ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE 2016 - 20XX Onwards...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Holee shit, Fat Frank Lampard got axed.

On one hand kind of unexpected, on the other, though... he could've already been axed last season, but was lucky to get the CL ticket. Guess luck's run out. Chelsea under Tuchel could be interesting. I'm especially eager to see what he'll make out of Havertz.

BTW I love how the Hammers progress, Moyes finally building up his second coming after Everton. Also: I watched José vs. Jürgen yesterday. The game delivered, once again, Mourinho's pissed expressions were a priceless treat.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Tuchel has never impressed. He had some fantastic teams to manage between BVB and PSG, and CFC is the shittiest squad of the three in terms of talent. He won’t last.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
He's kind of obnoxious, but was able to learn from the mistakes he made in Dortmund. PSG's performance at the CL final against Munich last year was in my opinion quite good. I'm not a fan of Chelsea either, but Tuchel could fit there.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
He's kind of obnoxious, but was able to learn from the mistakes he made in Dortmund. PSG's performance at the CL final against Munich last year was in my opinion quite good. I'm not a fan of Chelsea either, but Tuchel could fit there.

I think the only reason being that he's got a knack for nurturing German youth I suppose, but I have to agree with Wasabi here....that fuckwad Abramovic will axe him once things become tough.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I think the only reason being that he's got a knack for nurturing German youth I suppose, but I have to agree with Wasabi here....that fuckwad Abramovic will axe him once things become tough.

I'm quite emotionless about Tuchel, can't imagine anybody wanting him back in the Bundesliga anyway. Still, Chelsea has some talented players, it would be a shame to waste them, hence my curiosity.

On another topic, I saw a short feature about statistics regarding audience-free games in comparison with filled stadiums. The numbers are still too young to be definitive about them, but the first empirically observable differences are quite predictable: less cards, less conflicts during games or even more goals. The managers obviously have more direct influence on players and the whole thing, as it is now, bears a heavy similarity with a practice game. I even began to wonder if this was an advantage for Munich to win the CL. Hmm...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm quite emotionless about Tuchel, can't imagine anybody wanting him back in the Bundesliga anyway. Still, Chelsea has some talented players, it would be a shame to waste them, hence my curiosity.

On another topic, I saw a short feature about statistics regarding audience-free games in comparison with filled stadiums. The numbers are still too young to be definitive about them, but the first empirically observable differences are quite predictable: less cards, less conflicts during games or even more goals. The managers obviously have more direct influence on players and the whole thing, as it is now, bears a heavy similarity with a practice game. I even began to wonder if this was an advantage for Munich to win the CL. Hmm...

Source? Sounds worth looking into.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My quick research shows that the source is a study done by the University of Salzburg, unfortunately I couldn't find any free content. Der Spiegel had an article, but I'm not signed in. Then there's this Swiss correspondent here.

I can just give you the headlines in German and the according translation, first Spiegel then that Swiss site:

Seit Wochen erleben wir Fußball ohne Fans - und ohne ihren Einfluss auf ... Es werden mehr Fouls gegen Heimteams gepfiffen, bei den Gastteams ist ein ... in Spielen ohne Zuschauer deutlich weniger zu beobachten sind".

Since weeks we see football without fans - and their influence on ... More fouls are whistled against home teams, visiting teams are ... in games without audience clearly less visible".

Wie Geisterspiele den Fussball verändern

Ohne Zuschauer fehlen dem Fussball die Emotionen. Aber es gibt weniger Streit und Diskussionen mit dem Schiedsrichter und dem Gegner, zeigt eine Studie der Universität Salzburg.

How Ghostgames change football

Without audience football lacks emotions. But there's less dispute and discussions with the referee and the opponent, shows a study from the University of Salzburg.

