Dramatic sentencing hearing expected in Bowe Bergdahl case

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Thanks for the insight, gg.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I served with a guy who was in Bergdahl's platoon and was there when he wandered off. According to him, he was always off but he was mainly in the category of soldier who would just do their initial contract and get out, the type who would never aspire to anything and would get caught doing dumb shit. I love my infantry brothers, but they aren't known for getting the cream of the crop in terms of intellect for their enlisted ranks and, much like the cav, have a dark sense of humor and a much different mindset. If you have never served, you would not truly understand, and I mean that in the least condescending way.

Bergdahl had issues with his chain of command and made it clear he didn't agree with how things were being run on his deployment. Granted he was only a private back then, so he wasn't always made aware of how grievances could be addressed. One day, he just walked off and the platoon was in chaos. Desertion is huge, especially during that time and a Soldier wandering by themselves in enemy territory is a show stopper echelons above him.

There was an image I'll never forget of a retired Sergeant First Class who was shot in the head on one of several rescue missions to save him. He now has limited physical and mental functioning, and I believe the round is still in his brain. His family, consisting of a wife and several teenage daughters, now have to wipe his ass and care for him like an invalid.

The kid wasn't bright, but he knew what he was doing. Traitor? Most likely not. Coward? Absolutely. The amount of resources put into finding him would be the same regardless of the reason for walking, because we get our troops back no matter what. I just know that if he ends up in Leavenworth with the general population, he will most likely die within the next year.

Yes, he was an idiot, and what he did deserved punishment. And yes, we don't leave soldiers behind for a lot of reasons - but foremost, because there are good soldiers who don't need to have any doubt in their mind that the USA has their back. If the nutcases like Alex Jones had their way, they would have left a lot of "bad soldiers" behind, ignoring the effect this would have on the mental state of rest of the military.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
And yes, we don't leave soldiers behind for a lot of reasons - but foremost, because there are good soldiers who don't need to have any doubt in their mind that the USA has their back.

This is an excellent point that hand't even occurred to me. I also did more reading, and apparently desertion is a common thing in the military (though I would imagine less so in combat) and is usually not punished outside of a discharge. Obviously what this guy did had far worse consequences than most, but it also isn't helping that it's turned into yet another political wedge issue.

Also, GG's post really shows that the opinions of know-nothing civvies like the rest of us shouldn't count for shit. The military has their own court system for a reason.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Dishonorable discharge and rank reduced to private and needs to pay back $10k worth of pay. No prison time.

I think pres trumps a total disgrace.

Hey you tools saying people got killed looking for him, where's a credible source? The preliminary and discovery found no such evidence and neither have I.
You're tools.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Dishonorable discharge and rank reduced to private and needs to pay back $10k worth of pay. No prison time.

I think pres trumps a total disgrace.

Hey you tools saying people got killed looking for him, where's a credible source? The preliminary and discovery found no such evidence and neither have I.
You're tools.

Glad to see justice and common sense prevailed.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Not gonna lie; I was glad to see him not get prison time. Yeah, what this guy did was wrong, and IF people were wounded or killed looking for him, then that's of course shitty. He was obviously a troubled person with mental issues who shouldn't have been where he was, and I can't imagine how much worse off he is now after 5 years of captivity in Afghanistan. If he can get the help and treatment that he needs, and find a way to eventually lead a happy life, then everything that was done in an effort to rescue him will not have been done in vain.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Honestly one of the most psychotic things I've read here

Execute all deserters and support/vote for draft evaders. Makes sense, evade evade evade!

Marek

Banned
That's a pretty flippant and disrespectful remark to make about the men and women in our military. Why don't you just go ahead and tell all our troops to fuck off while you're at it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Caught, brought to trial, and executed is the way. I say make an example out of them.

Are his comments really going over your head?

It seems like you don't get the irony.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yo popperz, sat night here already drunk, I re-read your post like 5 times and still don't get it, are you insinuating Ash was being ironic? cuz i think he's serious. please explain. cheers mate

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
yo popperz, sat night here already drunk, I re-read your post like 5 times and still don't get it, are you insinuating Ash was being ironic? cuz i think he's serious. please explain. cheers mate

I didn't even read it and I don't get, that's a pretty aussie response too mate.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I didn't even read it and I don't get, that's a pretty aussie response too mate.

cheers cobba

btw do you give a fuck if a dude ran away during a battle and then got imprisoned by the enemy for five years and would you still want him to get executed upon returning to your country

i wonder what Ash thinks of Snowden?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
cheers cobba

btw do you give a fuck if a dude ran away during a battle and then got imprisoned by the enemy for five years and would you still want him to get executed upon returning to your country

i wonder what Ash thinks of Snowden?

Execution's a bit harsh, just make him drink copious amounts of crappy american beer until he's sick for the next 10 years.

Marek

Banned

Charlie responded with two quotes that Donald Trump has actually said to service members and their families and neo ash is like, "dude that is disrespectful"

The first is what he said the the widow of the dead solider from Niger. The second he said about John McCain, saying he likes his war heros not captured. Neo Ash didn't seem to get the point.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Charlie responded with two quotes that Donald Trump has actually said to service members and their families and neo ash is like, "dude that is disrespectful"

The first is what he said the the widow of the dead solider from Niger. The second he said about John McCain, saying he likes his war heros not captured. Neo Ash didn't seem to get the point.

Don’t forget Trump’s fight with the Khan family.

He’s not a conservative. He’s a populist who hijacked the party, and none of those bums have the dick to take it back.

Marek

Banned
Can you get the point of go fuck yourself? :glee:

No. You simple fuck. I'm trying to be respectful to you, despite your social intellectual deficiencies. I recognize you're quite intelligent, but only about spergy things.

My6i5ez.gif

Come at me!

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
No. You simple fuck. I'm trying to be respectful to you, despite your social intellectual deficiencies. I recognize you're quite intelligent, but only about spergy things.

My6i5ez.gif

Come at me!

I'm not going to play this silly back and forth bullshit game with you.

Marek

Banned
I'm not going to play this silly back and forth bullshit game with you.

Whatever Ashy!

The fact that you missed wasabis point entirely, and apparently weren't even aware of the quotes he was referring to, show quite well how mentally manipulated and politically one-dimensional/shallow you are.

But hey my dad is from Cobb county and I know quite well what your environment is like. Do you have a 2 hour commute to the burbs, out of curiosity? If you do, Do you listen to right wing radio the entire time? I only ask because that's the program for a shitload of people who would make threads like this one.

Last edited:

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member

lolololol.
I was initially going to respond to his post with a whoosh but it's too late now.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lolololol.
I was initially going to respond to his post with a whoosh but it's too late now.

Every post you make is something about me.

I got what wasabi said right away, I just thought Popz was talking to me and not Ash for whatever reason.