Do you ever feel depressed that your life is going nowhere ?

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for all the replies dudes. Most of you seem to think I'm so basic basement dweller. But that is actually not the case. I'm married, have a son and a second one on the way. I have a decent job (IT) and my wife is a career lady. So we have no money issues. I've been to all continents except Australia and Antarctica. So my life is not that bad.
If it was just videogames it wouldn't be that bad. But its also toys, comics, vinyl, movies,... I love it all. I can't just part with it I need to collect it all.
I have got rid of almost all my Laserdiscs and vintage mac computers but something always quickly takes its place.
Even things I got for free I can't throw away.
I sorta went through a similar cycle, for me it was do to lack of fulfillment from my job actually. I made decent money, comfortably built up my savings and dumped money in to hobbies like buying games, but didn't really get any satisfaction from it. I was just continuing to build a backlog and buying games just for the hell of it, but decided to mix things up and request a role change.

Needless to say, I failed at my new role, got fired and moved on, but was much more selective in my next job. I could have floated that job for another five or so years, but that just depressed me more thinking I'd just be repeating the same mundane task with little change. Pick up a new skill or something, perhaps you just feel stagnant in your current state.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah man, if you're having that hard of a time getting rid of stuff that may require serious help. It's usually a sign of a subconscious lack of control over something major in your life and the addiction angle is a big sign.

Also:

Get a hobby that doesn't involve collecting and hoarding.

Pick something you've always wanted to learn and start even if it's just watching beginners tutorials on YT. Instead of surfing for junk online, which is a huge time sink.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Pick something you've always wanted to learn and start even if it's just watching beginners tutorials on YT. Instead of surfing for junk online, which is a huge time sink.
Lol, for me, I was in a rut doing software testing, and wanted to dabble in something hardware related for a change and picked up a DOA Big Red cabinet to repair. Hope to eventually see if I can write some software for the NG for fun someday to bring it full circle 🤣

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I sorta went through a similar cycle, for me it was do to lack of fulfillment from my job actually. I made decent money, comfortably built up my savings and dumped money in to hobbies like buying games, but didn't really get any satisfaction from it. I was just continuing to build a backlog and buying games just for the hell of it, but decided to mix things up and request a role change.

Needless to say, I failed at my new role, got fired and moved on, but was much more selective in my next job. I could have floated that job for another five or so years, but that just depressed me more thinking I'd just be repeating the same mundane task with little change. Pick up a new skill or something, perhaps you just feel stagnant in your current state.
This (y) you are right on the money!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You're trying to fill a void. Toys aren't going to do that. Learn a new language. Learn how to play an instrument. Take up calligraphy. Learn how to paint. Something that can bring satisfaction because it's something you developed. Having a toy come in the mail and putting it on a shelf isn't something you'll ever be proud of.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You're trying to fill a void. Toys aren't going to do that. Learn a new language. Learn how to play an instrument. Take up calligraphy. Learn how to paint. Something that can bring satisfaction because it's something you developed. Having a toy come in the mail and putting it on a shelf isn't something you'll ever be proud of.
but but but, I only paid $560 and it's worth $730 according to weeb4lyfe dot com

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
but but but, I only paid $560 and it's worth $730 according to weeb4lyfe dot com
Haha, zing. I totally fell into that trap when thrifting, kept buying gaming merch just because it was a good deal (and well below market value!). Then it snowballed to a stockpile of gaming crap I don't care for and get stressed out when I think about the effort to actually list, sell and ship it all.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
And if you’re learning a skill - more and more expensive gear won’t improve whatever it is your doing unless you have mastered what you’re doing.

“if I only had x my y” would improve. No, it won’t. Not until you’ve outgrown the tools you have and there is something you want to do that you can’t with what you have.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
On that note please remember:

The purpose of doing a thing is for the pleasure of it.

the purpose of doing a thing is not simply to be good at it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
On that note please remember:

The purpose of doing a thing is for the pleasure of it.

the purpose of doing a thing is not simply to be good at it.
The purpose of doing a thing should be for one or more of these three reasons, to get the:

-money
-women
-power

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
And if you’re learning a skill - more and more expensive gear won’t improve whatever it is your doing unless you have mastered what you’re doing.

“if I only had x my y” would improve. No, it won’t. Not until you’ve outgrown the tools you have and there is something you want to do that you can’t with what you have.
This, so many times this.

I know people in the art world wether it's drawing, painting, photography, film making, music production that never do shit because they believe they need the best stuff to do it and they just end up owning a bunch of expensive stuff they don't know how to use. Then they get pissed off because when they do occasionally try and make something it sucks and blame it on anything except their lack of skill and experience.

A $200 pencil isn't going to make you draw better. Drawing everyday will. It will definitely make you look like an idiot that can't use their fancy $200 pencil.

That's not to say cheap out but start with decent entry level stuff and stick with it till it's second nature and slowly add to it and upgrade over time.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

This is just another action figure collector mentality masquerading as a need to accomplish something.

"I'm trying to learn guitar so I need a '59 Les Paul"

I remember giving lessons to an older gentleman. Our first lesson he asked "how much do you think my shoes cost?" and spent the next 30 minutes telling me how rich he was. Never practiced. Bought a year of lessons up front and came to 3 before he said he was too busy. Told me to keep the money because it was chump change to him. Dude sunk tens of thousands into his gear and just gave it up.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I like the Harbor Freight analogy: if you need a tool and you’re not sure you’ll use it frequently buy it cheap from harbor freight. If it ever breaks from use then buy a better one.