ESPN layoffs (2017 Edition)

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
The worldwide leader is cutting people left and right for the last couple of days.

From what I've read there's still quite a bit more to follow.

I don't think I ever watch ESPN any more unless there's a college football game on.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
They are saying the layoffs are related to cord-cutters and the subsequent drop in viewership.

Good riddance. Watching arguments based solely on hyperbole is just mush.

Their Title IX agenda pieces, from the WNBA broadcasts to female color commentators of men's sports, had me turn the channel off a long time ago.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Their Title IX agenda pieces, from the WNBA broadcasts to female color commentators of men's sports, had me turn the channel off a long time ago.
The only thing worse than those for me is when they add a female "hostess" as a third wheel to a show that traditionally had two men. She adds zero value but puts a ticky mark on some affirmative action quota somewhere.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think ESPN also paid too much for some licensing deals, and that is really hitting them hard as the TV market is declining.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
They are saying the layoffs are related to cord-cutters and the subsequent drop in viewership.

Well...if they didn't make their shit impossible to watch, maybe that wouldn't have happened. I can't do a damn thing with ESPN because I have to provide subscription info to a cable/sat provider in order to watch it.

HBO figured this shit out...finding your viewership down and piracy of your stuff up? Then break off from cable and offer your services ala carte.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
Recently they have had too many damn analyst shit was bound to happen. The fact that FUCKING Trent Dilfer was getting paid to critique quarterbacks is hilarious. Glad he got his ass layed off.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's fucking bullshit that I have to pay Disney $80 a year for this shit.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
You don't. There are other options like Sony Vue, Sling TV, and others which are much much cheaper. Vue offers ESPN and FOX Sports for $30.00 a month along with plenty of other channels. The only additional fees is your local sales tax.

Yea, it isn't the same quality as cable HDTV but is $50 more a month really worth a 'slightly' better picture? Not to me.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
ESPN has been political lately and it's turning off a lot of people. They got rid of Sage Steele because she's a black republican that didn't agree with the airport protests and she got canned as a result.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
I stopped because of the constant leBron talk.

"Bryce Harper hit 7 grand slams today and saved a bus full of orpha----

BREAKING NEWS!!!!! LeBron got a new head band- lets go live with Ed to discuss how the angle of the emblem might affect his Ppg"

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member

BREAKING NEWS!!!!! LeBron got a new head band- lets go live with Ed to discuss how the angle of the emblem might affect his Ppg"

Take that anti-Lebron shit out of here. Down 3-1 and beat the warriors !!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I don't give a shit about sports or ESPN, but these layoffs (and last year's) are bullshit. ESPN makes about $7 per subscriber per month. In 2011 they had 100 million subscribers. That's 8.4 billion fucking dollars a year, if I'm doing my math correctly.

They now have about (more than) 85 million subscribers. That's still 7.1 billion dollars a year. They're not in financial trouble. At all. They're trending downward, but that's no excuse to fire so many people, especially since they're the ones doing their jobs. Leadership members are the ones not adapting to the expectations of modern TV viewers.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I hope Ed Werder gets picked up by NFL Network or one of the other stations. He's a quality reporter.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
When will they learn the MONOPOLY model only works for Professional Sports teams.
BB

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
ESPN has been political lately and it's turning off a lot of people. They got rid of Sage Steele because she's a black republican that didn't agree with the airport protests and she got canned as a result.

I thought that she was fired for being political?

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I just wish Skip Bayless was still there, so he could get laid off.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member

LeWho? Sports media has had a mouthful of Harden and Westbrook this whole season, not much talk of LeBron.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
They now have about (more than) 85 million subscribers. That's still 7.1 billion dollars a year. They're not in financial trouble. At all. They're trending downward, but that's no excuse to fire so many people, especially since they're the ones doing their jobs. Leadership members are the ones not adapting to the expectations of modern TV viewers.
Cable's dirty secret is that most of your subscription goes to very few channels, and they're probably not what you watch. If there's an exodus from forced-bundle services, ESPN loses big time.

CableChartsFinalWrap.png

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I just wish Skip Bayless was still there, so he could get laid off.

Fuck off I love Skip... Like Shannon a bit more but Skip is generally dead right with what he says.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Skip is a twat. Not on the level of Jim Rome, but still a twat. I miss Shannon's lisp.