Fast Striker, a NEW Neo Geo vertizontal shooter from NG:Dev Team!

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Ultimately, arcade operators will determine whether this title is worthwhile or not depending if it is up to snuff as a quartermuncher. I wonder if sales of the consumer versions would actually amount to any significant portion of their profits.

Full agreement there. The test of releasability will simply be test earnings. Difficulties can be adjusted during the test period to help tweak, based on time counts and interviewing the players in the test arcade.

I would say based on my own experience, 1 out of every 10 games we tested would be released. There were some truly notable efforts that didn't make it past testing. For example, the final Coreland game was a true masterpiece. 6 years of hardware and software design. Dual monitor cabinet. Custom controls for the players with shaker motors in each one. A truly gorgeous presentation. And test wise, it earned about 3 dollars a week due to the fact that it was an insanely difficult game. That is also why only one unit exists of this game. Cybertank.

And for your quote of the home market, I would say that the home market version would be most significant earnings for this title due to the market conditions today.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If the arcade release is as critical as some here seem to be assuming, then the team's end goals have shifted completely since the original release of Last Hope. Perhaps a combination of the shift toward profitability and the lucky fact that Neo Geo is still an arcade system with a huge installed base (in addition to a niche home system they can develop homebrew games for).

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
I see now only available the LE+DOUBLE PACK item at the original price of 459 euros.

Last edited:

noCLip

Camel Slug
I see now only available the LE+DOUBLE PACK item at the original price of 459 euros.

i wonder why that one doesnt include a mini marquee, they cant cost that much to make... meh i would be satisfied with the 359 euro package that they did away with. Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone know how much they are charging for the arcade release version?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'm sorry, this just looks bland as fuck - and should have been a $5 iPhone game.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
copy and pasting this review from shmups forum member and beta tester "ave":

1. Sound) The soundtrack's quality ranges between awesome and okay. There are some strong moments though and I would definitely prefer it to the Last Hope OST. Some of the bosses are underlined by pretty pushing tracks but also rather silent ambiences are used in the one or another drifty situation. It's no adrenaline-pumping Cave-OST, but I like it. The SFX are okay, nothing too special, but I think that's no major drawback.

2. Graphics) Visually striking are the impressive 3D render backgrounds, but as some of you had already feared, they turn out to be very monotone after a short time. Opposite to the render backgrounds are the stages and bosses which luckily turned out really imaginative. Stationary machines along with some huge robots, that also divide into several stages during their process of destruction, provide the needed diversity that lacks in the backgrounds. There really is a wide range of different enemies and most of them appear in only one stage - recycling is almost never apparent, apart from popcorn enemies of course.
Something that has been discussed here (I think?) were the many bullet colors and if the game could reproduce the clearness that the Japanese archetype provides. There was a version that had ONLY pink bullets and I assure you that this would have been boring as hell - and it didn't increase visibility a bit. The multicolored bullets are good as they are and I have no more problems to find my way than in any Cave game. If you can play Dodonpachi, you can also play Fast Striker.
The bullets have been redone and look different from those in the trailer. More 2D'ish, just as they should.

3. Game Design) The quality of the game design shows best in Maniac Mode as Novice and Original are aimed at survival (oldschool) gamers rather than at someone who likes to improve highscores. Maniac focusses on the latter: Score & secrets, combined with an as lossless playthrough as possible. There are several secrets hidden in every stage, some of which are easy to find (like shooting two big enemies that both take several seconds to kill), others are not.
The player's rank is displayed in the HUD in all three modes, though only in Maniac Mode it is recommended to push your rank up Devil Rank in which the combo value is twice as high and extra enemies are added to the game (that can be used for intense scoring, of course). Like in other shooters, the rank can be lowered by dying, shield loss or shield use.
As mentioned above, the actual game is way more diversive than the backgrounds. Most stages feature fixed elements that sometimes can be destroyed and also give score (and suicide bullets), this adds a tactical element which can be quite fun to exploit. The enemy placement is sometimes very intelligent and tactical, sometimes not. But from an overall perspective, pretty much any situation regardless of the more or less random enemy placement can be mastered to get the perfect combo. Of course there's still room for improvements, but considering this is the first shot for a score shooting game from NG DEV the game design is really great.

The bullet patterns look very modern and are cleverly arranged for the most part. Some of them reminded me of Cave, but then again they don't: Experienced shmup players will recognize most of the basic patterns as they have been inspired by Japanese shooters, but I believe that the majority has never been used in the same form as in Fast Striker. There is, for instance, a boss that circles you whilst shooting swarms of different bullet patterns. Or a it just vanishes and the player has to dodge a triplet of circling bulletlaunchers that all aim at the centre..
All in all I'm impressed how well the Japanese influence has been adapted and I'm optimistic that the shooting scene will agree. The shot patterns do not just recall a Japanese game by the looks, also the dynamics seem just like (the neo geo version of) an original danmaku shmup in many places.

4. Score-System) Although it seems obvious after a couple of hours playtime that the stage design has not exactly been designed FOR the score system, the motivation that comes along with the scoring enhances the playability a lot and still keeps me playing after quite some weeks. After finishing the game with one credit, I still keep playing for score - the essential for arcade games and modern 2d shooters.
Firstly, there is Novice Mode - a beginner's version of the game that features auto shield and ends after 2/3 of the game. Original Mode features a collecting-based system (collect nuggets but don't miss any, otherwise the combo will go down 25 per missed nugget) with medium difficulty.
The majority of experienced players will choose Maniac Mode over all the others, just for it being the most challenging mode in the game. Maniac exclusively features the Grind Mode-ability of the ship: If you keep shooting an enemy or a fixed object (i.e. a wall) for a certain amount of time, you charge the grind laser&shot. When it is charged, the ship turns green and a Ketsui-like score system is activated: The proximity bonus. By killing enemies in close-range combat whilst being in grind mode, you obtain bonus crystals that add up to 6 hits per killed enemy to your counter (-> http://faststriker.com/mode.html)

The proximity bonus system eliminates a "dodonpachi clone!" impression that one might got after playing the game only very briefly. The more experienced you get, the less important holding up the combo becomes (it's pretty easy in most situations): Instead, taking down all the enemies in close range combat to get as many +6 crystals as possible is the real challenge in maniac mode. And of course you must not die or use shields because it would lower the rank.

CONCLUSION

Fast Striker is connecting the Neo Geo shmup from 1996 with the modern Cave shooter. Technically well done and with lots of content for each kind of player (oldschool & score) the game evolved into a really addictive experience for me. As the scoreplayer who I am, I think the experiment to combine dodonpachi & Ketsui in a modern Neo Geo outfit has been a full success.
Sure, there is room for improvement (enemy placement, backgrounds), but what it wanted to be, it is: a great connection between modern and oldschool gameplay with an impressive technical side. And, most important: it's really fun to play!

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Only seen clips of the game, but from what folks are saying that have played it, it seems good. Hopefully it's a decent game not worth £450 though but no game is.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
fuck; its 6:00pm on the east coast.

had the package sent to the office, and still nothing.

anyone else in the U.S. get their delivery yet?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
had a slip at my house that said i could pick mine up at 9 AM tomorrow morning at the post office..... too bad i wont be able to get by there until like 4 PM or so. haha oh well either way i shall be trying it out tomorrow!

westtrade

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
Just got my copy!! The game plays very well. I am uploading High Quality videos of all the stages to my youtube account right now. 1st one will be up at 11:30 eastern. All video are of the Maniac levels.

I know I am not very good at the game so please dont hurt me too bad on my game play.
I will post all the links to the videos in this post as not to clutter the board. Pics of the mvs kit coming as well.

Pics:
FastStriker1.jpg

FastStriker3.jpg

FastStriker4.jpg

FastStriker5.jpg

cart:
cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart3.jpg

Video1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OG2t3nUZ8

Video 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRddNXIFAo

Video 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TajMzpqnwsE

Video 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ftd8n2HWh4

Video 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyi8pVWH_N0

Video 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2hp7yzxOM

Last edited:

Clessy

Banned
Just got my copy!! The game plays very well. I am uploading High Quality videos of all the stages to my youtube account right now. 1st one will be up at 11:30 eastern. All video are of the Manic levels.

I know I am not very good at the game so please dont hurt me too bad on my game play.
I will post all the links to the videos in this post as not to clutter the board. Pics of the mvs kit coming as well.
Pics now! Also if you know how to take mvs carts apart without damaging them it would be awesome to see what the insides look like.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Got mine today as well. The shipping packaging was excellent.

Really nice looking cart, great looking hardware (prog board has a mini USB connector on it as promised). I took mine apart first thing to check it out, but didn't think to take pics of the boards.

As for the kit, the kit box is white and extra wide. Everything is as expected, but I was disappointed to see that the move strip was printed on gloss paper instead of being a real sticker (or at least printed on heartier stock) and the mini marquee was printed the same way instead of being on clear plastic.

I had some trouble getting the game to work on my 6 slot (unibios 3.0) at first, even after enabling the hardware test as they advise, but swapping the cart to slot 2 seemed to do the trick.

I only had time for a quick sitting, but I played through the first 4 boards on normal, and my impressions are good thus far. The sound track (and audio in general) is well done. The controls work well, with the ability to swap the reverse shot and shield between B and C if you so choose. Holding a shot button will tighten your spread at the expense of maneuverability. The shield implementation is clever, with shield use speeding up your ship and allowing you to ram opponents. Bullets were easy to see and I especially liked the use of multiple colors for the different bullet patterns. Bosses seem well implemented, but again I only did the first few stages on normal. I'll sit down with this later in the week on manic and get a real feel for it, but so far I'm very pleased.

Clessy

Banned
Just got my copy!! The game plays very well. I am uploading High Quality videos of all the stages to my youtube account right now. 1st one will be up at 11:30 eastern. All video are of the Maniac levels.

Holy shit you live in Durham! Can I fucking invite myself over? I live like 30 minutes from you at max ><

If you're on a cab I will play via quaters if you want me to.

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
Hey westtrade,

Thank you very much on behalf of the community for posting the pics and cracking open your cart brother! :buttrock: I hope the label is ok. :)

The boards look definitely one off for sure. :loco:

Thanks for the vid! Keep them coming! :buttrock:

Stage one seems a bit on the short side @ 2min40sec. Really dig the soundtrack! :buttrock:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
The game looks good, but $625 inc shipping for it? Yeesh.

westtrade

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
The label is fine, they used some very good meterial for it. Rest of the videos will be up in the morning. Have to make some Shockbox art now!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I like how they named the PROG and CHA boards the "ROM VAULT" and "Particle Streamer." You can see the extra effort on the design. They knew people would open it and check it out.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Cool pics westtrade, well done :). It sure looks good quality stuff, but I guess it should be at the price.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Recieved my copy yesterday - v happy :multi_co:

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member

Thanks for the video and the pics! :)
The board seems to hold some surprises for the hobbyist. 2 connectors on top? 2 places on the pcb that are place holders for connectors (maybe for the planned LED feature).

The bullet patterns seem to be good and the music seems to be really awesome.
If only the background graphics wouldn't be the same and the same and the same.....

Apart from that, NG Dev Team seems to have created a pretty decent game. Congratulations!

wheelaa

New Challenger
Feel the love! Personally I'm still really enjoying it, more than at first even, now I'm playing a little better life / scorewise.

The label is fine, they used some very good meterial for it. Rest of the videos will be up in the morning. Have to make some Shockbox art now!

It isn't offset printed though so the print quality isn't great compared to the rest of the package. It's also too long for the cart impression which is slightly annoying. Overall though the product is (very) high quality, all the shockbox bits and bobs are offset, posters are great, ost lovely.

I'd be interested in hearing some kit serial nos too if anyone gets a mo. (My shockbox version is 0113, and I'm just wondering if kits are 02xx or similar)

@ Xian Xi - there's a holo sticker on the back of the cart.