Couldn't find anything in English, maybe it's too controversial yet to point out arguments for audience-free sports? Or it's just too early to be definitive about any studies. Still interesting enough to mention it. Maybe you can find more about it in American news papers or magazines.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
My quick research shows that the source is a study done by the University of Salzburg, unfortunately I couldn't find any free content. Der Spiegel had an article, but I'm not signed in. Then there's this Swiss correspondent here.

I can just give you the headlines in German and the according translation, first Spiegel then that Swiss site:

Couldn't find anything in English, maybe it's too controversial yet to point out arguments for audience-free sports? Or it's just too early to be definitive about any studies. Still interesting enough to mention it. Maybe you can find more about it in American news papers or magazines.

Quite interesting to say the least. Wondering with COVID persisting and all, could this be the future?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Wondering with COVID persisting and all, could this be the future?

Let's hope not, to say the least ;).

Anyway, another weekend, another game. This time I was glad to see the Gunners taking advantage of Vardy's recovery time, I'd say he's only about 60% back, and winning the game against Leicester. Finally a good effort from Willian, too.

Then there was this quite dull 0:0 where neither Chelsea nor United delivered. Kanté was great to watch, though.

Is Liverpool back? I don't know. The 0:2 against Sheffield took some doing, almost as if they played against a top four team and not PL's last. It's still three points, all right, but there's doubt that Klopp will find the right tone to keep his decimated team from a burnout. I guess time will tell.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Congrats to Leicester on the FA Cup. Glad to see Chelski losing it this year (though they could with a Champions League).

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Now that the 2020-2021 season is over, any thoughts at all about it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Now that the 2020-2021 season is over, any thoughts at all about it?
Man Utd was the least convincing runner up I can remember. Always finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

I don’t buy Arteta’s claims that forces were at work against him from within. His team simply lacks requisite talent to remain. In top contention.

Liverpool making top 4 felt like those world cups where some joke team wins over superior teams to make it to knockout, as if FIFA wants to make a point (usually anti racism, but it serves to make more racism or acrimony instead. There’s virtue in taking your losses like a man.) Klopp should be more ashamed than proud here at being assisted by the FA. Every LFC fan should be ashamed.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Man Utd was the least convincing runner up I can remember. Always finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

I don’t buy Arteta’s claims that forces were at work against him from within. His team simply lacks requisite talent to remain. In top contention.

Liverpool making top 4 felt like those world cups where some joke team wins over superior teams to make it to knockout, as if FIFA wants to make a point (usually anti racism, but it serves to make more racism or acrimony instead. There’s virtue in taking your losses like a man.) Klopp should be more ashamed than proud here at being assisted by the FA. Every LFC fan should be ashamed.
LOL!!! The FA always makes an exception with Loserpool. They always get away with shit.

Arteta needs to fucking loosen up and get rid of the deadwood. His tactical rigidity has cost Arsenal points and why th' fuck did he EVER get Willian I will never know. Worst signing ever.

And fuck Chel$ki. I hate that they won the Champions League today....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What a day! First the FC cheats death with a 1 : 5 after an abysmall piece of shit they presented in Köln last Wednesday and then Tuchel proves me right: Chelsea has done it! Lampard puts together a dream team with a nice German emphasis, then Tuchel, a deservedly despised man, shows he actually has character. Great Havertz, an even greater Chillwell and my absolute favorite Kanté.

Kudos to Pep for being a Gentleman looser, but really, he blew it with his stubborn approach of playing w/o a classic striker. Why not tag-team hat trick hero Agüero together with De Bruyne's genius for assists and bring this baby home? I'll leave the answer to Pep himself. I admit that neither team stands high in my book as a favorite, but this chilling final will definitely stand pretty high in my regards.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Aguero isn’t a 24 hour party people. He rests more than he plays. His injuries are jokes. Maybe it’s conservation of energy. It looks more like he doesn’t want to play unless he has to.

