*DREAMCAST QUESTION* VGA BOX vs CABLE? WTF 20characters BUAHHHH

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So what in the hell is the difference between a VGA - BOX........and a VGA Cable for the Dreamcast?

I looked on ebay and its like an $80 difference (the VGA BOX goes to like $100) and VGA Cables run around 19+.

The cables look to fit on the system as it were an Svideo, Composite, etc.

so what is the deal?

- Looking to buy a high-res cable for the DC and a Component cable for the Cube if anyone has one for sale.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The VGA cables have all the electronics packed into the connector hoods. They should be the exact same thing.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
youve seen VGA cables for DC @ 19 bucks? the cheapest ones i've come across ahve been 25 or so

Crissaegrim

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I think the boxes have extra connections for svid and rca out. You can flip a switch and have any connection.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
For the prices you are mentioning, I guess the "VGAbox" is the official Sega one, that costs around 100$, and the 20$ are the unofficial ones, which should work just the same. I've never heard of a VGA-only cable for the DC, and still a cheap VGA-box should be better.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
VGA Cables run around 19+.

finally.

there had been like a drought a month or two ago and everyone was price jacking anything dc vga related.

cable or box its no big difference. boxes usually give you svid and composite outs extra. but theres really no electronics involved in making the dc output vga (aside from three caps and maybe a resistor or two.)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
OK, just saw the so-called VGA cables on ebay. They are exactly the same as a VGA box but without the extra A/V outputs.

Yes, VGA boxes were out of stock everywhere for the past months. I was actually looking for one and finished buying 2 in this forum.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
awesome, so now which connector would I need to properly convert the VGA out to Component out?

My 360 is hooked up to my VGA port on my LCD and I would prefer to keep it at that if I can get an adaptor that will pass the VGA signal via Component.

(thanks for the link Neon, I grabbed a cable from them)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
mannerbot said:
From what I've seen most VGA cables don't have audio outputs.

dcvga02.jpg

:D

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
NeoCverA said:
awesome, so now which connector would I need to properly convert the VGA out to Component out?

My 360 is hooked up to my VGA port on my LCD and I would prefer to keep it at that if I can get an adaptor that will pass the VGA signal via Component.

(thanks for the link Neon, I grabbed a cable from them)

Either a VGA cable or VGA box for DC would work just the same. You would need some VGA->component converter and that should be more expensive. I would recommend you to directly use the VGA port of your LCD for the DC, and switch with the 360, or buy a VGA splitter. Or just use the 360 via component instead.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I have two different boxes, ones grey and the others clear. Te first one pooped out in a couple days and the second ones very touchy now. Ive barely used this one also. I couldnt get it to work on my tv so Im using it on a computer monitor.
Looks pretty awesome.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I would suggest either the Blaze VGA box or the Performance VGA box( this one has a VGA passthrough).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Kiel said:
I would suggest either the Blaze VGA box or the Performance VGA box( this one has a VGA passthrough).

I would not recommend the Blaze for normal use...

Mine gives me all sorts of trouble from time to time...

For VGA only, I'd get a cable... Less other electronics to interfere...