Earth Defense Force Arcade vs SNES

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So I've been going back and forth with DZ about this game for a few weeks now. He sides with the Jamma board and I side with the SNES cart.

I like the extra weapons and the extra level, I know the game feels a bit easier on the SNES 'cause the bosses are easier but to me the experience on the cart is so much more rewarding. Better BGM and better stages, I still like the arcade though, I like the difficulty and I like the raw feel to the game.

SNES is boss though, like an update to the original. I wish that the higher difficulties would bring the bosses and mid bosses bullet patterns form the arcade but no cigar, the game becomes harder for sure, but the arcade has this awesome transformations on the bosses and the sprites actually make use of the cannons and what have you.

OK, so hopefully there are more EDF lovers out there and we're not alone here.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I've always enjoyed the SNES version but I haven't tried the PCB (or rom) to compare. This gives me reason to - didn't realize the number of differences.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I just learned last night that the SNES and SFC versions of the E.D.F have some noticeable differences between each other (enemy patterns, instruments used for the music).

I've yet to play the AC original, however I should soon. It very well may be one of those Inferior Hardware Port > OG kind of games.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm glad you mentioned it, I wasn't aware but I'm gonna check it out.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Does the snes version suffer from slowdown ? I haven't played this particular game.. but most of the other shooters do have occasional slowdown like UN squadron..

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Does the snes version suffer from slowdown ? I haven't played this particular game.. but most of the other shooters do have occasional slowdown like UN squadron..

Suffer and slowdown don't belong in the same sentence.

Jim Henson must have run out of brains that worked when he made you.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I just learned last night that the SNES and SFC versions of the E.D.F have some noticeable differences between each other (enemy patterns, instruments used for the music).

I've yet to play the AC original, however I should soon. It very well may be one of those Inferior Hardware Port > OG kind of games.

Hmm....gonna have to give this version a whirl.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member

Is there some place to read about those changes? A quick look at Google didn't help and I haven,t decided which version to pursue, SNES or SFC.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member

Super EDF was first generation SNES shumps so it suffers from slowdown............

One thing I didn't know is that the difference between SFC & SNES..................

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
sometimes i do prefer the console versions of a game.