Does anyone own a Oculus Rift?

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
...and people STILL think I'm a shitty moderator.

Well....fwiw - You always leave me satisfied and smiling.

Are you implying its not?!
Nice avatar btw. :lolz:
I know your curiosity is going to make you read this post anyway :)

Is there ANY way possible we can lock Shroom and Wildo into a forum or singular thread for a couple days? I think I could raise some money for it.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
My friend has purchased it, I tried it at his house.
After 45 minutes I got motion sickness, but it was well worth it.
Your head movements control the camera, so it's immersive as fuck.
Though you can still control the camera with the mouse so it gets a bit confusing.
I played a little skyrim though the cursor was a bother.

Basicly there are two screens, one for each eye and the cursor was apparent on both so it causes some dizziness for me.

Team fortress 2 was awesome, I played the bazooka guy and it really seemed as if the bazooka was on my shoulders.

There is also some walk around game, where you are stranded on some island.
There is also gonna be compatibility with Hawken, it's a fps where you are in a mech.

This is gonna be awesome for horror survival games.

But I would suggest that you guys wait for retail release, they are many bugs with the current games.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I have a one. It's pretty darn cool, but if you don't already have one... just wait for an improved retail version.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
indeed. i played with one for a few weeks. Resolution is pretty low on the dev units.

I thought it was just another VR headset, but it will definitely find it's niche at launch. They did a great job of getting these to the right developers.

I don't think it will be mainstream though. There's no advantage in competitive gaming.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
dont think enough people care to start a new thread but oculus vr was just purchased by facebook. Leaves me curios as to what facebook is doing.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I hope they'll get involved with amusement parks so more people can check it out. I was huge into VR in the early 90's. I remember going to the Jersey Shore with my family and they had this one place where you could play a Robotech style Vs. game and I had a lot of fun with it. I'd love to check out what they can do with the updated technology. It's fucking sad when you go to Disney Quest in Orlando. They've got two VR games, Ride the Comix and Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride. I was talking to a worker and he told me that every morning when they turn the VR games on the systems are running on Windows 95. The headsets are fucking garbage now. They reek from being on sweaty people's heads and the displays are terrible. Last one I played had pieces of felt from the headset falling into it and the screen was so blurry it hurt my eyes. If Disney Quest didn't bomb it'd be awesome to see them port those two games to modern PC's.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
dont think enough people care to start a new thread but oculus vr was just purchased by facebook. Leaves me curios as to what facebook is doing.

The idea of sharing experiences is totally fitting for Facebook.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member

nojWx.gif

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
one day we'll be proud to say we had real sex.

It will feel like 1996 all over again.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, John Carmack is a Facebook employee... mass hysteria!

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
What a shame. I was really looking forward to occulus too. Facebook will ruin it.

Notch already killed a deal for an occulus supported minecraft due to this.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
What a shame. I was really looking forward to occulus too. Facebook will ruin it.

Notch already killed a deal for an occulus supported minecraft due to this.

Very shocking news indeed, WTF is Facebook thinking? Some scary thoughts are coming to mind. I don't blame notch one bit for canceling that deal, I would be kinda pissed off too if I dropped 10 grand on a excellent source funded idea for games only to have it scooped up by a mega-corporation just because they can.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Soon you can play Farmville....in THREEEEEEE DEEEEEE!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I can't wait to have an integrated Facebook news feed in every single game. Really makes the immersion of horror and adventure games that much more thanks to that.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

Regardless of what people think about Facebook, they have deep pockets, and they have the money to really help develop the Oculus into a serious product. Sony and Google are both working on augmented reality and VR technology, and let's be honest... Some little upstart is going to be nimble, and Oculus had some great people working on it already, but they were no competition for the R&D budget of a Google or Sony.

So, the Facebook deal makes a lot of sense, if you're in the Oculus bandcamp. The interesting question here is... Since Oculus started as a crowd funded project, and I can see that batch of early supporters feeling a little jaded that they helped launch a company that basically "sold-out" to big corporate.

The deal wasn't even that huge. They were bought for $2 billion on the books, but that was $500 mil in cash and the rest in stock. So, a lot of that is just funny money and hope that Facebook keeps beating expectations every quarter (and they've been doing fantastic, as of late).

There are also some interesting things Facebook could do with the Oculus Rift. Cyber sex jokes aside, there is an amazing possibility here for VR meetings and events, and other social applications. Having that will really put Facebook on the map for meetings, and put a dent in WebEx, GotoMeeting, and even Google Plus. I'd definitely use an Oculus meet up over a Google Plus Hangout any day.

So, call me cautiously optimistic on this one. Facebook spent 19 billion last month on Whatsup and everyone was scratching their heads. 2 billion on Oculus seems like a steal, in retrospect, and the possibilities of really getting a killer VR headset out of this multiplied about tenfold with Zuckerberg signing the checks.

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
another platform to collect ad revenue

awesome!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
All interest is now lost, literally lost.

Fuck Oculus Rift!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Maybe Facebook will try to make their own unique VR console and join the console war.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm hoping they'll alter the design now so it looks like you're putting on a replica of Zuckerberg's face.