DISCS OF TRON XBLA!!!

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Fuck me, one of my all time favorite games!!!

I need to get a 360 eventually, when they finally work and rrod are all sorted out :annoyed:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Is this game really that good? Even with sticks instead of the original controls? I'm gonna try the demo out tonight, but I wanna hear some more details from you full game-havin' honchos...

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
My brief review of DoT for XBLA:

DoT is fairly well done. It does a decent job of mapping the fairly complex control scheme to the 360 pad. I almost got 30k in pretty short order. In Enhanced mode, you get the awesome environmental background from the full cabinet version, with a bit of added luster that looks nice.

My only complaint is that very few of the voice samples survived the emulation.
You barely hear Sark laugh a few times when he kills you. Meh.

Despite this, it remains a super-playable game that was WAY ahead of its time, a true classic in every sense of the word that has remained somewhat of a coin-op legend. Of course, it's scarcity as a cabinet and near non-existence on consoles makes it a welcome $5 addition to anyone's XBLA library.

(edit-I think it fared much better emulation-wise than the original Tron)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
-snipped like a dude done fathered eight kids-
Much appreciated- I hate how Midway always makes their XBLA demos last about 3 minutes. I mean damn, between DoT and Robotron 2084, if you're any good at all, you still have no idea at all what you'll get in the full game. Compared to some of the better demos, jeez, guys, live a little.

For 400 points, I may have to take the plunge on that one.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
jro said:
Much appreciated- I hate how Midway always makes their XBLA demos last about 3 minutes. I mean damn, between DoT and Robotron 2084, if you're any good at all, you still have no idea at all what you'll get in the full game. Compared to some of the better demos, jeez, guys, live a little.

For 400 points, I may have to take the plunge on that one.
XBLA Demos of these games at 3-minutes? Ouch.
If you want to play Robotron 2084 on the free, Midway has it on their website:
http://www.midway.com/us/ClassicGames.html
You'll need Adobe Shockwave though.

Some of their online games let you use a pad. Others you're stuck with a keyboard.
I don't remember which do which at the moment.

/thread derailment off

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
XBLA Demos of these games at 3-minutes? Ouch.
If you want to play Robotron 2084 on the free, Midway has it on their website:
http://www.midway.com/us/ClassicGames.html
You'll need Adobe Shockwave though.

Some of their online games let you use a pad. Others you're stuck with a keyboard.
I don't remember which do which at the moment.

/thread derailment off
3 minutes is actually on the high side- it's the first two levels of each. Maybe more like 45 seconds of Robotron!

Thanks for the link! :buttrock: