Early NEO-AES board bad jailbars can't find a fix.

Terabyte

n00b
I have an early NEO-AES board, USA. It has jailbars and video quality is not that great on RGB because of it. I have looked for anything related to this specific board model but haven't found anything that has fixed it. I cannot cut traces to RGB because those traces aren't there on this board model, the trace cuts look to be only for rev 3-6 boards. I have replaced certain capacitors and resistors near the video output plug but nothing has made a difference (Replaced certain 100uf caps with 470uf caps and other caps with identical values thinking caps being old may be the issue, this was suggested on others boards/forums/sites for first version boards). The board model just shows "NEO-AES" no other numbers next to it. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yfHFW2b

I'm using retro-access rgb/scart cables and a framemeister. I also have a NeoGeo CDZ but that unit works flawlessly as far a video output goes, load times is another story lol.

:help:

Last edited:

Terabyte

n00b
Nothing? I figured this would've been the definitive spot to ask.:oh_no: Any other forums, users or anything else where I can find more information of ask?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Post a pic of the jailbars and of your system's wiring.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
That system originally had the daughterboard as that insulator shows. Someone removed it and perhaps didn't do it right.

NEO-AES (daughterboard)'''''.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Where are you located? I think I have a few daughter boards

Terabyte

n00b
Where are you located? I think I have a few daughter boards

Florida, USA

Do you really think the daughter board was removed? My friend swears it was never opened and when I added the Unibios I never noticed anything amiss with soldering. I did replace a few resistors and caps but thats it. I did the cap and resistor replacement in hopes of improving the output, but it didn't make it better or worse.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
This is not the very first NEO AES board. Note the J3 jumper near the encoder that's not present on the earlier NEO AES. Personally I've always seen this second NEO AES fitted with the daughterboard but looking at the pic yours does look untampered with. The daughterboard would only improve composite video so if you're having issues with RGB it must be something else.