I’m glad Chelsea won. Havertz deserved it. He’s the best young player in the PL and will overtake KDB sooner than later.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
In my blind enthusiasm for what I called "a nice German emphasis" during this CL final, I forgot to mention a very nasty foul play by Rüdiger against De Bruyne. Seems like we Germans have a tradition of knocking down key players from our adversaries, Tony Schumacher scandalous knock down of Patrick Battiston in 1982 shall never be forgotten. Even if De Bruyne didn't loose his teeth, Rüdiger follows Schumacher's infamous trail. Could this have been a red card? Maybe. It's too bad, because Rüdi's defense work was otherwise flawless.

Anyway, there was another excellent game last week, the UEFA Europa League final. Its absolutely thrilling penalty shootout will be well remembered, especially the tête-à-tête of both goalkeepers, in which one of them draw the shorter straw. I'm happy for the deserved Emery comeback after his PL disaster and that his Villarreal could beat the five times higher budget of ManU. Solskjær's look, as if he was afraid of his own shadow, was priceless. Congratulations for being second in the PL, but here he was clearly outgunned by Emery. To my personal joy, I might add.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In my blind enthusiasm for what I called "a nice German emphasis" during this CL final, I forgot to mention a very nasty foul play by Rüdiger against De Bruyne. Seems like we Germans have a tradition of knocking down key players from our adversaries, Tony Schumacher scandalous knock down of Patrick Battiston in 1982 shall never be forgotten. Even if De Bruyne didn't loose his teeth, Rüdiger follows Schumacher's infamous trail. Could this have been a red card? Maybe. It's too bad, because Rüdi's defense work was otherwise flawless.

Anyway, there was another excellent game last week, the UEFA Europa League final. Its absolutely thrilling penalty shootout will be well remembered, especially the tête-à-tête of both goalkeepers, in which one of them draw the shorter straw. I'm happy for the deserved Emery comeback after his PL disaster and that his Villarreal could beat the five times higher budget of ManU. Solskjær's look, as if he was afraid of his own shadow, was priceless. Congratulations for being second in the PL, but here he was clearly outgunned by Emery. To my personal joy, I might add.
Nasty foul? KDB blindly ran into Rudiger’s shoulder. Dude plz.

Sergio Ramos is dirty. Pepe is dirty. Ryan Shawcross is dirty. But not Rudiger.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
As for the Europa final, sure, congrats to Unai and Villarreal, but DDG threw the entire shootout. He didn’t care. It was obvious. He doesn’t have IT anymore.
The bright side is that Man Utd will probably sign Pau Torres in the coming weeks.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Nasty foul? KDB blindly ran into Rudiger’s shoulder. Dude plz.
Though I saw it the other way around, with R. knowing what he did, the referee's decision was in my opinion adequate enough to put it ad acta.
As for the Europa final, sure, congrats to Unai and Villarreal, but DDG threw the entire shootout. He didn’t care. It was obvious. He doesn’t have IT anymore.
The bright side is that Man Utd will probably sign Pau Torres in the coming weeks.
He's also Spanish, haha. But you could indeed be on the right track here. About the possible Torres transfer, yeah, that's the kind of answer I expect from a club five times bigger than Villarreal after loosing with the latter's team. Unimaginative, but potent nonetheless.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Though I saw it the other way around, with R. knowing what he did, the referee's decision was in my opinion adequate enough to put it ad acta.

He's also Spanish, haha. But you could indeed be on the right track here. About the possible Torres transfer, yeah, that's the kind of answer I expect from a club five times bigger than Villarreal after loosing with the latter's team. Unimaginative, but potent nonetheless.
Do you know how Cristiano Ronaldo was scouted by Man United?

How do you think big clubs work? They look for talent in their opponents. Anyhow, Pau Torres would be a good pick up, but Varane is also a potential target. Either would work well with Maguire.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
So guys....uhmmm....any predictions for silly season 2021?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think it’s Man Utd’s season, knowing what Sancho can do. Man City will compete strong, but KDB will reinjure his knee and be out for the season. Never going to heal right. A tragedy as he’s the best mf in the game.