Evercade thread

Even though I own MiSTer FPGA setup, which feels perfect to me, for some reason I am really enticed by the the Evercade VS (I don't like portables though so no EXP for me), mainly because:

1. You can collect affordable "carts"
2. I love the Indie stuff that runs natively on the machine

I was wondering if someone could give me a good rundown of the machine... Lag, scaling and filter options and general feeling of the system. Basically try to persuade me to get one ... Or stay away from it.

Thanks!

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I think the main selling point is licensed games, on affordable carts that come in a nice case with a color manual. Compare anything else to MIster or your emulation solution of choice, and you're just going to go back to that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Lag is generally about as low as it possibly can be in emulation without using run-ahead in Retroarch. Blaze does a good job (usually) of optimizing the emulators. There aren't many filter options, but the light scanline option looks pretty good to me. One downside on the arcade games specifically is that on some games that aren't 60hz you get some tearing due to the framerate difference. In Mame there are different ways to deal with this, Blaze basically went with the accurate/low lag option. I haven't seen an issue with my TV, but some peoples sets handle things differently and stuff like Rtype can be visibly jerky.

Overall I really like the VS.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
For me the main draw is the indie/homebrew games. I already own or have already played 90% of the other stuff out there.

Indie Heroes Collection 1
Mega Cat Studios Collection 1
Mega Cat Studios Collection 2
Morphcat Games Collection 1
Alwa's Awakening and Cathedral
Xeno Crisis and Tanglewood
Indie Heroes Collection 2 (up for preorder now)

Of all the games on those carts, the only one I'd ever played prior to Evercade was Xeno Crisis, which I got on Neo CD when it came out.

If you were to buy all those games on physical carts for their original platforms you'd be looking at well over a grand. If you were to buy all the ones available digitally you'd still be looking at 3-4X what buying all those carts on Evercade costs, and you'd be missing several games anyway since not all are for sale.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Two new carts announced:

Will be out in April.

Also, Indie Heroes Collection 2 is out now and it's pretty rad.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm just gonna vent here....so, my sister really wanted this modded GB I put together. I told her, I'd give it to her for her Evercade VS. Which, I know doesn't get ANY play or attention....but my nephew who is 15 now, realizes it's the "founders edition" and didn't wanna let her trade it. This frustrates me beyond words because I have gifted so much game shit to that little dude. This is a drunk rant about a 15 year old, yes....but I really wanted an Evercade VS without having to buy one and I am angry. Point being, no more game goodies for that little dude.

edit: hahaha I forgot I wrote this.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
New cart announced. Amiga games from Team 17.

Game list:
  • Alien Breed Special Edition '92
  • Alien Breed II
  • Alien Breed Tower Assault
  • Arcade Pool
  • ATR: All Terrain Racing
  • Body Blows
  • Full Contact
  • Kingpin: Arcade Sports Series Bowling
  • Project X: Special Edition '93
  • Qwak

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Add that to the 20% off order I'll make when the EXP LE arrives with the promised coupon:
  • THEC64 Collection 1
  • THEC64 Collection 2
  • Toaplan Arcade 2
  • Team17 Collection 1
If there's no expiration date, I might wait for one more preorder opportunity. The console stuff is/was hit or miss, but I'm likely all in on the arcade and computer lines.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Looks like the replacement EXPs are in Funstock's hands and will be shipped soon. I'm not sure I care anymore, my old model has an IPS screen now and I don't think they've got the EverSD running on the new model yet. I might just sell it, I dunno.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Huh, I never knew Alien Breed was from the Amiga. I've got the newer versions on Steam and my first thought was "really, Evercade can run that?" haha.

I picked up some newer arcade carts, Gaelco 2, Irem, Toaplan. Some good stuff on those.

If you put both Gaelco carts in a VS console there's an extra game called Bang, which I think is originally a light gun game. I can see why they made this a hidden game, as it's pretty much impossible to play on a thumbpad. Those playing on handheld aren't missing anything here.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They also put out the final firmware update for the OG handheld:

Several new features, bug fixes, emulation improvements, etc.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
My EXP LE appears to be stuck in customs. I knew I should have picked the Mexican cartel shipping. The Feds let them straight in.

edit: It's arrived! I put the screen protector on and am now charging it.

The 20% off code has no expiration date...

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Premature impressions:
  • It has nice heft to it. This makes it feel "premium" but undermines the tate functionality.
  • The screen is nice, though it's worth noting the only OLED portable I own is the original Vita.
  • I installed the screen protector right away, and it is a glare magnet. It doesn't help that I'm used to the anti-glare Steam Deck.
  • I played some Galaga and some 1942 so far, both with "subtle" scanlines. I think I may bump them up, because they're almost invisible.
  • The d-pad is nice. I prefer it to both the Switch Joy Con (obviously) and the Pro Controller, which is too stiff.
I don't think there is any doubt that the Switch with the Flip Grip is still the best way to play portable tate. However, the d-pad difference makes that a little closer than it should be. Setting tate aside, the EXP fits in right where the VS does for me in terms of priority:
  1. PC / Steam Deck (if available and competently ported / emulated)
  2. Switch docked / portable (if available and worth ~$8, the standard Hamster Arcade Archives price point)
  3. Evercade VS / EXP (else)
Given that, I wish the Capcom games were not pre-installed. I am sure I paid for them, and I have essentially no use for them. I literally have all of them on Steam and/or Switch. The EXP is more portable than either of those in terms of size, but if am traveling and potentially risking losing something, it's going to be my GCW Zero.

The biggest value for the Evercade platform in general for me is (1) to get me to try things I wouldn't otherwise in terms of other games on carts I buy for something specific or (2) the computer collections like C64 and Amiga. The EXP just makes that value portable, since I never had the original model.

edit: I forgot to mention that it appears the LE comes with a much nicer case than the regular EXP based on pictures. It's one of those sturdy clamshell designs, like many of the Switch cases and the one included with the Steam Deck.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
If anyone is registered there, someone at GameTZ is selling an EXP CIB for $95 shipped:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Curious - I thought all the Evercade carts had an MSRP of $20...but everything I am seeing now is like $25+....am I missing something or are they just marked up on Amazon?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Curious - I thought all the Evercade carts had an MSRP of $20...but everything I am seeing now is like $25+....am I missing something or are they just marked up on Amazon?
They're all $19.99 at launch but sometimes they go up afterwards depending on the seller.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So Toaplan and C64 II are out.

Also today it was confirmed that a Collectorvision cart is coming soon with 4 indie/homebrew games.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
goddammiiittt, this is gay as fuuuuck and I kinda' want it

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I don't give a shit about the special edition console but remastered versions of Duke I and II with 60 fps, smooth scrolling, re-recorded sound, etc? Hell yes.

The remastered Duke 1&2 is pretty phenomenal. First "system seller" I've seen from them. Hopefully they do more "remasters" like that.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Does a remaster mean the first dos game will no longer be "Nukum"? haha

Last edited: