Do you just buy things and never utilize them?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I buy books I don't read, movies I don't watch, art supplies I don't use, games I don't play, clothes I don't wear, toys I don't open, etc. I might as well just burn the money. All I do anymore is work and dick around on social media. Time just slips through my fingers like water without purpose everyday.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I spend more time researching whatever it is I want to buy than I do using it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've been making a more concentrated effort to beat games I've owned for a long time and never legit finished them.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
This is unplugging from the matrix talk, be careful with that. Relevant, but dangerous.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes, I impulse buy shit all the time. I end up selling it down the road.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I spend more time researching whatever it is I want to buy than I do using it.

This is definitely me.

I also try not to buy a multitude of cheap video games anymore. I used to be in the habit of buying a bunch of cheap imports for a wash of different platforms. I had plenty of games that weren’t noteworthy and I didn’t really feel like playing them. Over the years my collection has shrunk, but the quality of the games has gone up. That way I’m not stuck with games that I’m not truly sold on.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've got video games that I've never opened.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sounds like me 20-30 years ago. Now I'm a tightwad that tries to get the most out of the stuff I buy these days.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I’m still trying to dig my way out of thousands of games I’ll never play.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
This is definitely me.

I also try not to buy a multitude of cheap video games anymore. I used to be in the habit of buying a bunch of cheap imports for a wash of different platforms. I had plenty of games that weren’t noteworthy and I didn’t really feel like playing them. Over the years my collection has shrunk, but the quality of the games has gone up. That way I’m not stuck with games that I’m not truly sold on.

I used to do that too (okay, I still do). Probably half of my Nintendo DS collection are games that were $1-3 at GameStop and I says to myself, why not, they're cheap? That's how I end up with shit like the Jonas Bros. in my collection. I used to do the same shit with the mail order Funcoland catalog too when I was a teenager. Why buy 3 $10 games that are good when I can get 10 $3 games that are shit for the same price?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like me 20-30 years ago. Now I'm a tightwad that tries to get the most out of the stuff I buy these days.

That’s me as well. I think I bought fewer than 10 games in all of 2020...including digital purchases for Switch and Xbone.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
produce.

I buy produce I don't eat. usually lettuce. I need to rethink my grocery shopping style.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Specifically related to videogames, I purged my entire collection years ago because I was spending more time researching and buying videogames than I was playing them and I had a big pile of carts and disks I didn't really give a shit about. Felt great, now I only have what I actually play or has meaningful, sentimental value to me, and I have a massive steam backlog to get through. I don't miss my old collection at all, but I find it hard to say no to arcade PCBs at this moment in life, especially if it's "a good deal". Sure, I could have that $150 PCB for $50 but it's a game I don't really like, they take up a lot of space and PCBs can give up the ghost at any time. I also hate selling shit to people I don't know, when I do it's usually a fire sale or I just give it away.

Semi-related, but I also find myself thinking about/picking up a random hobby. My brain's wired no good, I just get obsessed with random shit and either get exhausted and force myself to stop or spend money on stuff and end up never using it. This year it was miniature painting and I bought a bunch of paints and brushes and have painted exactly three minis. Model kits, airbrushing, carpentry, music, fishing, animation, you name it I've probably tossed too much money at it for what I got out of it. Like twice a year I have to talk myself out of grabbing a skateboard. The last 5 years the only ones I've really stuck with is mountain biking, gunpla (I have like 8 unbuilt kits to go through) and bass guitar (which I haven't even touched in a good while)

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Definitely fruit. It is already a gamble whether fruit is good/spoiled, and I usually wait until the last minute to try them. Apples/oranges are the worst.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I don't usually make new years resolutions, but I'm definitely trying to use all the food I buy.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
definitely less now, but it still happens.
I consciously think about it before buying plastic crap especially. will this sit in a box? a shelf? Can i get it later if i really wanted it?
FOMO is still there, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it used to be. I thank a lot of collector hoarders on YT for helping me break this habit.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Reading Gmegbln's post I think I really need to find some hobby that doesn't involve consumerism at all. It's too easy to start buying stuff to make up for actually not doing anything related to the hobby and get trapped into that pattern forever. For videogames for instance after the advent of everdrives I've been able to stop actually buying software, but I still buy dumb consoles I'm never gonna use from time to time.

I should start hiking or something, I dunno.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Not really anymore. No more buying up records and games left and right. Last thing I was buying a lot of that weren't getting used were shoes. I'd see a pair I liked, that fit well and on sale, especially if they were shoes I knew I really liked and already had a pair. I'd get another in a different color or even the same ones just to have a pair for when the first wore out or got fucked up.. Ended up with like 20+ pairs in 2 years. Sold some, gave some away but I probably still have enough to last me the next 10 years easily.

When I do now it's usually something practical like cables, tools, art supplies or such.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Not really, I suppose I’m a bit of a tight ass.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I can't even play video games because of nerve entrapment issues in one of my hands.

Yet, I still buy them.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
I'm guilty of impulse buying shit all the time. Some of it never leaves the box it was shipped in. :(