Fatal Fury Series (Neo Geo vs x68000)

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
Can anyone here share the experience in playing these games?

I read the comments in the past and someone said they have a lot of slowdown. However, when I saw the videos in youtube, it seems that they run quite smooth.

I believe it may be the best port among the others.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Ahh, sorry man I know I've seen a vid where it was compared, if I find it I'll post.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
X68000?? :loco:
I had no idea there even WAS a FF port for that. Amazing.

Sorry, can't help tho.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
damn, i would have never guessed that fatal fury special had so many ports! i had the genesis port and i thought it was great at the time but compared to the neo, its not that great lol

the game gear port is pretty good and shows off what the game gear can do!

the pc engine is pretty cool but weird. has awesome cd quality music during the intro and gameplay but has the 8 bit music during the character select and vs screen. i noticed a lot of cd games for the pc engine have that issue as well.

Phades

New Challenger
Wasn't the version for the pc engine an arcade card game? Not sure if it was any good.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Wasn't the version for the pc engine an arcade card game? Not sure if it was any good.

yes it is! the pc engine had 4 neo geo ports. fatal fury 2, special, art of fighting, and world heroes 2 and were all arcade games. i'm sure they are pretty good but sucks i can't play them since i have yet to own an arcade card :(

Phades

New Challenger
I'm curious now to look up some gameplay videos. TO THE YOUTUBES!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
While the X68K has enough juice to port FFS graphically arcade perfect, its 2151 is absolutely no match ( or even close ) to the might 2610.
It screams "I lack ADPCM channels but yet I can still sound good".

Best ports of that generation.
As for the AST's, the PC Engine CD versions are better rendered than the NGCD ones.

Sound on the Snes is a complete joke btw :keke:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The neo geo original is probably still the cheapest version out there.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
And how much did the arcade card pro/duo cost you?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Bought it for the AST in the first place.

Some games are worth getting on multiplatforms.
Having FFS for all the SNK systems wouldn't make much sense playing it on a "lesser" system.
It's still my fav game ever, so any version is a collectible to me ;)

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
I read some review before and saying that the sound for the character selection and vs screen come from the system itself instead of cd.

Btw, there is FM Towns Version but i cant find the detail on the internet.

damn, i would have never guessed that fatal fury special had so many ports! i had the genesis port and i thought it was great at the time but compared to the neo, its not that great lol

the game gear port is pretty good and shows off what the game gear can do!

the pc engine is pretty cool but weird. has awesome cd quality music during the intro and gameplay but has the 8 bit music during the character select and vs screen. i noticed a lot of cd games for the pc engine have that issue as well.

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
After watching that video I'd say the PC Engine version looked the best and the arranged soundtrack sounded bad ass. I've only played the Snes version and it's really not to bad given the limitations Takara had to work with. It's funny back then when I couldn't afford the real thing these ports seemed a lot better but looking at them now they really don't even come close.

Shanadria

New Challenger
Ahhhh I love Fatal Fury 2. I only played the Snes version but it was not the same...I had to wait for years until I can finally take my hands on the MVS. I always thought that the Mega CD version was the best of all the other ones

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
So, how are you sure they're pretty good?
Well then I'll answer it... they are. I have the four games mentioned for my TG16. I modded it just so that I could run these games and Street Fighter II. Seeing what a killer job Hudson did with the Neo-Geo ports I wish they would have done the same with SFII (that is using the Arcade Card and CD). The most annoying thing for me is on Art of Fighting with the scaling, it's hard to describe but if you watched a video you would notice it right away. The best game out of the 4 was World Heroes 2 and I felt was the closest to the Neo. Considering the system is a glorified 8 bit console they did an amazing job.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i had the x68k version for a minute.

it was like 90% perfect. with just some nitpicky things.

also it was on like 20 5 1/4" disks. so between rounds and changing players you were flipping and swapping disks. bummer. it came with a 4 button neo style pad too, but it was and still is awful.