Earlier build of Last Resort?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I got a Last Resort MVS cart in with a bunch of other MVS carts today. It didn't have an original label (just a crappy white label with 'Last Resort' written in marker on it). I opened it up to clean the boards but the boards were different to any other MVS cart I've owned.

The boards are on CHA-EPG and Prog EP boards filled with eproms with SNK stickers. The game plays different from regular Last Resort. Enemy ships are different, the enemy waves are different, the pilots don't eject etc.

I've only had a quick go on level one at the moment, so not sure what else has changed.

I'm going to get the eproms removed and dumped. Is it just early build of Last Resort? Proto?

SAM_4222_zps2igqgkq2.jpg

AESGuy

New Challenger
Wow that sounds weird.:D I am curious what else is different and what experts might have to tell us about. Please keep us updated.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yes, get those roms dumped and into the wild, don't let anyone try to snag it from you as it will just be hoarded.

sylphia

Kuroko's Training Dummy
nice find ! Based on the handwritten date and the typical SNK eprom labels, I would say that this is an early build of the game, probably used for promotion or testing purposes.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Yes, get those roms dumped and into the wild, don't let anyone try to snag it from you as it will just be hoarded.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I've contacted a guy who does board repair work in the UK to see if he can dump them for me and then I'll get them released.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
For many many years it has been known that there is a proto version of this game that has *significantly* less slowdown than the released game. Fingers crossed that this is that version, although the rearranged levels in and of itself is super exciting. Great score for sure.

Now somebody find the 3 Count Bout proto with the missing wrestlers in it !! :)

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
For many many years it has been known that there is a proto version of this game that has *significantly* less slowdown than the released game. Fingers crossed that this is that version, although the rearranged levels in and of itself is super exciting. Great score for sure.

Now somebody find the 3 Count Bout proto with the missing wrestlers in it !! :)

Wait Wait? Missing wrestlers? Like who?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Imagine all the treasures that go unrecognized because people like me don't know what to look for.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Good for you man and thank you for being willing to dump this for the world!

It definitely is a proto/beta of Last Resort. The date code on those eproms are from Jan 1992. A few months before the actual release date. No telling how far along they were on this, the Burning Fight and ASO2 proto I released were a few months early as well and contained significant differences.

Don't sell it! You have something very unique there.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
This is VERY cool. Can you get us some footage before you send it off? Like a run of the first level.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
This is VERY cool. Can you get us some footage before you send it off? Like a run of the first level.

I can get some footage for sure, my camera game is a bit lacking, though, but it should be decent enough. I'll get some up soon.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I can get some footage for sure, my camera game is a bit lacking, though, but it should be decent enough. I'll get some up soon.

Congrats on the find & being observant. Looking forward to the video

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice find Chris, I wish I stumbled upon a Neo Proto/early build cart. I agree, don't sell it. Keep it as long as you can. It would be interesting to see what differences there are between the final and early version.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Nice find, for it has been forceen in the prophecies that one man would find the ancient roms and dump them on the world called the innawebz. ..

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Excellent! I can't wait to see pics and video of this in action.