to build a bridge to the Land of Satan. This was to me one of the more vicious shooters, especially when you die on an extremely hard level and lose all your firepower. On a factory setting it was hard enough, nearly impossible on its hardest setting.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Another shooter from 1982: the rarely seen Sega vector shooting classic Tac/Scan. Had standard vertical shooting and 3D style shooting. Another feature was you control a formation of ships that range from 1 up to 4. As long as you have extras, you can add to your formation however if the main ship gets hit, you lose everything. Part of Sega's Convert-A-Game system along with Space Fury, Star Trek and Eliminators (the only 4 player vector game made).

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Demon Attack looked so awesome back then, as we didn't often see big clouds of bullets like that.

On the 2600, Megamania was my main shooter game. Others include Vanguard, Demon Attack, Phoenix, River Raid, and Chopper Command.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
R-type
Alpha Mission 1 & 2
Terra Cresta
Asteroids
Galaga
1942, 1943

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Eagle / Moon Cresta

Loved having all 3 ships docked, firing 5 bullets

Moon Patrol

Starts simple enough then increases the difficulty at a steady pace.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
It makes me warm inside seeing how many people mentioned R-Type.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Galaxian.
Galaga.
Gaplus.
Moon Alien.
Moon Patrol.
Robotron 2084.
Skykid.
Truxton.

The 90s were much better, however.

I see Space Invaders mentioned, but that was the previous decade, so I didn't mention it.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Honestly, Hellfire and R Type for me. I only literally recently discovered R Type (or rather should I say, gave it a chance) by getting it for my Turbografx, but good god DAMN. I have played almost every Gradius except Salamander, and while I think Gradius' are great objectively, I never want to play them anymore because I played the ever living fuck out of them as a child and they are all so similar to me. I now see why R Type was and is SO highly regarded. Its fucking enTRANCED me. I LOVE this fucking game. Its my understanding the Turbo version is very close to arcade perfect, is this true? Was there any more perfect port on say the saturn?

Hellfire was another recent dicscovery but like a few years ago on the Genesis and I really dig that game. But holy fuck, R Type...