Facebook to rebrand next week

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
It is honestly a shame that someone doesn't assassinate Mark Zuckerberg, really is a nation of pussies seeing that there's not one kid bad enough or devoted enough to do it . There was a time where people would do much worse for much less

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Do you really think the corporate culture at Facebook would change without Zuckerberg?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Do you really think the corporate culture at Facebook would change without Zuckerberg?
No. The direction of FB has always been at the behest of the customers: advertisers, research institutions, governments. The problem is that FB devs always wanted to show off their can-do attitude and abilities, and they made a product that is socially destructive and psychologically harmful. Also, the devs only ever gave a shit about users as far as ROI was concerned.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Will they actually change the Facebook name for their site or just have it so everything under a new umbrella name (a la Alphabet for Google)? It'd be really weird to see the Facebook name removed from social media like that.

I remember that one time AT&T changed their wireless name to Cingular then back to AT&T. They knew at some point they're a shit company no matter what their name is.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
No. The time to steer Facebook into a less malicious enterprise, or at least make it harmless, was years ago, Facebook has already become yet another soulless money-oriented automata much like every other company that has a douchebag leader or one that had a leader too weak to handle growth and impose his own values. Everyone inside Facebook is steering the boat like those AIs you see in youtube that are built around a couple of simple parameters to drive around a 2D track or jump over obstacles: more money is good, do action that brings more money. Reduced money? BAD!!!
One man alone does not change much.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Corporate witness protection

"No, I don't have shitty Comcast; I have cool new Xfinity!"

Srsly tho i don't think they'll change the name of Facebook the website / app - just the overall company.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The problem isn't facebook, it is the idiots that use it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The problem isn't facebook, it is the idiots that use it.

Society certainly has some of the blame but there are bad actors using the platform and most certainly Facebook itself has engaged in unethical practices.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
another fucking retarded take from Norton. You should really donate your body to science and put your kids up for adoption so the medical community can figure out why you're such a retard
Well, he's got a point tho. The people on FB are the ones that keep posting the insipid bullshit, antivaxx shit, pro trumpy propaganda. They are the ones that blindly and mindlessly share "MY MOM SENT ME THIS SHE GOT FROM HER COUSIN ABOUT THE NEW ABORTION LAWS" posts and shit.

FB is definitely to blame - but the people using it don't help.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
No he doesn't have a point. The product knows exactly what it's doing and it's manipulated millions of people into spamming and expressing themselves like toxic fuckheads . It's really not the common persons' thought, as it started as harmless way of "blogging". Facebook made all the poor decisions and fully perpetuated a fucking social nightmare. Are Facebook users retarded? Yes. But they're the target audience because of that. It's not helpful to go around blaming the average person for their state of mind, you have to look deeper into what's perpetuating their behavior as they clearly are unable to discipline themselves or hold the ***godlike awareness**** of geniuses such as Norton or any other faggot posting in here

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Not only that, but it's secretly shoehorned itself into childrens' brains as well. Only a truly immature dumbass who spends all day on the internet blames children for getting brainwashed. It's actually very sad that we live in this type of world, and that children have to navigate imposed autism at every corner

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I mean...

...I kinda...

...agree with norton.

Are people to blame when others take advantage of them?

There is an argument to be made that given the known “evil” of Facebook that people should stop using their services.

There is also an argument that Facebook et al are the digital public square…

Even if people were to stop using Facebook the entire internet would still be at the control of corporations who only act in the interests of their shareholders and not their customers.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Are people to blame when others take advantage of them?

There is an argument to be made that given the known “evil” of Facebook that people should stop using their services.

Legally no, but I can certainly question decisions that made them an easier target. Although I'm not seeing the connection between people posting on Facebook.

What are those evils?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Here's the thing... I don't have a facebook (even before I was eligable for an account before they were available to everyone). Not my thing.

My GF has an account. She doesn't get nearly any of the filth you guys talk about. She doesn't engage with idiots on facebook, so it doesn't send her that shit. She doesn't "Like" anything or Dislike anything. She doesn't tell the idiots how dumb and racist they are.

So her feed is 49%:
Pictures of other people's kids.
Weird Consumer Products
Animal Videos

Another 50% is marketplace stuff.

That leaves just 1% of the crap.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Legally no, but I can certainly question decisions that made them an easier target. Although I'm not seeing the connection between people posting on Facebook.

What are those evils?

Evil is not the right word. Unethical is probably more accurate, but that’s be a matter of individual ethics.

Facebook appears to engage in activities and promote/push content via their algorithms that are a net harm to their users well being, data, and security.

There is no doubt in a broader sense Facebook is a product of society’s creation. We’ve done this to ourselves, to an extent, but can we undo it before it’s too late?

Or are we destined for a cyberpunk corporate future? If so I hope I can get a good job at Weyland or Yutani and then sell all my stock after the Merger.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Here's the thing... I don't have a facebook (even before I was eligable for an account before they were available to everyone). Not my thing.

My GF has an account. She doesn't get nearly any of the filth you guys talk about. She doesn't engage with idiots on facebook, so it doesn't send her that shit. She doesn't "Like" anything or Dislike anything. She doesn't tell the idiots how dumb and racist they are.

So her feed is 49%:
Pictures of other people's kids.
Weird Consumer Products
Animal Videos

Another 50% is marketplace stuff.

That leaves just 1% of the crap.

I’ve literally been unfollowing everything that isn’t 100% innocuous and unfollowing people I’m merely acquainted with.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hey... Hey...
We give them what they want
If lust and hate is the candy,
If blood and love taste so sweet,
Then we...
We givem what they want.
Hey, hey,