Elizabeth Bathory is subtly telling Eric Lecarde that she's not interested in getting speared by him...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
@Takumaji
I tried that enhanced patch of Castlevania: Bloodlines on Genesis that you recommended, but, the revolving wheels and their safe spots in level 4 aren't visible, so, that area was impassable (short of using save states)! Some kind of bug I'm guessing. Looks like a big CD/DVD! 🤣
IMG_20220620_074751736_HDR3_1_800x400.jpg

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Woah, I've been there and there were gears, not CDs :)

Going to check the version I have on cart and post it here, then we can compare them.

@M

20 Year Member
The patch contained two different file options, one for Lecarde with blonde hair, the other green locks. I went with blonde. It's hard to imagine that hair color edit messing up those spinning sprite graphics, but, maybe? You can't see them, but, they're still "there" and can and will kill you quickly.

I played straight through from the start up to that point and didn't notice anything else amiss. Could just be my AliExpress handheld being fruity too I suppose, but, I've never noticed anything like that with any of the many dozens of other ROMs I've tried on it...

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Could just be my AliExpress handheld being fruity too I suppose, but, I've never noticed anything like that with any of the many dozens of other ROMs I've tried on it...

This would be my first assumption. Are the gears present on this emulator using the unpatched rom? Does Gunstar Heroes work?

@M

20 Year Member
I'll check the unpatched Bloodlines ROM later and let you know. I don't currently have Gunstar Heroes on the device; what area/sprite(s) in that game do you feel would be potentially problematic?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I didn't have any specific part in mind, but it's the first game that comes to mind when I think of developers using programming tricks to make the hardware do things like sprite rotation.

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
Allrighty, I just fired up and tried the unpatched Bloodlines (USA) ROM and it was the same thing, those rotating hazards are still not visible on level 4. It must be a problem with the emulator or the hardware.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone ever put out an improved custom firmware for the x7.

@M

20 Year Member
I just downloaded Gunstar Heroes and played a couple of levels of that and all of the graphics I observed looked okay.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Interesting, now I'm intrigued to know more about the bug which seems really specific to me. What's so special about the gears that they are affected by it while other foreground objects are not?

@M

20 Year Member
It is rather odd, when the handheld could handle all the other sprite manipulation in the game up to that point without any problems (you'd think it'd have difficulty with the Leaning Tower of Pisa's rocking/spinning too).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Just played the revised version on cart on my model-1 MD up to level 4 and everything looks and works as normal, gear still lets you advance.

Unfortunately, the CV Remake does not show the software version like most other remakes (Mortal Kombat, SFII' SCE, etc.) but as it has been mentioned, it's most probably the emu that is to blame here. If you are still interested in the specific version, I could mail the creator of the cart and ask for more info.

@M

20 Year Member
Thank you for offering, Tak, but, that's not necessary. Like I told you in chat, I still have my original Genesis cart of Bloodlines anyway, so, it's not a big deal if my X7 doesn't want to run the ROM perfectly.