Fatal Fury/Garou Game will be a ‘Very Big Release’ for SNK; Will Focus on Single-Player

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
XII & XIII were 3D…wireframe models, skinned with dot art.

3D isn’t the problem here; art direction is.

I’ll reserve judgment until playing it; however, like RBJake-I wish it were pixel based.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It needs to be stylistic like SamSho 2019

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
XII & XIII were 3D…wireframe models, skinned with dot art.

3D isn’t the problem here; art direction is.

I’ll reserve judgment until playing it; however, like RBJake-I wish it were pixel based.
If XII and XIII are 3D games then so is Art of Fighting 3, Sonic 3, Donkey Kong Country…I don’t think that’s correct.

If they animate dots instead of vectors, the perspective is relatively fixed, etc, it’s 2D. Clay Fighter, Street Fighter or the Genesis version of Virtual Fighter, all 2D.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNK is dead. Fuck 3D.
So dead they're selling more games than they ever have, and with a good chunk of staff from their 90s heyday.

Despite 2D making a comeback with indie games and retro revivals like Shredder's Revenge, 3D is still the #1 option for making games. SNK would be bonkers to abandon it.

If it were up to me, they'd do both. Farm out development to DotEmu and release some games in either high-res 2D, or low-res pixel art, while also having big 3D releases developed in UE4 and UE5. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Nuts and bolts, it just needs to look like a Fatal Fury game, and play like a Fatal Fury game. 2D, 3D, 4D, whatever.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So dead they're selling more games than they ever have, and with a good chunk of staff from their 90s heyday.

Despite 2D making a comeback with indie games and retro revivals like Shredder's Revenge, 3D is still the #1 option for making games. SNK would be bonkers to abandon it.

If it were up to me, they'd do both. Farm out development to DotEmu and release some games in either high-res 2D, or low-res pixel art, while also having big 3D releases developed in UE4 and UE5. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Nuts and bolts, it just needs to look like a Fatal Fury game, and play like a Fatal Fury game. 2D, 3D, 4D, whatever.

The SNK that I knew and loved, like so many other members here, is dead. It died in late 2001 when it went bust, and along with it, the magic that made the games they made so special.

There maybe a company called SNK that makes videogames, but they are not the company that I knew.

I've never been a massive fan of 3D brawlers and never will be. Whether 2D is commerically viable or not in today's videogame arena is highly debatable, and until SNK, or Capcom, takes a role of the dice and puts out a 2D game we'll never know for certain.

If you like the stuff the current SNK are putting out, more power to you, I'm happy for you that you like those games.

Personally I couldn't care less.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Are we talking about a MK9 sort of story mode? Or Fatal Fury 3 Map mode? This can go a lot of ways. I would rather expect little and be surprised by a lot. Better than expecte a lot and get little.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There maybe a company called SNK that makes videogames, but they are not the company that I knew.
I could make similar statements about my hometown or favorite restaurant. I can think of few game companies that still resemble their late 90's incarnations. Things change. The point here is discussing an upcoming game. There's diminishing value in having this same old discussion every time.

But I suppose this is neo-geo.com, where life never moves on.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Bunch of salty cunts wishing to dust off their 30year old hardware - fuck off. SNK is trying to make some money and stay relevant. Even when NEOGEO was NEOGEO, most people didn't know wtf a NEOGEO was. I couldn't stand having to explain it to the majority. Say Pacman and see what happens.

every game company wants a pacman.

Single Player = FUCK YES and about fucking time - One of the things I loved about some of the SNK franchises were
- Story elements
- Cool Background intros
- Background Music

I just hope they don't just wrap new skins around the KOF engine and (instead) create something new. Oh yeah and none of that MULTI-PLANE bullshit from OG Garou

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ah well, I don't mind new games, will give the new one a try as I always do but something tells me it won't be up my street. I may be an old fart that prolly should fuck off but I know what I like.

Funny that we old farts have to explain ourselves now on neo-geo.com in this day and age, I thought we'd be cool with not giving a fuck about new games and ex-Playmoa bs. Times have changed, eh.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I could make similar statements about my hometown or favorite restaurant. I can think of few game companies that still resemble their late 90's incarnations. Things change. The point here is discussing an upcoming game. There's diminishing value in having this same old discussion every time.

