Early bids on ebay

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I just used bin on an intergalactic skeletor when my bid was too low but still .50 below the bin on the other with four or so hours left on the auction one:back:(this is one of those times I wish I could actually be clearer_ sorry Mr Hansen!). whoever won the auction paid like 3-4$ more than the bin price I got.

anyhow... http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ays-before-they-end-on-eBay&highlight=bidding [merge-maybe?]

I'm going to use him to make a techno faker with the damaged faker head it comes with, fun.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Some people have opposing approaches or methods with eBay. What you are describing is only your perspective...

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
If an auction has a starting bid of like 99 cents, I'll bid that just so I can have an easier time tracking the auction.

My personal view, though, is if I really want an item, I'm going to try to bid first and I'm going to bid my maximum. If I do get outbid, I'll consider my bidding options after that based on how rare the item is and/or how much I want it. If it doesn't show up on ebay very often, I would rather risk overpaying than not getting the item at all.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'd only snipe, and put in my max bid the first time. If I get outbid by another sniper, then so be it.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
If an auction has a starting bid of like 99 cents, I'll bid that just so I can have an easier time tracking the auction.

This, and if you are outbid, you get an email. No bid = no email and I might forget to bid.

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
I do that to things I dont intend to win and I know the ballpark going rate so that I dont end up buying them.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I bid early on things that have a starting bid about 20% lower then the going price, sometimes it discourages other bidders from bidding on the item and it ends up being mine for a decent discount. Otherwise I just use the lowest buy-it-now I can find. I usually don't bother bidding on .99 auctions.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I do that to things I dont intend to win and I know the ballpark going rate so that I dont end up buying them.

do what?

This, and if you are outbid, you get an email. No bid = no email and I might forget to bid.1

I'd only snipe, and put in my max bid the first time. If I get outbid by another sniper, then so be it.2

If an auction has a starting bid of like 99 cents, I'll bid that just so I can have an easier time tracking the auction.3

I just used bin on an intergalactic skeletor when my bid was too low 4

Some people have opposing approaches or methods with eBay. What you are describing is only your perspective...5somehow?

or maybe you're referencing something even further back? maybe even the title?

my real guess is you were trying to just say that you intentional attempt to shill everything you know about as a trool.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Most early bidders do that on purpose so the winning bidder doesn't get a good deal. Its the early bidder telling the winner of the auction go fuck your self. It sucks but that's the name of the game.
Or they might just be doing it to raise the price for the seller, so they get a decent price for it. Why do they bother making it harder for the winning bidder to win at a decent price? It only makes it harder for themselves to be the winner? Maybe it's just out of spite, but that can't be true in every case, as it happens too often. It must be because ebay is encouraging them to make a mistake and bid early.

I do wish eBay was like yahoo Japan (I think) where auctions are extended if someone bid at the last minute to prevent sniping.
Is there a Japanese auction site that's the equivalent of ebay? I don't know how to use the Japanese ebay.

Last edited:

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
Or they might just be doing it to raise the price for the seller, so they get a decent price for it. Why do they bother making it harder for the winning bidder to win at a decent price? It only makes it harder for themselves to be the winner? Maybe it's just out of spite, but that can't be true in every case, as it happens too often. It must be because ebay is encouraging them to make a mistake and bid early.

Is there a Japanese auction site that's the equivalent of ebay? I don't know how to use the Japanese ebay.

Yahoo Japan auction. The price isn't cheap though. With shipping, it is easier to find a better deal on ebay.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I do wish eBay was like yahoo Japan (I think) where auctions are extended if someone bid at the last minute to prevent sniping.
What the fuck dude?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Yea, that's called shill bidding and it happens a lot on many auction sites. Sometimes you'll see a item bid for crazy money and than 2 weeks later that same item is up for auction. Don't get caught up in bidding wars. Eventually the item you want will pop up buy it now below the average price.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Yea, that's called shill bidding and it happens a lot on many auction sites. Sometimes you'll see a item bid for crazy money and than 2 weeks later that same item is up for auction. Don't get caught up in bidding wars. Eventually the item you want will pop up buy it now below the average price.
what I'm really talking about is where people do it out of ignorance, not so much where it's intentional.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
what I'm really talking about is where people do it out of ignorance, not so much where it's intentional.

I don't understand what you mean by ignorance. So someone who bids early is ignorant because they have a set price they are willing to pay? You want ebay to give you special privileges and allow you to win every auction at your price.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
So someone who bids early is ignorant because they have a set price they are willing to pay? You want ebay to give you special privileges and allow you to win every auction at your price.

its not a special privelege! early bidding only drives up the price! just because its an open auction, doesn't mean you can do auction stuff. its just rude and stupid! /sarc.

anyone else ever not bid on stuff that has an ''early bid'' on it just because someone else wants it? not just because it would cost more? maybe you weren't that nice but you still let something go because that made you decide you didn't really want it?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
its not a special privelege! early bidding only drives up the price! just because its an open auction, doesn't mean you can do auction stuff. its just rude and stupid! /sarc.

anyone else ever not bid on stuff that has an ''early bid'' on it just because someone else wants it? not just because it would cost more? maybe you weren't that nice but you still let something go because that made you decide you didn't really want it?

Rude, lol. Okay let's say I've been watching a item for example. The item is a complete SF zero 3 for the SS. The auction is 5 days at a starting price of $50. I go ahead and bid on it at $50 and put in a max bid at $85. There are 25 watchers and at the last 5 minutes someone outbids me at $86. I'm not going any higher. Auction ends at $118 and someone else wins it . What difference did my early bid make. If somone wants it bad enough they will get it early bid or not. It doesn't matter whether you bid early or not. Somone could drop a $150 bid on the last 5 seconds of the auction.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What difference did my early bid make. If somone wants it bad enough they will get it early bid or not. It doesn't matter whether you bid early or not. Somone could drop a $150 bid on the last 5 seconds of the auction.
THIS.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
eBay is what it is, each one of us use different tactics and approaches, all together or not. What really sucks is to not get the item at the desired price, not the way you miss it.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
http://www.ebay.co.jp
Or is that not ebay even though it looks like it?

The Japanese version of Ebay was a big failure and never caught on. All the good stuff you'd normally find on Ebay is on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Sign up for a proxy bidding service like ShoppingMallJapan and start bidding away on all the cigarette smoke-filled arcade games you can buy!

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don't understand what you mean by ignorance. So someone who bids early is ignorant because they have a set price they are willing to pay? You want ebay to give you special privileges and allow you to win every auction at your price.
There might be cases where it is not ignorance, where for example they have a set amount they can pay. But other bidders will often just raise the maximum bid by a dollar in that case. So they can easily lose the chance to buy the item, by doing that. If you're willing to buy the item at that maximum price, it's likely others are willing to buy it at a dollar more.

In some cases people can't be on ebay when the auction closes. But they still might lose the chance to win, doing it that way. People can use portable devices like ipads these days.
If there are early bids, it shows other people there is interest in the item, which can also jack up the price.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
All those BIN listings are for the early bid people. You bid and you win instantly. XD

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
This, and if you are outbid, you get an email. No bid = no email and I might forget to bid.

This. But also putting in an early bid can help to scare off other people who might watch the auction simply because it has no bids and they think it will go for cheap. An early bid encourages them to look elsewhere and can possibly reduce competition for the item in the long run. If it results in fewer late bidders you can get a better deal.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You should have been here during the SNK4EVA days, it was a second account for vwlunatic on ebay, he would bid on EVERYTHING MVS related. I made a thread about it a long time ago because he was bidding on everything and killing great BIN prices. IIRC some were like Pulstars for $50 BIN and he would bid 99 cents and kill the BIN option.