Easy DOA Stick Mod For Those of You Wanting To Play Some SF2 on XBLA

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
lithy said:
Funny that this thread pops up just as I'm working on a write-up to mod the Hori Wii Stick (which is identical to this one) with all Sanwa parts. I'll be posting it in Next Gen when it is done with pictures for anyone that wants to do it it will work for all non-HRAP Hori sticks.

If anyone is looking to do this simpler mod though I have two spare Sanwa square gates.

Looking forward to the mod. I bought a octagonal gate already, otherwsie I might check out that square one you've got.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Let me know when you have the mod done.

I was working and brainstorming again with this stick and found that you can also swap the stock spring for a sanwa.

I can also get the sanwa mounted in there but it's gonna take some cutting on the sanwa base to get it in there. Of course I wouldn't be using the sanwa circuit board. You can mount regular cherry switches in the sanwa base. The only problem I saw was getting the base to sit flush against the panel.

You also have to use the hori "stick" as well because the sanwa is too long.

I gotta get this thing working right soon. SF HD is coming!:buttrock:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
jsjesse said:
Let me know when you have the mod done.

I was working and brainstorming again with this stick and found that you can also swap the stock spring for a sanwa.

I can also get the sanwa mounted in there but it's gonna take some cutting on the sanwa base to get it in there. Of course I wouldn't be using the sanwa circuit board. You can mount regular cherry switches in the sanwa base. The only problem I saw was getting the base to sit flush against the panel.

You also have to use the hori "stick" as well because the sanwa is too long.

I gotta get this thing working right soon. SF HD is coming!:buttrock:

I just installed the octagonal gate and it works like a charm. Took me about a half an hour, but it was worth the time. Gonna try it out some more tonight. Thanks again!

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
what do you guys recommend to add to the bat top the one I used on my tekken keeps unscrewing itself...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hewitson said:
I'll never understand how you Americans play with those "bat tops". They are horrible. Absolutely horrible. :)
Again with this?you outsider!:mad:

I not only would school you on a abt top, but by golly I would send you back to wherever you spawned out of with a ball top too.:p

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Well, I totally destroyed my last Hori stick because of a crappy soldering iron.

I bought a new one today and it was a complete success!

DSCN2155.jpg

DSCN2156.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

My other stick had an authentic Sanwa in it and I decided to keep this one modified with just a Sanwa Gate, Shaft Cover, Skirt and Bat Top. Side by side I could not feel the difference. Not worth the trouble IMO.

Now if I could get a Seimitsu LS5601 in there THEN I'd consider it but as of now this stick is cherry!

Man, what a difference these sanwa buttons make! So comfortable!

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Just an update.

I finally took the dive and slapped a real JLF Sanwa stick into the EX2 and holy crap it was a bitch to do.

A dremmel nightmare! It definitely doesn't feel cheap anymore, but I wouldn't go through the trouble again.

I also did another mild mod on another stick using seimitsu buttons and a white bat top. That one came out really well. I kept the stock stick parts so it's a bit shorter than the Sanwa JLF but still performs very well.

There is definitely a button difference between Sanwa and Seimitsu. The Sanwas feel like air cushions compared to the Seimitsus.

DSCN2184.jpg

DSCN2183.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm bumping these thread 'cause there's lots of SSF2THDR players that want something better with their stock hori sticks, so there you go.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Good looking out. I found this earlier and I just put a gate in my newly acquired EX2 and put a bat top on it. This thing is the prefect size for me. Love it.

I wasn't planning on doing the buttons, but I think I'm going to go get some Sanwas and throw those in there too.

SFIV can't come soon enough.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
bumping this thread again for some new SF4 players wanting to mod their sticks

D

dirtybacon

Hori stick PS3 vs. Xbox360

Hey, I'm trying to mod my PS3 hori, and need help. Every mod I see online is modding the 360 stick, which only has 6 buttons on the face. The ps3 has 8. My question is, are the buttons the same size? I can't see any info anywhere, but when I measure the buttons they are JUST over 24mm, which lends me to believe that the buttons are smaller then the 360.

My issue is trying to figure out which Sanwa buttons to buy.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Ok, does anyone have a template for the art? I was kinda planning on using this

akuma_sf4_top.jpg

or

Street_Fighter_6_Cover_by_UdonCrew.jpg

I obviously would need to stretch it out

any help is appreciated.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Why don't you do one with Rufus you fucking mediocre shoto whore!

Actually I wanted to comment on the new SFIV sticks, the TE is quite nice and well wort the money with zero modifications needed at less you want to put a couple of plugs in to keep it classy with 6 buttons only. The other stick is not bad at all, at least the parts are nicer than the standard EX2 made by hori, but it does cost more money, however modification is a piece of cake considering the alternative.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Rufus? Haha fuck that!

Im actually in quite the conundrum, my EX2 is modded with a Bat top right now, and i went to Lizard Lick to order new parts but not sure if ill need a new shaft along with the bubble Seimitsu that i was going to order. I already know which octagonal gate ill need, but still unsure if ill need more parts...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I put on the Sanwa gate, and it makes a HUGE improvement to the stick. I can actually perform double fireball motions in either direction, and do Kim's SDM in Fatal Fury Special EVERY TIME. Sweet.

One question though-to install the bat top, do you need to get a new shaft too or does the ball on the DOA stick unscrew from the shaft? I wanted to check before I risk breaking the stick trying to unscrew it.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I put on the Sanwa gate, and it makes a HUGE improvement to the stick. I can actually perform double fireball motions in either direction, and do Kim's SDM in Fatal Fury Special EVERY TIME. Sweet.

One question though-to install the bat top, do you need to get a new shaft too or does the ball on the DOA stick unscrew from the shaft? I wanted to check before I risk breaking the stick trying to unscrew it.

you should be able to use the same shaft. I have a PS3 Soul Calibur 4 stick i popped a fresh balltop on. I believe both of these hori controllers use the same joystick. Yes, the Sanwa gate makes a hell of a difference.

Eggy

Rugal's Thug
when modifying the gate, do I have to drill new holes or do I only need to make the existing holes bigger? I compared some pics of regular gates and yours and the stock ones already had the holes.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I drilled through the little holes that were already there. Well, they aren't really holes, but it's an indention with a tab sticking up from the other side. It is in the perfect spot.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Forgive the ignorance but why the need for this mod. I have both a doa and wii hori but don't play fighting games enough to tell anything.