But I suppose this is neo-geo.com, where life never moves on.
Agreed. I get the whole nostalgia thing of longing for the 90s companies and games, but those ships have sailed long ago.

If anything, we should consider ourselves lucky that we're getting games from SNK, Capcom, Nintendo, etc. that still have a good chunk of staff from those old glory days, in whatever positions they hold now.

From everything I'm reading, and after playing the hell out of Sam Sho and KOF 15, it looks to me like SNK is trying extra hard to recapture that magic for the modern era. Whether or not they're succeeding is up to opinion, but I'd say they are. Sam Sho especially got me feeling those same feels that I did with Sam Sho 2 and 4 back in the day. KOF 15 looks, sounds, and feels like KOF, more than KOF 14 did especially.

"Neo-Geo.com. Where life never moves on." should be the official slogan for the site.

Anyways, SNK has their work cut out for them now that Capcom has revealed all the single player content for SF6. They're really trying to revolutionize the single player fighting game experience with open world(ish) exploration and interaction and custom characters. If SNK was able to pull something off like that with Southtown, even if it was more limited in a manner like...say...Persona 5, it would be huge and really add to the experience.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I suspect that the exclusivity of the Neo Geo is part of why this argument won't go away. The obscurity made it cool for some.
The AES was an obscurity, but the red MVS cabs weren't. So, it was a contradiction. It was, and it wasn't, a niche system. The videogame magazines didn't really cover the AES, because there wasn't much money to be made from it. At least in the U.S., the AES was something to promote the MVS in the arcades (which is where SNK made it's money).

SNK need to make a make a game that really brings back the glory days of the 90's. But I don't know how you'd do that, when arcades are almost gone in many parts of the world. It's not like the early 90's where everyone played SF2 at the arcades, and it made a billion dollars for Capcom. It's splintered now, with a lot of people playing many different games online.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I never cared for exclusivity, the big thing for me was to be able to play the games at home without a compromise in graphics, sound or gameplay. That's what I always wanted, a console that isn't a downsized version of some arcade hardware but the real thing in a nice package for home use.

The fact that a certain number of pitiful people used the homecart system and its expensive games as some sort of penis extension doesn't change that.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Ah well, I don't mind new games, will give the new one a try as I always do but something tells me it won't be up my street. I may be an old fart that prolly should fuck off but I know what I like.

Funny that we old farts have to explain ourselves now on neo-geo.com in this day and age, I thought we'd be cool with not giving a fuck about new games and ex-Playmoa bs. Times have changed, eh.

You're right, we shoudln't have to explain ourselves.

I think one of the biggest ironys of this entire thread is - this web site, and the forum, are dedicated to NEO•GEO not SNK... so, yes, who gives a fuck really about SNK and the games they're pumping out now, because, wait for it.... THEY'RE NOT NEO•GEO GAMES!!

So, yeah, life isn't moving on because the Neo•Geo ended its commerical run 22 years ago.

Oh, the horror.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Come to think of it I’ve only ever played SNK games that were pre-Neo Geo, on the Neo Geo or on the NES.

EDIT: oh and I guess some Atomiswave stuff too.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You guys are the majority here. There's only like a couple of us even bothering to try the new games, so it's not like you're getting ganged up on here or anything. neo-geo.com, the gaming site where people hate gamers.

The AES was an obscurity, but the red MVS cabs weren't. So, it was a contradiction. It was, and it wasn't, a niche system. The videogame magazines didn't really cover the AES, because there wasn't much money to be made from it. At least in the U.S., the AES was something to promote the MVS in the arcades (which is where SNK made it's money).
You didn't need to know what Neo Geo was to play an MVS.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You guys are the majority here. There's only like a couple of us even bothering to try the new games, so it's not like you're getting ganged up on here or anything. neo-geo.com, the gaming site where people hate gamers.

I have a Xbone and play current games as well so what's your point?

"Hate gamers" my ass.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I have a Xbone and play current games as well so what's your point?

"Hate gamers" my ass.
Happy to be wrong on this. The complaints each time a new SNK game is released/announced have long gotten old, is all.