earplugs - festivals/parties/etc

earplugs?

• I wear them at every concert.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I never do, but I should.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I only wear them when it's really too loud.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I really don't care, earplugs are for sissies.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Worst. Thread. Ever.

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Do you guys wear earplugs at concerts or other places with loud music?
Lately I've been more and more worried about my hearing. A couple of months ago, after partying at a club I had to deal with ringing in my ears for nearly 3 days, so that really made me worry.

Last week I actually had to flee from Air's performance at Werchter because they were playing so loud, the bass felt like you were being punched in the stomach. -- I got back a bit later after purchasing earplugs at one of the stands and still enjoyed the show.

I'll defineatly be taking earplugs with me to all the concerts I go to in the future, I don't need no permanent ringing in my ears by the time I'm 30.

Last edited:

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
I don't usually, but my doctor has been yelling at me to start. I'm diabetic, and apparently that makes me more at risk for everything...including hearing loss.

Don't ask me why, I have no fucking clue.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
NEVAR :buttrock:

Gladly I never had this kind of issues.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
NEVAR :buttrock:

Gladly I never had this kind of issues.

haha same thing.

been going to various techno, etc... parties close to 10 years now.

last physical I asked them to do a hearing test (and this was a high end one where I had to go and sit in a soundproof booth /w the headphones on) my ears were good as gold.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
I bought some expensive ass earplugs about ten years ago to help prevent and loss of hear I might get form djing and going to show, but 9 times out of 10 I forget to bring them with.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I don't use them at Concerts-I did use earplugs at my old Job as I had to

...I do you them however when I go with my dad to the Firing Range..

c9663a32.jpg

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Generally it's option #4 for me, with the exception of our annual touring car city race (Norisring Race, formerly known as 200 Miles of Nuremberg), standing next to a phalanx of accelerating 800 PS monsters with open exhausts is really ear-bending...

But... music/clubbing with ear plugs?!? NO WAY.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I try yo use them when I shoot most of the time. Maybe 1 in 10 times I don't have ear plugs.

Anything more powerful then a .22LR is just deafening (well most shotgun
s don't bother me either).

I've never used them at a concert, though one time I wished I had. I guess I don't go to really loud concerts :(

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
That sucks... my ears have permanent ringing. Too many concerts I guess.

BTW: Ear plugs are for sissies

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Never wear when I go to concerts and if whomever's playing is too loud, I just either step outside until the next song or act appears or go in a corner and just try my best to ignore them until someone better comes on stage.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i've lost an amount of my hearing from alot of concerts,
i go out at least once a week and i often try to get as close up
as i can, which tends to mean being real close to whatever
sound system there is. i carry earplugs all my pants, i don't
necessarily use it all the time, but i do have them if i need them.
and my hearing is that if there's background noise like
a restuarant or bar I have a hard time hearing unless they're
right next to me and i end up asking people to repeat things alot.
if you have to ask yourself if you should be wearing earplugs then
you may want to pick up a pack of some cheap ones at the store.

question though, what are some good ear plugs if i wanted to invest
some decent money in some?

muffinman943

Banned
I have messed my ears up enough as it is, and used to go to concerts about once a month. After the Warped Tour, my left ear has been ringing constantly. This ringing isn't distracting, but it is a bad sign if I still hear ringing after 2 years.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I only wear earplugs when I sleep.

Otherwise, I love it loud! :buttrock:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Going to definitely bring ear plugs when I go see The Police this Wednesday night.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
<-buys earplugs in bulk.

wears them at movies, work, sleep, bus, etc.

I take concerts for granted and haven't been to one in years. :crying:

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
earplugs at a concert? bah

Maybe I have some shit hearing but I've never been to a concert or party SO loud that I was worried for my health. Of course my ears do ring for like a day afterward, but I'm as good as new right back after.

I guess if it ever gets to the point to where it's too loud for me, everyone present is going deaf.

Last edited:

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Arthas said:
earplugs at a concert? bah

Maybe I have some shit hearing but I've never been to a concert or party SO loud that I was worried for my health.

That only happened to me only once, but I wasn't all that worried about my health, it just drove me nuts, I had to get out of there. I know it sounds stupid but it was just too much, and I'm someone who's seen over 100 concerts during the past year or so, so I'm used to quite a lot.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
smuf said:
That only happened to me only once, but I wasn't all that worried about my health, it just drove me nuts, I had to get out of there. I know it sounds stupid but it was just too much, and I'm someone who's seen over 100 concerts during the past year or so, so I'm used to quite a lot.
Must have been pretty damn loud then eh. hehe

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Julianne Moore tells this to Clive Owen in "Children of Men",

"You know that ringing in your ears? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again."

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I always do when I go to shows. I got tired of the whole morning after buzzing... that sometimes lasted to the next morning. Actually now I prefer it, at first it's just so different of a sound, but it removes a lot of the harshness from the highs and I've found I can really hear mids and vocals better live now... Plus I go to a ton of shows, I'd be completely deaf otherwise.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
At first, I didn't, until I started noticing some noticeable hearing loss (yeah, noticing noticeable, shut up). I'd come home from the club with ringing so bad I could hardly hear anything and I have tinnitus like crazy.

For a while, I always wore ear plugs in the club with no exceptions (sometimes even in the DJ booth, damn deaf DJs keep the monitor up so loud it's stupid), then I stopped going so much so I got out of the habit. These days, I only bother to take them with me if it's a place I know will have the system turned up too loud.

If I ever resume going in those places regularly, you can bet your ass I'll be using earplugs all the time again.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Never had a problem with ringing other than a Rammstein/Soulfly concert around 2000.

I should, but don't.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I wear earplugs when i play drums, and sometimes when i play bass, depending on how loud it gets...

or how hard i hit.:buttrock:

SSS

neo retired
SnairDogg said:
Julianne Moore tells this to Clive Owen in "Children of Men",

"You know that ringing in your ears? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again."

That's true, I've failed my last group of hearing tests. It's bad when you're not sure they are sounding a tone because you hear the ringing in your ears as well.

I think in my case it was a combination of listening to music too loud over the years, and being exposed to heavy machinery for some number of years at work.

You might not get ringing in the traditional sense. I have a normal constant ringing in the right ear, but the sound of faint crickets chirping in the left. I don't really notice it during the day due to ambient noise in the enviroment.

There is no set cure. There supposedly is some treatments that will calm the nerves and may dull the sound. Alot of people who have it bad try listening to white noise while they fall asleep. They claim you can "retune" your ear and eliminate the effects.