Do we have to change CPS-2 every 3-5 years?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I got xmen vs street fighter board two weeks ago and i decided to change battery myself. I looked at the original battery on the board and it said Oct 1996. WTF? 18 years old battery and it's still running?

This makes me think if we have to change battery every 3-5 years.........hmmm

Any thought?

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I got xmen vs street fighter board two weeks ago and i decided to change battery myself. I looked at the original battery on the board and it said Oct 1996. WTF? 18 years old battery and it's still running?

This makes me think if we have to change battery every 3-5 years.........hmmm

Any thought?

Yea, I recently changed the batteries on all my boards and the oldest battery said 94-02. So... dunno where 3-5 yrs comes from, but thats what is recommended.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Im still chaning batterys out that have been on there for 20 years. I think what you have to be careful of is how old the "new" battery is that you are putting on there. I wont be worrying about the ones i have changed for 10 years personally.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
It's a safety guideline. I've opened original batteries as well. It likely depends a lot on usage - if it's been in an arcade where the board was on for 12-16 hours per day there's a lot less miles on the factory battery than might seem.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
I change mine every 5 years. I lost a 3rd strike board after 3 years using a varta battery. fuck you varta.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's every 5 years as a general rule since some people might not have optimal storage conditions. Usually around 5 years is before any corrosion starts happening. If you are afraid of battery acid leaking over everything simply store the B boards label side down.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I don't own any CPS2 hardware but eventually I'm going to get into it..

Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) but I was under the impression that pheonixed boards don't need the battery? The battery change has to be done for pcbs running on the original untouched roms?

:scratch:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I don't own any CPS2 hardware but eventually I'm going to get into it..

Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) but I was under the impression that pheonixed boards don't need the battery? The battery change has to be done for pcbs running on the original untouched roms?

:scratch:

correct