FATAL FURY I & II OVAs & THE MOTION PICTURE on R1 DVD By DISCOTEK MEDIA

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I used to have this OVA on VHS. The character designs I always thought were a bit odd; that Obari/Gowcaiser style, but I liked it nonetheless.

Kinda cool that it's coming out in a High Def format. I don't remember the aspect ratio of the original but if it was 4:3, I hope they preserve that instead of doing some pan and scan shit. Black bars on the side are FINE provided I can see the entire frame.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I used to have this OVA on VHS. The character designs I always thought were a bit odd; that Obari/Gowcaiser style, but I liked it nonetheless.

Kinda cool that it's coming out in a High Def format. I don't remember the aspect ratio of the original but if it was 4:3, I hope they preserve that instead of doing some pan and scan shit. Black bars on the side are FINE provided I can see the entire frame.

Garou the movie was a originally a widescreen non 4:3 affair. This release and the previous are anamorphic widescreen-same as the theatrical aspect ratio and not some travesty cropped rubbish.

One of the main reasons I dig Discotek is not only are they all about the vintage shit, they are also one of the few brands that will go balls-deep to release the best version possible and none of that standard def upscale crap.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I liked FF:TMP a lot back in the day. The FF OVAs and movie have to be the most "successful" adaptations of SNK to animation, right?

Anyway, I found about six of these after reading this thread yesterday. I had no idea Shinkiro had done any art related to the movie.

4de69c99d9f1b3b6000668c41a1e87f7.jpeg

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I liked FF:TMP a lot back in the day. The FF OVAs and movie have to be the most "successful" adaptations of SNK to animation, right?

Anyway, I found about six of these after reading this thread yesterday. I had no idea Shinkiro had done any art related to the movie.

View attachment 43577

Yeah those are awesome! For those interested in the rest of the shinkiro FF:TMP art, they are found on pages 10-14 of the FF:TMP "Perfect Album" book. There are some fantastic ones from a bunch of key scenes from the movie. Good stuff!

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member

Not a fan of the Art of Fighting OVA, huh?

Seriously, though, you can tell that SNK put more bank into the Fatal Fury adaptations than any other anime project. It's strange that The King of Fighters didn't get as many anime off-shoots, but I guess SNK had more money to throw around in 1994.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I really hope this doesn't get overly DNR'd, but since Discotek has a good track record I'm hoping it will get a nice natural and grainy transfer, like their Street Fighter II release maybe. Great company.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
If this is what I think it is...I think I bought the VCDs a long time ago. The one with Krauser was way better but Andy's stupid ass ascot ruined the movie for me.

RyoGeo

I'll just leave this here:

FF_BluRay_Tweet.png

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Amazon says my bluray copy of Fatal Fury the Movie is shipping soon, so it looks like the bluray version is finally coming out.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Just received my copy. I was blown away by how well the video quality of the diskotek dvd version turned out, but this is very impressive!

I am currently watching it, but here's a special feature breakdown:

japanese trailer and tv spot
english trailer
blu-ray teaser trailer
blu-ray remastered theatrical trailer
**production art gallery
original us home video credits
blu-ray credits

**This has a lot more art than the art gallery featured on discotek's previous dvd release. In addition to promo art, the gallery also includes art done by Shinkiro and a more expansive collection of the production sheets featuring the character designs.

Sound:
english and japanese 2.0 stereo

There's no extra inserts in the case, but there is a nice reversible cover. The alt-side and the standard slipcover is the art used for the original japanese laserdisc release. Good stuff!

Last edited:

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Yep I received my copy too. Very nice slip cover that also has a nice tight fit (not the type where you grab it and the blu ray slips out from underneath). More importantly looks like the image quality is excellent, doesn't seem to have excessive DNR in use, has grain and dust and the picture appears very healthy. :)

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
The quality is totally ridiculous. The definitive version of a really fun film. Please buy this and support what was very clearly a passion project with a ton of effort put forth.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Discotek doing god's work on these (and the Lupin) licensing. Bought asap and others should too!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Anyone know if this is region free? Information says region A online, but I know sometimes they say that but it isn't locked.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
As per usual, Discotek has done an awesome job with both the DVD & Blu-ray of Fatal Fury The Motion Picture. The DVD looks great and the Blu-ray is just crisper and more vivid. Highly recommended.

RyoGeo

Y'all convinced me. I was excited but kinda forgot, with work stuff crashing on me.

Ordered a copy.

Wx8ARbM.gif

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
this thread isn't about kof destiny you shithead.

Last edited:

NeoField

Rugal's Thug
I used to rent the Fatal Fury movie from Blockbuster all the time when I was a kid! Thanks for posting this!

Ashura

n00b
Sorry for the belated reply!

Thank you guys for picking up the release and the comments! We worked hard on it.

One thing that's not listed is that we added the missing signs to the subtitles and I fixed the names of the characters to be canonical to the games where I could (Like the name of Kim Kaphwan's son.)

I was able to also get the production art in there at the very last minute.

Ashura, I'm pretty fascinated by the process you are creating these discs. For example, with the Fatal Fury OVAs, I assuming the Japanese master used was some kind of professional video cassette used for the Japanese LD & DVD? Is it called a digibeta, HDCAM, DVCAM? Was the master analog or digital? Was this the same type of source used for your Violence Jack DVD? I understand no better source exists than the censored master used for your release? Do you think in Japan they just throw out the OCN or interpositive for such vintage OVAs typically once it's been transferred to a master source? Sorry, so many questions lol. I hope the book works out good for your needs. It's been years since I've owned it. Here's a cover scan of my old copy, use it freely if you need to:

If it's old and standard def, like the Fatal Fury OVAs, we usually get Digibetas or even older 1 inch stuff sometimes (Pizza Cats comes to mind) and we'll get that transferred to prores. Sometimes the Japanese licensor may even send us m2v (MPEG2 for DVD) files. HD stuff, if it's on HDCam, it'll be also be transferred to Prores for us. A lot of the time we just get a hard drive with prores on it! I don't know what the source of Violence Jack is, unfortunately; didn't work on that!

Japan doesn't generally throw out the the film, though they've lost it in some cases. Like the original negative for Project Ako is nowhere to be found currently. Hoping to find it somewhere!!

Last edited: