Fair price for an AES

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Hi

I've been dabbling with the thought of getting another JPN AES console and a flash cart after years of not owing one. Miss the old beast.

What would be a fair price to look out for ? Would like the unit to be in good condition with an old style stick. Not bothered about boxed also what's the best flash cart to get as I dont think I'll ever be able to get back into AES game collecting?

Thanks

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve been thinking of doing the same but ebay prices are super retarded.

I think if you get a unboxed AES in the UK with a controller for £300, that’s probably a good deal these days.

The best flash cart is the NeoSD Pro but they aren’t making those at the moment. You can get a NeoSD fine for about £350 which plays the same games (but not Neo Geo CD games) but loads them slower than the Pro. There’s also the Darksoft cart which some people hated here but since TerraOnion have been dicks about Krizz in Ukraine perhaps that doesn’t matter anymore. The DarkSoft cart is a little cheaper than the NeoSD but its a moot point as they are still out of stock at the moment.

If you are thinking of importing a AES from outside the UK you might want to try: http://skywaypro123.bravesites.com/neo-geo-hardware

Last edited:

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I probably was stupid for not getting an AES with Samurai spirits 2 for $149 back in 2011 because games like Waku Waku 7 , Mark of the wolves ect we're too much even back then.
I don't care anymore though I just want to get a Neo pocket color again.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I play MAME and literally can't tell the difference.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Oh i have many many ways of playing these game , i just want a console for nostalgia really.

The best place to get good deals on anything Neo would be the direct Japanese market. But if you live outside of the US, tariffs may very well kill the savings for you - especially in the UK as I understand it. Some Japanese proxy services (like From Japan, which I use multiple times a year) will work with you to declare the value on a package to skirt some of these taxes. Just depends on how much trouble you'd like to go through to get what you're looking for. An old member, Digmac, did a good primer on this in the Market threads. He got me into the service a couple years ago, and I haven't looked back since. I purchase the vast majority of all retro games from Japan now.

I 100% get the nostalgia for an AES (it's the bulk of my Neo library). At the same time, if you're after a "console" just to use a Neo SD solution rather than buy individual games so you have the benefits of using original hardware, have you considered going after either a consolized MVS or an MVS with a cheap but reliable supergun? Install a Unibios and viola - you have a covert AES!

Moral of the story, you have options, and you've probably done your homework already. Just thought I'd mention a couple other options that may help provide what you're looking for. :)

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Hi , thanks for tge suggestions :) I already have a supergun and mvs set up , I just miss seeing that AES hooked up lol.

Thanks

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Some Japanese proxy services (like From Japan, which I use multiple times a year) will work with you to declare the value on a package to skirt some of these taxes. :)

Sorry but From Japan does not allow you to do this properly when shipping to the UK.

Most loose AES's consoles sell for around ¥40,000 if they're generally declared to be working, buying through From Japan would only allow you to alter that kind of purchase by about ¥2,500... they will not allow you to outright declare your own shipping value to the UK anymore. Been that way for a few years.

So, yeah, then you'll have to pay domestic shipping fees and the From Japan commision (likely to come in around ¥2,000 for a new member), then it will be in the region of ¥10,000 - ¥15,000 to ship to the UK depending on the service you use (EMS, DHL, FedEx).

When it gets to the UK add 20% VAT and a handling fee (likely to be about £20).

So, no... From Japan is not the way to go for you unfortunately.

Buyee is also out as they don't allow any manipulation of the purchase fee.

That is not to say buying from YHJ! is no longer feasbile for UK dwellers... you just need to pick the right service.

BTW - for NA residents, From Japan is awesome, and I highly recommend them.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Sorry but From Japan does not allow you to do this properly when shipping to the UK.

Most loose AES's consoles sell for around ¥40,000 if they're generally declared to be working, buying through From Japan would only allow you to alter that kind of purchase by about ¥2,500... they will not allow you to outright declare your own shipping value to the UK anymore. Been that way for a few years.

So, yeah, then you'll have to pay domestic shipping fees and the From Japan commision (likely to come in around ¥2,000 for a new member), then it will be in the region of ¥10,000 - ¥15,000 to ship to the UK depending on the service you use (EMS, DHL, FedEx).

When it gets to the UK add 20% VAT and a handling fee (likely to be about £20).

So, no... From Japan is not the way to go for you unfortunately.

Buyee is also out as they don't allow any manipulation of the purchase fee.

That is not to say buying from YHJ! is no longer feasbile for UK dwellers... you just need to pick the right service.

BTW - for NA residents, From Japan is awesome, and I highly recommend them.

Yesh, it's that bad in the UK!? Goodness... Thanks for the update, @Tarma

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Shipping to Canada ain't cheap either. A 14kg package of stuff from YHJ! just cost me £300... :uhoh:

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
ZenMarket allows you to declare prices as you please, at leats the times I've used it it's been that way.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
It's still like that with ZenMarket, they are my preferred proxy service (I tried From Japan too).